Am I Being Unfair Here?

DJL

Verified Owner
I really don’t know very much about Tesla or the quality of the cats it produces. I have read with interest the various postings found in this forum from current or former Tesla owners regarding their thoughts of their particular Tesla car versus Lucid. In general, I have walked away with the impression that Tesla makes a number of very good cars but some people have had some issues with their particular Tesla car. I view this as typical for a relatively new car maker (Tesla) as it has only been in the last 20 or so years that American car manufactures have significantly improved in the quality of the cars they make.

I have been shocked and disappointed however, in the almost rabid, mouth frothing statements a number of Telsa owners have been writing on various Tesla forums about the Lucid. It seems to me that they take great relish in highlighting every little problem or fault that people have come across with the Lucid. It is like they feel threatened by the raise of Lucid and the media’s slant on Lucid being the Tesla killer. Of course, Lucid is not a Tesla killer and will not be threat to Musk and the cars he produces simply because they are going after different markets. And, quite frankly, every EV owner and every EV manufacture should be grateful for what Musk and the various Tesla models have achieved over the last 10 years. The fact of the matter is there would not be a Lucid Motors right now if it was not for Musk. Now I happen to personally think he is a royal jerk but he is a brilliant royal and I am in awe of what he has achieved.

With that said, I am sharing this video that I came across which was made by a self-acclaimed Tesla enthusiast giving his impression of the brand new Tesla Model Y that he just received. In it, he shows the various fit and trim issues he found. He was greatly disappointed in it after spending $65K to get it. I share this just to underscore that Lucid is not alone with the issues it is having and that even after being in production for 10 years, Tesla still is producing cars whose quality, at time, is questionable.

If you feel I am being unfair and am off base, please let me know. As an (almost) EV newby (I am still waiting for my Lucid to be delivered), I am still trying to put all of this in perspective. To see the Tesla Model Y article and its video, just click HERE. Thanks.

I really don’t know very much about Tesla or the quality of the cats it produces. I have read with interest the various postings found in this forum from current or former Tesla owners regarding their thoughts of their particular Tesla car versus Lucid. In general, I have walked away with the impression that Tesla makes a number of very good cars but some people have had some issues with their particular Tesla car. I view this as typical for a relatively new car maker (Tesla) as it has only been in the last 20 or so years that American car manufactures have significantly improved in the quality of the cars they make.

I have been shocked and disappointed however, in the almost rabid, mouth frothing statements a number of Telsa owners have been writing on various Tesla forums about the Lucid. It seems to me that they take great relish in highlighting every little problem or fault that people have come across with the Lucid. It is like they feel threatened by the raise of Lucid and the media’s slant on Lucid being the Tesla killer. Of course, Lucid is not a Tesla killer and will not be threat to Musk and the cars he produces simply because they are going after different markets. And, quite frankly, every EV owner and every EV manufacture should be grateful for what Musk and the various Tesla models have achieved over the last 10 years. The fact of the matter is there would not be a Lucid Motors right now if it was not for Musk. Now I happen to personally think he is a royal jerk but he is a brilliant royal and I am in awe of what he has achieved.

With that said, I am sharing this video that I came across which was made by a self-acclaimed Tesla enthusiast giving his impression of the brand new Tesla Model Y that he just received. In it, he shows the various fit and trim issues he found. He was greatly disappointed in it after spending $65K to get it. I share this just to underscore that Lucid is not alone with the issues it is having and that even after being in production for 10 years, Tesla still is producing cars whose quality, at time, is questionable.

If you feel I am being unfair and am off base, please let me know. As an (almost) EV newby (I am still waiting for my Lucid to be delivered), I am still trying to put all of this in perspective. To see the Tesla Model Y article and its video, just click HERE. Thanks.
I agree with everything you just said.

Tesla has its share of reasonable people who just like the car and are aware of the various issues. Similar to many of the Lucid folks here.

And then there's this whole other breed of Tesla fanatic that lives and breathes not only Tesla cars, but the snake oil of Full Self Driving (which is coming any day now) and most importantly, the stock.

I hate the term "fanboy," because it is so often leveled at anyone who takes a reasoned approach to something, as opposed to being hyper critical just for the sake of proving how much smarter you are than everyone else. But that second breed of Tesla fanatic (the Musk Minions, I like to call them) really are as close to the true definition of "fanboy" as it gets. They are a cult. Plain and simple. They spend hours every day searching the internet for anything negative about Tesla or Elon, just so they can troll on it. They are, as you put it, threatened by any notion that Tesla is not perfect. They are also threatened by any other company who makes any product that is better than a Tesla in any way. Mostly, I assume, because they likely have way too high a percentage stake of their own financial future invested in Tesla stock. So anyone who isn't on board is the enemy of their financial future, Elon, and their entire world view.

I truly hope Lucid never acquires such a following. I've seen people level that term "fanboy" around here a few times at people who are simply offering an alternate point of view, and all I can say is that those people have certainly never encountered a member of the born again Tesla crowd. Otherwise, they'd never make the comparison. It is truly disturbing to see.

Luckily Rawlinson doesn't strike me as the sort who revels in his own public persona. Say what you like about his leadership style, he's no megalomaniac. I count that as a very good thing.

Most of us are prior Tesla owners and already have familiarized ourselves with the Tesla style over a course of time. Most of the people you’re referencing haven’t even owned their cars for 2-3 years. Give it time…

The quality problems on Teslas are real, the customer service on Teslas is worse. On top of both of those, the cars do NOT age well.

Most Tesla fanboys are low self-esteem & low EQ people.

Tesla has its share of reasonable people who just like the car and are aware of the various issues. Similar to many of the Lucid folks here.

And then there's this whole other breed of Tesla fanatic that lives and breathes not only Tesla cars, but the snake oil of Full Self Driving (which is coming any day now) and most importantly, the stock.

I hate the term "fanboy," because it is so often leveled at anyone who takes a reasoned approach to something, as opposed to being hyper critical just for the sake of proving how much smarter you are than everyone else. But that second breed of Tesla fanatic (the Musk Minions, I like to call them) really are as close to the true definition of "fanboy" as it gets. They are a cult. Plain and simple. They spend hours every day searching the internet for anything negative about Tesla or Elon, just so they can troll on it. They are, as you put it, threatened by any notion that Tesla is not perfect. They are also threatened by any other company who makes any product that is better than a Tesla in any way. Mostly, I assume, because they likely have way too high a percentage stake of their own financial future invested in Tesla stock. So anyone who isn't on board is the enemy of their financial future, Elon, and their entire world view.

I truly hope Lucid never acquires such a following. I've seen people level that term "fanboy" around here a few times at people who are simply offering an alternate point of view, and all I can say is that those people have certainly never encountered a member of the born again Tesla crowd. Otherwise, they'd never make the comparison. It is truly disturbing to see.

Luckily Rawlinson doesn't strike me as the sort who revels in his own public persona. Say what you like about his leadership style, he's no megalomaniac. I count that as a very good thing.
Agree with this 100%. I haven’t seen a single comment on here that is even close to ‘fanboy’ status. It’s a shame that some members who may or may not even own a vehicle yet fling that term around derisively. Thankfully, seems like a very very small minority and the overwhelming majority of posts on this forum have been incredibly high quality.

On the Tesla panel gap issue in the video, I have to confess that I kind of have to squint to see some of the panel gap issues on the Lucid’s (although they are certainly there) but that Tesla in the video had an entire panel falling off. Surely that’s not simply a ‘panel gap’ and can’t imagine that to be a very common occurrence if one looks at the overall percentage of teslas that get delivered in such a state 🤔

You can’t reason with them. I know one and even after looking at the Lucid in person couldn’t bring himself to say ONE positive word. Every time Tesla does something wrong it’s “media hates Tesla” but every time Lucid shows up it’s “see…. I told you it’s a shit company”.

I don’t get what it is. Maybe they feel threatened but seriously, it’s kind of ridiculous

I had a Model 3 performance version, built in a tent, for nearly four years. The build quality wasn't bad, considering the company's situation at the time - passing through the startup's "valley of death", six years after the Model S was introduced. What did eventually turn me off about the car was the rough, noisy ride and lack of common amenities like blind spot warning in the side mirrors, 360-degree parking cameras, auto rear cross-traffic/pedestrian braking, Android Auto and Apple CarPlay. You can get all of these in a $30K Kia, and it'll ride better too. I'd definitely pick an Ioniq 5 over a Model 3 or Y - though it does hurt to plan a road trip and find no CCS fast charger where you need it, but a well-placed Supercharger there instead. EA's network in California is a great start but has still only about half of the locations needed in rural parts of the state.

Last edited:
You can’t reason with them. I know one and even after looking at the Lucid in person couldn’t bring himself to say ONE positive word. Every time Tesla does something wrong it’s “media hates Tesla” but every time Lucid shows up it’s “see…. I told you it’s a shit company”.

I don’t get what it is. Maybe they feel threatened but seriously, it’s kind of ridiculous

We had couple Lucid shirts that we purchased after we ordered the car at the studio. Once, I went to Costco wearing it. As I got out of my car (a Tesla), a guy from a Tesla-3 nearby looked at then walked pass me, put up a middle finger, and kept on walking. Guess he's the "true" fanboy

While I remained wholly impervious to The Cult of Elon, I was a huge (no, YUUUGE!!!) fan of his Tesla cars. I was so enamoured of them that at one time my family owned three, a Model S and two Model Xs. I so loved our Teslas that I declared I would never even consider buying another auto brand. In the beginning I was very happy to overlook the obvious lapses in build quality (it wouldn’t be a Tesla if it didn’t have misaligned body panels and trim pieces), the dearth of interior conveniences like overhead grab handles, door pockets, seatback pockets, centre armrests and reclining seatbacks (Model X), coat hooks, adequate sound insulation, and so on. I was well aware that what I was paying so much money for was not a premium luxury vehicle, but for the very latest in EV battery technology. For being at the cutting edge.

Then came the Model 3. And everything changed. Overnight Tesla went from being a premium brand to being a brand for the masses, and very quickly it showed. All of a sudden I couldn’t get a live human being on the phone. Overnight, I could no longer take my vehicle to the nearest service centre on a whim, and leave 15 minutes later with a Tesla loaner vehicle. Now I had to use an app, and if I was lucky, MAYBE my local Tesla Service Centre would deign to receive my car for service in oh, about three weeks. If I did have to leave my car at the Service Centre, I could no longer count on getting a loaner, but I’d be made to make do with “Uber Credits” instead. Gradually, all the amenities of their customer waiting areas disappeared. And very soon all the personal touches that made Tesla ownership such a pleassure at the beginning, fell away.

Our Teslas themselves kept on running very reliably. Problems that came up were relatively minor and mostly cosmetic in nature, and they were all covered under warranty. Misaligned panels, loose and misaligned trim pieces, door rattles, a blown out door speaker. I did notice that our Model Xs did not age as well as our Model S, which always remained relatively tight and rattle free.

When our warranty period expired, I did spend about $1200 to replace the two half-shafts on one of our Model Xs.

In spite of my largely troublefree ownership experience, it became harder and harder for me to overlook our Tesla vehicles’ shortcomings. I became less willing to tolerate the lack of ”creature comforts” and convenience features that any of us would have taken for granted in cars half the price.

This is where my infatuation with the Lucid Air began. Finally! A fast, handsome and extremely comfortable four-door sports sedan, with 500 plus miles range thrown in as a bonus! Finally, a car that was everything I had wanted our Model S to be. And finally, the promise of experiencing once again, the service levels and customer attention that had caused me to be so loyal to Tesla in the first place.

In the meantime, with his every utterance and action, my opinion of Elon Musk himself has gone from indifference to contempt. Now I’m at the point where I don’t want own anything in my house that is associated with his name. The courtly, more measured Peter Rawlinson is more my type of guy.

We have sold all our Teslas save one, a Model X. The benefit of Free Unlimited Supercharging “for life”, is one I am not so ready to give up.

In short, even though I’ve been a mostly happy Tesla owner, I’ve NEVER, EVER been an EEEEHLOHHHHN fanboy.

Last edited:
Competitiveness between brands is an old tradition. Mustang devotees hate Camaros and vice versa. Audi owners roll their eyes at BMWs. Come to think of it, millions of people have died over the ages due to religious differences. It’s human nature.

Me, I have one of each (a Tesla P100d and a Lucid Air DE). They’re both great cars. The Lucid is slightly better.

I had one of this fanboy treatment experience at EA charging station. Tesla Model S owner pulled into stall space while I was charging, knocked on my windows with his son. “I have never seen a Lucid car before, do you mind I can go inside to take a look?” “Sure!” That was a mistake to agree. He came in and left me bad vibes on the way out. The only thing he said nice was back seats have space. other stuffs he criticized after interrogating me features are…

“The back seat cannot recline”
“The AC is weak in this car, back screen panel cannot adjust AC, you need to complain to Lucid” (this was simply not true as I didn’t know there was a sliding bar on UI to bring out backseat adjustment at the time)
“The doors are low to get into car”
“Your navigation app look ugly, just fancy with 2 screens”
Last thing in the way out, he made a remark with his teen son. “Let’s go, son! This car cannot beat Tesla, it can just beat European car. Thank you for showing me.”

Then they left. What pissed me more wasn’t about criticism vibe, but he basically just parked his Model-S next to that EA stall and went into the mall with his son, and thus denying other EV brands owner to use an available stall. That act basically made me complained him on the other thread that is current locked for unnecessary negativity.

I will be mindful in the future who wants to check out the car.

Thank you for posting this video. Now I feel like heaven and earth disparity when compare to the experience of this Model-Y owner. I have researched, borrowed and rented multiple Tesla and finally decided Lucid over Tesla MX or MS as my first EV. I initially chose AT, after some pondering, I wanted to changed to DE, but it was too late for reservation, so I settled for AGT, and I have been a very happy owner ever since gotten this car. (I ordered in Oct/21, too late to change in Jan/22 to DE) Even I’m currently in foreign country, my concierge manager still text me to update on what’s going on every week. I have found Lucid service experience remarkable either being prompt when I got to service center, or then dispatching maintenance van to come to my home as early as possible. I also have lowered my expectation on software side than most noises on this forum since most of my career has been software engineer before I became entrepreneur, I expect kinks and enhancement need some time progression.

Again, Thank you for posting that review.

While I remained wholly impervious to The Cult of Elon, I was a huge (no, YUUUGE!!!) fan of his Tesla cars. I was so enamoured of them that at one time my family owned three, a Model S and two Model Xs. I so loved our Teslas that I declared I would never even consider buying another auto brand. In the beginning I was very happy to overlook the obvious lapses in build quality (it wouldn’t be a Tesla if it didn’t have misaligned body panels and trim pieces), the dearth of interior conveniences like overhead grab handles, door pockets, seatback pockets, centre armrests and reclining seatbacks (Model X), coat hooks, adequate sound insulation, and so on. I was well aware that what I was paying so much money for was not a premium luxury vehicle, but for the very latest in EV battery technology. For being at the cutting edge.

Then came the Model 3. And everything changed. Overnight Tesla went from being a premium brand to being a brand for the masses, and very quickly it showed. All of a sudden I couldn’t get a live human being on the phone. Overnight, I could no longer take my vehicle to the nearest service centre on a whim, and leave 15 minutes later with a Tesla loaner vehicle. Now I had to use an app, and if I was lucky, MAYBE my local Tesla Service Centre would deign to receive my car for service in oh, about three weeks. If I did have to leave my car at the Service Centre, I could no longer count on getting a loaner, but I’d be made to make do with “Uber Credits” instead. Gradually, all the amenities of their customer waiting areas disappeared. And very soon all the personal touches that made Tesla ownership such a pleassure at the beginning, fell away.

Our Teslas themselves kept on running very reliably. Problems that came up were relatively minor and mostly cosmetic in nature, and they were all covered under warranty. Misaligned panels, loose and misaligned trim pieces, door rattles, a blown out door speaker. I did notice that our Model Xs did not age as well as our Model S, which always remained relatively tight and rattle free.

When our warranty period expired, I did spend about $1200 to replace the two half-shafts on one of our Model Xs.

In spite of my largely troublefree ownership experience, it became harder and harder for me to overlook our Tesla vehicles’ shortcomings. I became less willing to tolerate the lack of ”creature comforts” and convenience features that any of us would have taken for granted in cars half the price.

This is where my infatuation with the Lucid Air began. Finally! A fast, handsome and extremely comfortable four-door sports sedan, with 500 plus miles range thrown in as a bonus! Finally, a car that was everything I had wanted our Model S to be. And finally, the promise of experiencing once again, the service levels and customer attention that had caused me to be so loyal to Tesla in the first place.

In the meantime, with his every utterance and action, my opinion of Elon Musk himself has gone from indifference to contempt. Now I’m at the point where I don’t want own anything in my house that is associated with his name. The courtly, more measured Peter Rawlinson is more my type of guy.

We have sold all our Teslas save one, a Model X. The benefit of Free Unlimited Supercharging “for life”, is one I am not so ready to give up.

In short, even though I’ve been a mostly happy Tesla owner, I’ve NEVER, EVER been an EEEEHLOHHHHN fanboy.
Thank you for sharing your experience. I have 3 Tesla fanboys around me, entire household of Tesla. I disappointed them didn’t get a Tesla for my first EV conversion. I have my reasonings, and I didn’t want to be part of minion like Corolla-like Model 3.

I had one of this fanboy treatment experience at EA charging station. Tesla Model S owner pulled into stall space while I was charging, knocked on my windows with his son. “I have never seen a Lucid car before, do you mind I can go inside to take a look?” “Sure!” That was a mistake to agree. He came in and left me bad vibes on the way out. The only thing he said nice was back seats have space. other stuffs he criticized after interrogating me features are…

“The AC is weak in this car, back screen panel cannot adjust AC, you need to complain to Lucid” (this was simply not true as I didn’t know there was a sliding bar on UI to bring out backseat adjustment at the time)
Last thing in the way out, he made a remark with his teen son. “Let’s go, son! This car cannot beat Tesla, it can just beat European car. Thank you for showing me.”

Then they left. What pissed me more wasn’t about criticism vibe, but he basically just parked his Model-S next to that EA stall and went into the mall with his son, and thus denying other EV brands owner to use an available stall. That act basically made me complained him on the other thread that is current locked for unnecessary negativity.

Yeah the first thing my Tesla owning colleague who was one of the first to get a Model S pointed out about the Lucid was the panel gaps. He said oh that will improve over the years just like Tesla figured out. He’s not an Elon fanboy at all, but I think just has an inferiority complex.

My two other Tesla is owning colleagues were super cool about the Lucid though, the one who has a Plaid didn’t even want to gloat this his car is faster, even though I mentioned it. I think the difference is being an EV fan versus thinking that Tesla is the leader of a revolution.

I honestly would have made quite a few comeback commentaries as he went along. The final comment he made would have been met with a clear counter.

I’m also Not one to allow random people to tour my car though and especially pointed out he should plug his car in before talking to me.

Your being totally unfair. I am a new Tesla Model S refresh owner and don’t even think about stuff you wrote about, nor do the majority of any car brand or owner. A small miniority of any car brand owners always critique car brands they don’t own. I see this on any forum. Best to just ignore those people and move on. Who cares, as what I think, as none of the comments that small minority make matter to me. By the way, I think my Tesla is an excellent car and really happy being a first time EV owner, but have also ordered a Lucid. :)

See similar comments OP made on BMW, Mercedes, Porsche, etc forums.

Just like a Model S!

“The AC is weak in this car, back screen panel cannot adjust AC, you need to complain to Lucid”
Yeah, that’s strange, I thought that would be obvious on the screen… I mean it’s there. You should probably complain. The cabin is also usually at temperature even with this beautiful view. Maybe you just blast your face with AC?

It’s nice right? Especially compared to a Model S?

Yeah, but it’s a huge improvement over a single center screen. It could use improvement.. but hey… we’re actually getting CarPlay. That alone is a huge upgrade from Tesla!

“Let’s go, son! This car cannot beat Tesla, it can just beat European car. Thank you for showing me.”
wait… Teslas don’t beat EU cars so I’m confused? Have you driven a Porsche?

This is the part that I find the most annoying/dangerous as a Tesla owner. When customers can’t bring up issues products because they are afraid they will be dismissed and attacked because of a financial incentive of the attackers. I guess it can go both ways - false complaints by short sellers.

Just like a Model S!
I think he might be referring the Asian executive cabin version in prototype photo.

“The AC is weak in this car, back screen panel cannot adjust AC, you need to complain to Lucid”
Yeah, that’s strange, I thought that would be obvious on the screen… I mean it’s there. You should probably complain. The cabin is also usually at temperature even with this beautiful view. Maybe you just blast your face with AC?
I couldn’t blast AC in the back from front screen, I didn’t see option. Then I realized Lucid has each zone independent, but software would be nice to control back panel too. I told him to use back screen panel to adjust AC, he said it’s not there. Later on, I went to back to check, there is sliding bar between Sunshade and AC/screen, I just didn’t know about it back then to answer his fast query.
It’s nice right? Especially compared to a Model S?
I wasn’t sure if that was positive or negative at first hearing it.
Yeah, but it’s a huge improvement over a single center screen. It could use improvement.. but hey… we’re actually getting CarPlay. That alone is a huge upgrade from Tesla!
Yes, that “ugly” part irritated me a little.
“Let’s go, son! This car cannot beat Tesla, it can just beat European car. Thank you for showing me.”
wait… Teslas don’t beat EU cars so I’m confused? Have you driven a Porsche?
Yes, that just left me a bad vibe on their exit.
I was even nice to let them coming to step on my new clean floor mat.

I didn’t feel the need to debate with stranger on subjective opinion. But I got really unpleasant to see they walked into the mall after they left my car with their car not plugged. They didn’t park next to me just to check out this new Lucid, but actually treated as parking space. When I get back to the states, I will take all pictures of them parking in EA station and find somewhere in Tesla forum to possibly shame them.

Back