Aero inserts on 21 rims

Not to my knowledge. Just crickets.

My sense is the most optimistic resolution will be an offer to swap the DE 21"Aero wheels with the similar-but-not-exact GT one-piece cover wheels. Better yet, they offer the GT version at no cost and allow DE owners to keep their scratched wheels.

The DE owners (all with the exception of those with the Eureka Gold trim) will then have no visually distinctive aesthetic from a fully loaded GT with the same color; but the company might be able to avoid a more structured challenge to this shortcoming -- a potential compromise?

I would seriously consider such an offer. Would other 21" DE owners?
I asked for a set of the GT 21s. That request to this point has been denied.

I asked for a set of the GT 21s. That request to this point has been denied.
Well, let's give the company a little more time to weigh the broader cost alternatives before them.

Fortunately, their exposure is limited to 520 DE owners in North America. The risk, of course, is the informed focus of those owners.

Well, let's give the company a little more time to weigh the broader cost alternatives before them.

Fortunately, their exposure is limited to 520 DE owners in North America. The risk, of course, is the informed focus of those owners.
What do you think the split is between 21 and 19? 60/40?

What do you think the split is between 21 and 19? 60/40?
Have no idea. But, the fewer 21" owners, the lower cost exposure to the company for a compromise GT wheel offer. I just don't see a more cost-effective path, since a re-engineered solution may not be feasible.

I think several people are running without inserts including @hydbob. They seem to be getting as good or better range than I am With the inserts.
True but are you still having the loose insert problem? If I recall your pics correctly, there’s sometimes a pretty significant gap when the insert loosens. That could conceivably ruin the alleged aero effect of the inserts. May even impair the effect such that running insert-less may even be better.

But the dream wheels with no inserts really do not seem very aerodynamic so I would expect that properly fitted inserts to have a positive effect on vehicle efficiency and range.

True but are you still having the loose insert problem? If I recall your pics correctly, there’s sometimes a pretty significant gap when the insert loosens. That could conceivably ruin the alleged aero effect of the inserts. May even impair the effect such that running insert-less may even be better.

But the dream wheels with no inserts really do not seem very aerodynamic so I would expect that properly fitted inserts to have a positive effect on vehicle efficiency and range.
I never had a loose insert issue.

And you've noticed no difference in range between having the inserts versus not having them?
I am not the one concerned about the inserts' effect on range (which, I suspect is nominal for most drivers). My concern is the apparently irreparable damage to the wheels as a function of the insert/wheel design.

I have been informed by the service center in Atlanta that there is an updated design for the inserts. I do not know at what point this update was done. They have ordered new rims and new inserts for me. I have not gotten any official word, but it has been indicated that changing out the rims for cosmetic issues will be a one time event. My choice to install the inserts or run without them. I did like the idea of being able to do either, but if this is the resolution, I will run without. Seems fair to me, I am not going to quibble about not having the option to go back and forth.

I have been informed by the service center in Atlanta that there is an updated design for the inserts. I do not know at what point this update was done. They have ordered new rims and new inserts for me. I have not gotten any official word, but it has been indicated that changing out the rims for cosmetic issues will be a one time event. My choice to install the inserts or run without them. I did like the idea of being able to do either, but if this is the resolution, I will run without. Seems fair to me, I am not going to quibble about not having the option to go back and forth.
"I have not gotten any official word, but it has been indicated that changing out the rims for cosmetic issues will be a one time event."

The DE 21" wheel design is one of only two features (the other is the Eureka Gold color) that distinguish the DE from a fully loaded GT. Not being able to experience that wheel design without permanent damage to the wheel is more than simply "cosmetic." If the Eureka Gold color started to turn light green, would that be considered "cosmetic?"

"I have not gotten any official word, but it has been indicated that changing out the rims for cosmetic issues will be a one time event."

The DE 21" wheel design is one of only two features (the other is the Eureka Gold color) that distinguish the DE from a fully loaded GT. Not being able to experience that wheel design without permanent damage to the wheel is more than simply "cosmetic." If the Eureka Gold color started to turn light green, would that be considered "cosmetic?"
I certainly understand others will not feel this is adequate. I believe designing inserts that come on and off and not have underlying damage would be very difficult. I have not seen the redesign, but I’m near certain over time the same thing would happen. The rims will be fine with inserts or fine without. I think if someone views the only acceptable solution as improving the design so the inserts can come on and off without cosmetic damage, they are going to be disappointed. Would love to be wrong.

I certainly understand others will not feel this is adequate. I believe designing inserts that come on and off and not have underlying damage would be very difficult. I have not seen the redesign, but I’m near certain over time the same thing would happen. The rims will be fine with inserts or fine without. I think if someone views the only acceptable solution as improving the design so the inserts can come on and off without cosmetic damage, they are going to be disappointed. Would love to be wrong.
Maybe if it was designed to come in and out but only through a more involved process than just pulling on the inserts. I wonder if it's worth swapping and if Lucid has a "minimum damage incurred" type of thing. Please let us know how that process goes @Bill55 so us other DE owners can reach out for that one time process.

I agree that a redesign is not a reasonable and commercially viable solution at this point.

Back