An interesting call

Lucken

Verified Owner
Cars
Lucid Pure, BMW i4
Referral Code
97KPWDUB
I just received a call from Lucid to let me know the first NYC location would be opening shortly with the second one on Long Island to follow in the 3rd quarter. Test drives would be available later this year.

I asked about the absence of air suspension and the response was it was still being explored. They'll be using a multi-link setup for now, but air suspension is not out of the question for the future.

In terms of service, locations were uncertain at this point, but the anticipation was that 90% of service could be done by the mobile vans much like Tesla. For service requiring more in-depth attention, a concierge service would be provided with a drop off loaner. At this point service locations are not known.

For most of you nothing here may be new, but I think the fact that they reached out to me was a nice touch & a welcome one.

They'll be using a multi-link setup for now, but air suspension is not out of the question for the future.

I was told the same thing when I called Lucid Sales. However, this is little solace to a Dream Edition buyer. I am still utterly perplexed how a car that first debuted in 2016 will enter production five years later with the suspension and door operation still not sorted out, especially as both use technologies that have been around for some years.

The three years since I put my deposit down is feeling very long right now and, as much as I hate its dashboard, I am considering getting a Tesla Model S Plaid to tide me over until the Air tri-motor comes out, in the hope Lucid will have things such as the suspension and door sensors figured out by then. I'm just no longer sure I want to lay down $169,000 for a car without ride height adjustment or doors that can be closed without contorting your neck under a roof rail only to have those things addressed a few months later.

I bought over 10,000 shares of CCIV because of my confidence in Lucid's drivetrain technology lead and don't regret it. I'm just not sure the Dream Edition is the best choice in owning one with certain things still not sorted by now.

I can’t say I blame you given that Lucid, despite going into production shortly, still seems to be evolving in some critical areas that should have been sorted out by now.

With that said, forgetting that the Plaid subjectively looks to me to be fitted with what looks like an interior more befitting a $35,000 Toyota, I caution you regarding the fit & finish of the Tesla. Having had the MS, followed by the Jaguar I-Pace and now my current Audi E-Tron Sportback, the latter 2 run circles around the Tesla in terms of build quality. There is literally no comparison. Both the I-Pace and the E-Tron are totally devoid of rattles, creaks and wind noise with a fit & finish that would embarrass any Tesla.

The I-Pace, IMO, had too much road noise to my liking, but the E-Tron is sublimely quiet and well insulated from road noise. If I’m spending over $100,000, I do not want to be subjected to rattles, wind noise, creaks and groans. Unfortunately these are the hallmarks of virtually any Tesla new or old, unless you are very lucky and get that rare unicorn.

Personally, nothing detracts from the enjoyment of a car more than rattles and poor fit & finish. It screams ‘poor quality’ to me.

My decision in choosing the Lucid Air Pure was based on two factors. First I didn’t choose to invest that much in what is essentially a start up. So much is unknown about the potential for Lucid’s longevity, I felt it best to keep the investment to a minimum. When you look at what’s out there now or coming in the luxury BEV market, this is going to be a tough segment to compete in.

Second, I was in no rush. I thought with the Pure being the last iteration released, Lucid would have had their act together by that time. We shall see. Frankly, I question whether Lucid will be able to match the ride quality and quietness of my E-Tron. I believe I had previously mentioned in another thread that Car & Driver claimed the only car they rode in that was any quieter, and then by only 1db, was a $335,000 Rolls.

Where Lucid will excel, and hence my interest, is range. However if I have to give up significant chunks of ride quality and noise suppression to get that range, I’ll stay with the Audi and ’struggle’ with 220 miles of range and a 5.5 second 0-60 time. I’ll manage. Fast charge times help compensate for relatively poor range as I’ve discovered. ;)

Finally, the other thing I find odd about Lucid, is their lack of feature differentiation from one trim level to another. Aside from distinctions such as range, motors and audio, I have little awareness as to what features are or aren’t in the various trim levels.

I caution you regarding the fit & finish of the Tesla.

I understand. However, I have been driving a 2015 Model S P90D since 2015. Its fit and finish are lackluster, but I have to say I've never experienced any creaks or rattles. This might be because I drive it in south Florida where potholes are few and things such as frost heaves don't exist. The car has had other issues, though, such as a broken weld joint in the battery pack that required the replacement of the pack and rear drive unit, and I'm on the second MCU and the third driver's door latch mechanism. (The extended warranty expires this month, and the prospect of driving it out of warranty due to the continued Air delays is part of my frustration with Lucid.)

The biggest reasons I was switching to an Air were the Model S's cramped rear seats and an interior design aesthetic that I have never liked. The Plaid has reportedly addressed the rear seating to some extent (doubtful that it's much), and the interior looks, if anything, have gotten worse. But, as I said, this car would be a placeholder until the tri-motor Air comes along.

I was in no rush.

I was just short of turning 67 when I placed my deposit on the Lucid. It's looking as if I'll be 70 when it is delivered. This gives me a different perspective on EVs that take years to get to market after being heavily teased. I'm experiencing the same frustration with repeated delays of the Rivian I have on order.

The belated arrival of the legacy manufacturers who will soon be flooding the market with alternative EVs is the reason I think Lucid and Rivian will be the last two EV start-ups with any chance of surviving.

I understand. However, I have been driving a 2015 Model S P90D since 2015. Its fit and finish are lackluster, but I have to say I've never experienced any creaks or rattles. This might be because I drive it in south Florida where potholes are few and things such as frost heaves don't exist. The car has had other issues, though, such as a broken weld joint in the battery pack that required the replacement of the pack and rear drive unit, and I'm on the second MCU and the third driver's door latch mechanism. (The extended warranty expires this month, and the prospect of driving it out of warranty due to the continued Air delays is part of my frustration with Lucid.)

The biggest reasons I was switching to an Air were the Model S's cramped rear seats and an interior design aesthetic that I have never liked. The Plaid has reportedly addressed the rear seating to some extent (doubtful that it's much), and the interior looks, if anything, have gotten worse. But, as I said, this car would be a placeholder until the tri-motor Air comes along.
Yup, that's it in a nutshell. Here in N.Y., our roads are riddled with potholes and those roads prove to be great testing grounds for body integrity. Both the I-Pace & E-Tron passed with flying colors, but my Tesla not so much. Even my wife's Lexus ES300h will occasionally rattle on these roads. I've spent quite a bit of time in Florida vacationing and visiting friends and my parents (when they were alive) and I don't think I ever drove a rental car there that rattled. If it rattles on those roads you've got one serious problem. ;)

The other issue that was always prevalent with my MS were software glitches. I would, at times, get all kinds of dire warnings regarding almost every conceivable system contained within the car. Fortunately none of this was real, only software issues. The only mechanical issues I had were the infamous door handles that wouldn't retract and a clogged windshield washer line. I also had an occasional loss of the backup camera, which was both a pain and a real safety issue. Both mechanical issues were handled by Tesla's mobile van. So kudos to them for mobile repair access.

I'm in your age category, actually a bit older, so I can well appreciate your frustration with the time it takes to bring these cars to market. I feel like I'm in a very compressed timeframe at this point, if you get my drift. However honestly, since I got the E-Tron, much of that pressure has been relieved since I've been so happy with the car...almost unexpectedly so. I'd suggest you take a peek at the Audi E-Tron and see if its seating fits your requirements. I think you'll be a lot happier with the interior feel than you will with the Tesla.

Last edited:
I think you'll be a lot happier with the interior feel than you will with the Tesla.

True that. I just watched a video by "OCDetailing" which did a cursory examination of a Model S Plaid that was delivered the other day.

The rear trunk spoiler was misaligned, the license plate holder rubbed against the paint, and an ill-fitting door gasket was protruding into the rear compartment. The reviewer said that it was "just another Tesla" in terms of fit and finish.

He also sat in the rear seat and said it was pretty much like the outgoing Model S except for the long-overdue center armrest.

True that. I just watched a video by "OCDetailing" which did a cursory examination of a Model S Plaid that was delivered the other day.

The rear trunk spoiler was misaligned, the license plate holder rubbed against the paint, and an ill-fitting door gasket was protruding into the rear compartment. The reviewer said that it was "just another Tesla" in terms of fit and finish.

He also sat in the rear seat and said it was pretty much like the outgoing Model S except for the long-overdue center armrest.
Yup, some things never change with Tesla. Apparently Musk knows he can sell a boatload of these to people who don't place build quality anywhere near the top of their criteria for purchasing. The 0-60 times seem to rule.

Lucid just released information that they have completed the builds of preproduction cars and have commenced building quality validation cars. I assume this means that the final design and engineering decisions such as suspension calibrations and motor controls have been locked down. The information also said Lucid now has more than 10,000 reservations.

That same report also talks about the acceleration of the next 2 phases of their factory. The photo below shows the land being prepared for the expansion is much bigger than the current factory. I am glad to see that they have that much confidence in both the Air and the Gravity.

1624394384294.png

1624394425347.png

Rawlinson said they began building the quality validation cars last Friday, June 18. He didn't say, however, whether this build will cease at a certain number or cease when they are satisfied with the assembly processes.

I have read (can't remember where) that the cars now being built will be sent to the Design Studios for customer test drives and turned over to the auto press for independent testing. However, Rawlinson did not say that in his interview, so I don't know whether that is accurate.

Back