Alternatives to the Lucid Air

I am currently a little more than 2 years in to a leased Lucid Air Pure AWD with the lease ending in August 2026. It is the best car I've ever driven and my first electric vehicle.

However, I am considering other non-Lucid cars after the lease ends. Here are my thoughts on the general ownership experience of the car. I also recognize this is going to be a very Lucid-pro group. I am not closing the door on owning another Lucid in the future once many of these concerns get taken care of but I'm currently exploring other options.

Pros:
- I LOVE the driving experience. It's incredibly fun with a smooth ride/suspension and handles amazingly.
- I love the look of the car. It is legitimately beautiful.
- The kids love the backseat due to its spaciousness. They grumble when they have to sit in the back of my wife's Audi Q5 (first world problems).
- The range is great, although less than advertised. I would estimate real world range is probably 70-80% of the listed range. I have to drive long distances for work at times and I've only had to charge once on a day trip.

Cons:
- The software has been very glitchy. Granted, a lot of these have improved over the 2 years I've owned the car but they were, and continue to be, a source of frustration.
- The base sound system on the Pure was horrible when I first bought it. This was eventually fixed after a few months - turns out it was a software setting and now it sounds very good.
- Hey Lucid, the personal voice assistant in the car sucks. It used to be Alexa and was much better. I don't even use it because it's so bad.
- The car is very finicky with mobile phone entry. This has also improved somewhat over time but I still routinely have to stand outside the car waiting 5-10 seconds for the car to let me in. Yes I know about pushing the door handle in. I don't carry the key fob.
- Having to explain the valet card to valets is very annoying. I do forget to bring the key fob with me so that's probably on me.
- The mobile app connecting to the car can take a long time (20-30 seconds) and sometimes doesn't connect at all.
- Have had random instances where the display blacks out while driving and it only comes back on if I put the car into park (this happened after a recent software update but seems like it's been fixed with a new software update).
- Early on would have issues with Apple CarPlay not connecting although this has been resolved in recent updates.
- The CarPlay audio is annoying - there is a 2-3 second delay on the sound so I basically don't use it for phone calls since there's always awkward pauses during conversations. My wife's Audi CarPlay does not have the delay.
- Have had times where the audio in general doesn't work. Have to reset the car for it to start working again.
- Went through a weekend where the trunk would not stay shut. I would be at a stoplight, the trunk would open and I would have to get out to close it. Very dangerous. Would open again as I was driving. This stopped happening after a weekend. I still don't understand what happened.
- Electrify America charging has gotten a lot better compared to two years ago but the coverage and reliability of the CCS charging network still is not as good as Tesla NACS.
- The CCS->NACS adapter is a nice theoretical thought but due to differences in charging infrastruture, the Lucid Air maxes out at 50 kilowatts with that adapter. That's incredibly slow, basically rendering this as a last-resort backup option.
- The repair infrastructure is challenging. I live in DFW and there are only 2 body shops in the area (one in Dallas and one in Fort Worth, two cities that are 1 hour apart) that are authorized to work on Lucids. Parts took forever to get shipped from Lucid. A minor fender bender that probably should have taken 2 weeks max to get fixed took 5 weeks with most of the downtime related to waiting for parts from Lucid. This was a major inconvenience and made me realize the importance of having good support infrastructure in case of an accident. Bigger projects need to have the car transported to Houston because DFW does not have a hub location. Crazy.
- My wife and I have a joke that every time she sits in the car with me, something weird happens and I say, "Huh, that's never happened before."
- I have concerns about the long-term health of the company. They lose money on every car they make, stock price is trash (I bought it at $2.40 before the reverse stock split (so $24) and it's currently at $13.38 - must suck for those who bought when it was the $500+ range).
- The Gravity is a very nice car but has many of the same software issues as the Air. I also don't love the way it looks and not sure whether it's going to save the company.
- I'll still probably hold onto my stock since the cheaper sedans and SUVs are coming out in the next few years and all these new partnerships with Uber/NVIDIA/etc are intriguing. I guess at this point the upside is high.

So if I had to do it over again, would I get the same car? Do the Pros outweigh the Cons? Probably....? I intentionally leased as opposed to buying given the depreciation we are seeing with electric cars, the ability to benefit from the electric tax credit at that time still being available for leased cars versus purchased cars, and uncertainty surrounding the long-term health of the company and therefore support structure like repairs/mobile techs. However, financially, leasing is not a great choice so I'm probably going to buy the next car I drive. I still really enjoy driving the car but I'm interested in trying something else out given the issues I've described.


What are my baseline criteria?

- Electric
- Range of 275-350 ideally
- Somewhat similar rear space for the kids
- Luxury interior
- No Tesla for a number of reasons
- Open to SUV or sedan

Some options I've been thinking about are the BMW i5, i7, iX, Audi Q8 etron, Porsche Taycan, Cayenne. However, all of these have limitations (the range is a major deal) and so I'm curious to hear from those who may have owned or driven some of these other options and how they compared to the Lucid Air. For those who have switched from the Lucid Air, what did you choose and why? Are you happy with your choice?
I looked at and test drove the BMW and I thought it drove very well. In addition, I was a long time BMW owner and felt loyal to the brand. But I just couldn't get past the unnecessary front end and passed on it. For the same reason, I would still pass on it.

Is external size an issue for you? Is there a smaller size that you don't want or a larger size that you also don't want. For example, the I7 has more features than the I5 (that is the BMW system) but is also larger which is either an advantage or a disadvantage (to me it would be a disadvantage).

I think the I5 is a legitimate competitor to the Lucid Air. At a small size, the Genesis GV60 Performance is a good alternative as is the slightly large but similarly shaped Porsche Macan Electric.

How do you feel about separate buttons and switches vs. putting almost everything on the info screen? Do you like the "minimalist" look or hate the "cheapest" refusal to provide appropriate buttons and switches for things like seat adjustment, HVAC adjustment, media adjustment, etc. Your answer will narrow down the list of possible competitors.

Don't forget Cadillac. It has an entire line of electric SUVs from the Optiq through the Lyric and Vistiq to the ultimate Escalade. Cadillac has finally gotten its act together as a luxury car maker. Its ICE sedans were handling better than the German cars. It is pricy but the new Taycan is a great car and the forthcoming electric Cayenne looks like both a great and pricy car.

Personally, I would eliminate the Audis and BMW IX. If you are willing to spend the bucks, the electric Cayenne and the Taycan appear to be the cream of the crop. If you want to spend less, the I5 is a good competitor if you want a sedan and the Cadillacs if you want an SUV. If you want a smaller vehicle (which I doubt from your post), then the Genesis GV60P and Porsche Macan electric would be good competitors.
 
I always wonder if I am driving the same car as some of you guys. No problems like OP describes here. I could just not be as sensitive. I have trouble understanding how some of the cars can be so good, and others are allegedly non functional out of the box.
Amen. My Air had a weird DA glitch yesterday because the front camera was dirty (it just kept dying after 5-10 seconds, then let me restart it over and over; I just drove myself).

But I realized that I hadn’t seen a single glitch from my car in months. I was overcome with “wtf” because it had been so long since I’d run into any kind of real bug.

I know that’s not everyone’s experience, but I agree with you - I wish everyone had my car and yours.

(It was fixed after a sleep and/or I rubbed the front camera clean, btw. Not sure which did it)
 
I use my Air as an SUV. I’ve found no other sedan that can do this while massaging my buns while I drive.

It fits 4-5 8ft 2x4 without folding down the seats. Folks at Home Depot was starring at me like I was crazy while loading it.

I’ve fit a futon with 5 people in the car at the same time.
 
I have the same Pure AWD. I love the car but on the look out for other cars when my lease ends next Aug. I went out and test drove the Audi A6 etron and BMW iX. Didnt like both. Tesla is off the list. Same with Rivian, Benz and others. The only car that I am eager to see next year is this:

 
  • Like
Reactions: ADC
I have the same Pure AWD. I love the car but on the look out for other cars when my lease ends next Aug. I went out and test drove the Audi A6 etron and BMW iX. Didnt like both. Tesla is off the list. Same with Rivian, Benz and others. The only car that I am eager to see next year is this:

ew
 
As far as space goes, I dont't think any sedan nor most SUVs can beat the Air.

I went to a bankruptcy action last week. I drove home with a complete set of front seats, complete rear seats, starter, ac compressor, two distributors, some suspension components, a carpet kit, several pieces of interior trim, set of door cards, new top, top cover, two front door windows, 2 shelving units (four shelves each 18x48x48) assorted hand tools and a windshield. All for various cars I'm working on. Even with the windshield taking up a lot of space for its size it all fit for the 100 mile trip home.
 
Yes, I looked at the Model S when I was debating the original lease but the models I drove had pretty crappy suspension where I felt every bump in the road. I do believe I read Tesla has improved the suspension on newer year models though.
The Tesla MS still drives poorly compared to the Air. One point folks have not yet stated (or I have not seen it yet) is that many of the issues you have stated are vastly improved in the 2025+ model year Airs. Charging at Tesla Supechargers is still limited, but virtually all of your other cons I have not experienced in my 2025 AGT…
 
The Tesla MS still drives poorly compared to the Air. One point folks have not yet stated (or I have not seen it yet) is that many of the issues you have stated are vastly improved in the 2025+ model year Airs. Charging at Tesla Supechargers is still limited, but virtually all of your other cons I have not experienced in my 2025 AGT…
Disagree - My Model S Plaid drives smooth, is quiet, is hyper fast, and has no rattles, creaks, shimmies or shakes. It has never been sold as a luxury car but the interior is comfortable, the seats feel nice, the ergonomics are good, and the most important thing is that everything works every time. I’ve never needed a reboot or waited to get in my car, and the phone as key with the app features are great. It has no front motor whine like the Air GT I drove that was annoying, and the software has never failed to work. The air suspension is customizable and rides very smooth.

Some would say the ultimate luxury is never having to wonder if everything will work as it should, you just get in and drive.

Banging on Tesla as rationale for why Lucid is struggling with their own issues is a losing strategy.
 
Disagree - My Model S Plaid drives smooth, is quiet, is hyper fast, and has no rattles, creaks, shimmies or shakes. It has never been sold as a luxury car but the interior is comfortable, the seats feel nice, the ergonomics are good, and the most important thing is that everything works every time. I’ve never needed a reboot or waited to get in my car, and the phone as key with the app features are great. It has no front motor whine like the Air GT I drove that was annoying, and the software has never failed to work. The air suspension is customizable and rides very smooth.

Some would say the ultimate luxury is never having to wonder if everything will work as it should, you just get in and drive.

Banging on Tesla as rationale for why Lucid is struggling with their own issues is a losing strategy.
Respectfully, do you own and drive a Lucid every day? Because if you do and you prefer the Model S, more power to you. I owned and drove a Tesla Model 3 Performance very happily for five years and I have driven various versions of the MS many, many times including seriously contemplating buying one right after my M3P.

I borrowed a friend’s MS Plaid for a weekend as well as doing a couple of test drives of the newest MS Plaid in November and December of ‘24. Objectively, other than straight line speed, the MS Plaid does not come close to the driving experience of the AGT.

I am not a Tesla-basher. The MS was an outstanding car for its time that has, IMHO, become overly value engineered and dated.

With regard to simply getting in and driving without any issues? That has been my experience with my ‘25 Lucid AGT AND it is far more luxurious than the MS in all of the other usually used ways for that term as well.
 
I’ve driven the Model S Plaid every day and have driven the Air probably less than you’ve driven an S. No worries, we can disagree - I do think the materials and finish are much nicer in the Air, and the overall luxury experience is better with Lucid, but that doesn’t take anything away from the Tesla either.

The S and the 3 are entirely different experiences, as you know.
 
Everyone just sleeping on the Cadillac line of EVs? Haha. I don't disagree with the other ones stated, but you can get a Lyriq or Optiq for like $55-60k fully loaded especially if you pick up last years model. They have an EPA of like 310 miles. My parents have one and I've driven it many times. Legitimately considering it when my AT lease expires but we'll see. I just don't see spending an extra $40k for a Gravity just for the range when most of the other features are the same or better.

WITH THE CAVIAT - My parents bought the first one that dealership had ever sold (deep trump country). So there was an issue with the aftermarket wheels they put on, but otherwise the car is amazing.
 
I use my Air as an SUV. I’ve found no other sedan that can do this while massaging my buns while I drive.

It fits 4-5 8ft 2x4 without folding down the seats. Folks at Home Depot was starring at me like I was crazy while loading it.

I’ve fit a futon with 5 people in the car at the same time.
I have used mine to haul 8' lumber from Lowes. It's hilarious what you can actually fit in an Air if you want to. Also, I haven't had to even do a soft reset on mine in months. I thought I was going to have to yesterday (CarPlay died), but it turned out that turning the phone on and off fixed it.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Tym
Everyone just sleeping on the Cadillac line of EVs? Haha. I don't disagree with the other ones stated, but you can get a Lyriq or Optiq for like $55-60k fully loaded especially if you pick up last years model. They have an EPA of like 310 miles. My parents have one and I've driven it many times. Legitimately considering it when my AT lease expires but we'll see. I just don't see spending an extra $40k for a Gravity just for the range when most of the other features are the same or better.

WITH THE CAVIAT - My parents bought the first one that dealership had ever sold (deep trump country). So there was an issue with the aftermarket wheels they put on, but otherwise the car is amazing.
I'll be trying out the Cadillacs in a couple of years. I'm not an SUV guy, but GM seems to be building some compelling vehicles...
 
Disagree - My Model S Plaid drives smooth, is quiet, is hyper fast, and has no rattles, creaks, shimmies or shakes. It has never been sold as a luxury car but the interior is comfortable, the seats feel nice, the ergonomics are good, and the most important thing is that everything works every time. I’ve never needed a reboot or waited to get in my car, and the phone as key with the app features are great. It has no front motor whine like the Air GT I drove that was annoying, and the software has never failed to work. The air suspension is customizable and rides very smooth.

Some would say the ultimate luxury is never having to wonder if everything will work as it should, you just get in and drive.

Banging on Tesla as rationale for why Lucid is struggling with their own issues is a losing strategy.
Sorry dude, the reason I sold my Tesla model S was the driving dynamics. It just sucked. Maybe newer model years are better but I doubt Tesla puts any proper engineering into their cars.
 
Sorry dude, the reason I sold my Tesla model S was the driving dynamics. It just sucked. Maybe newer model years are better but I doubt Tesla puts any proper engineering into their cars.
Riiiigghhhttt - no proper engineering at Tesla. The Model S Plaid is probably the best performance bargain in the world. There’s a reason why every single EV gets compared to Tesla and not to Lucid - they set the bar early, and companies are still having worlds of trouble coming up with a complete package to exceed it.
 
Riiiigghhhttt - no proper engineering at Tesla. The Model S Plaid is probably the best performance bargain in the world. There’s a reason why every single EV gets compared to Tesla and not to Lucid - they set the bar early, and companies are still having worlds of trouble coming up with a complete package to exceed it.
It’s the same reason why highly talented college basketball and football players are compared to Jayson Tatum and Patrick Mahomes, respectively.

“The overnight success you see took 10 years in the dark.”
 
Riiiigghhhttt - no proper engineering at Tesla. The Model S Plaid is probably the best performance bargain in the world. There’s a reason why every single EV gets compared to Tesla and not to Lucid - they set the bar early, and companies are still having worlds of trouble coming up with a complete package to exceed it.
No, they don’t spend money on “ proper engineering”. Tesla cuts corners, a lot! The model S Plaid brakes are awfully inadequate. Yet Tesla sells the cars with those unsafe brakes. No stalks? What’s up with that stupidity, and yoke steering wheel with no variable steering ratio? Toyota can teach them who to do it properly.

Tesla just sucks! But the fanboys who made money of the stock will keep on smooching anything Tesla does, even if they lie and unsafe.
 
No, they don’t spend money on “ proper engineering”. Tesla cuts corners, a lot! The model S Plaid brakes are awfully inadequate. Yet Tesla sells the cars with those unsafe brakes. No stalks? What’s up with that stupidity, and yoke steering wheel with no variable steering ratio? Toyota can teach them who to do it properly.

Tesla just sucks! But the fanboys who made money of the stock will keep on smooching anything Tesla does, even if they lie and unsafe.
Watch it with that F word!!!
 
I now have an Audi Q8 etron, sold the AT after a crash. The Audi is quieter than the Lucid. It weighs 1,000 lbs more so it handles like the 6,000 lbs it is. Efficientcy is 2.4 mi/kwh vs nearly 4 for me with the Lucid. In cold weather efficiency drops fully 40%. It is comfortable. Can’t come close to the driving experience. Software experience is about as glitchy as Lucid. BMW’s are ugly. Cadillac has no frunk! Stupid engineering. MB’s don’t interest me. Tesla is a meaningful competitor but the Model S no longer can compete. I like the vibe of Rivian but 2 mi/kwh and 400v architecture is no platform for a decent road trip. I’m going back to Lucid.
 
Riiiigghhhttt - no proper engineering at Tesla. The Model S Plaid is probably the best performance bargain in the world. There’s a reason why every single EV gets compared to Tesla and not to Lucid - they set the bar early, and companies are still having worlds of trouble coming up with a complete package to exceed it.
To be honest, any conversation on comparison with Lucid Air/Gravity the conversation ends quickly, there is just no comparison. For those try hard they would change conversation to stock price, which IMO is a separate topic.

Most of EV spend much effort on what you can see and measure, like HP, big screen etc, but ride quality, handling of corner, space etc can only be experienced once you have driven and maybe get used to one.
 
Back
Top