Aero inserts

I had the aero inserts removed from my Pure AWD's 19" wheels at the time of delivery. I love the look without them, but am thinking about putting them back on before a series of road trips totaling around 5k miles. It sounds like I can expect around a 5% range boost, BUT I've read on the forum that not only do the retaining clips scratch the wheels on the way on and off, but also that while the inserts are on, dirt and aerodynamic forces conspire to damage the entire surface of the wheels. (FWIW, I will be driving conservatively, and at the posted speed limits.) If you have experience both with the range boost and the cosmetic damage of the inserts, I would value your input, as I'm pretty much on the fence as to whether the good justifies the bad. Thanks! B/B

I had the aero inserts removed from my Pure AWD's 19" wheels at the time of delivery. I love the look without them, but am thinking about putting them back on before a series of road trips totaling around 5k miles. It sounds like I can expect around a 5% range boost, BUT I've read on the forum that not only do the retaining clips scratch the wheels on the way on and off, but also that while the inserts are on, dirt and aerodynamic forces conspire to damage the entire surface of the wheels. (FWIW, I will be driving conservatively, and at the posted speed limits.) If you have experience both with the range boost and the cosmetic damage of the inserts, I would value your input, as I'm pretty much on the fence as to whether the good justifies the bad. Thanks! B/B
Installing and removing the inserts does scratch the rims unfortunately. I usually drive without them, but installed them to take a roadtrip recently. I got about 0.2 more miles/Kwh with the inserts installed (from 3.9 to 4.1) on a route where I have driven with and without the inserts on different trips.

Upon further analysis, I think I answered my own question to a certain extent. If the 5% range improvement is correct, and I raise my performance from 3.8 miles/kWh to 4.0 miles/kWh, that would only save me around 64 kWh over 5,000 miles. IF I were paying for electricity along the way, which I am not, that would save me around $34 at an assumed $0.52/kWh. Even if I was paying, it doesn't sound like it's worth the effort of removing and eventually reinstalling the inserts, and that is before considering the potential for damaging the wheels. Thoughts?

Installing and removing the inserts does scratch the rims unfortunately. I usually drive without them, but installed them to take a roadtrip recently. I got about 0.2 more miles/Kwh with the inserts installed (from 3.9 to 4.1) on a route where I have driven with and without the inserts on different trips.
Thanks, ken43! Sounds like the 5% range boost is about right.

Upon further analysis, I think I answered my own question to a certain extent. If the 5% range improvement is correct, and I raise my performance from 3.8 miles/kWh to 4.0 miles/kWh, that would only save me around 64 kWh over 5,000 miles. IF I were paying for electricity along the way, which I am not, that would save me around $34 at an assumed $0.52/kWh. Even if I was paying, it doesn't sound like it's worth the effort of removing and eventually reinstalling the inserts, and that is before considering the potential for damaging the wheels. Thoughts?
I guess it's just a matter if you like the look or not. As previously noted, the inserts will retain dirt and grit that will cause small scratches to the metal rims. Of course, if you don't take off the inserts, you don't see the scratches. And the inserts don't protect against curb rash, either. In the end the scratches will be minor and should be easily polished out. If you hire someone to do that, the electricity savings will not cover the cost so 🤷

Oops. I meant 'installing and eventually removing' the inserts. Not the other way around. My bad.

Back