Actual Mileage Efficiency: Real World Drive Anaheim to Palo Alto

opavlovic

Reaction score
Cars
Touring
Hi,
2 weeks ago we did a trip from Palo Alto to Anaheim and back. For the return trip, I recorded the actual efficiency. Actual miles were 405. Energy used 118kwh. Efficiency of 3.4miles/kwh. I did not try to hypermile or drive defensively to save energy. We drove mostly in the left lane so going with the speed of traffic, which for those of you who know Interstate 5 know is about 75mph+. I used Dream Drive Pro quite a bit (i am coming from a previous Tesla ownership). Dream Drive Pro worked beautifully and I personally like Lucid's implementation better than Tesla's given that when I change lanes I control the wheel and getting back into Dream Drive doesnt require me to re-engage, but car automatically re-establishes the Dream Drive.

We have a dual motor Touring, 19inch tires. Metal roof. AC was on all the time since the temps outside were 90F+. Car was fully charged in Anaheim (Disneyland) and it was showing 433 miles of range when we got into the car. There were 4 people (600lbs) plus 4 carry-on type luggages. The drive included 1 charging stop at Harris Ranch to about 70% and 3 extra stops in Santa Monica/Beverly Hills. We also had lots of roundabout driving around Century City/UCLA because the roads were closed due to the president being in town. We proably drove around for 1hr+ to get out of that gridlcok. Very slow driving in side streets, but we lost at least an hour. In general, the car performed flawlesly for the whole trip.
IMG_2968.webp

San Mateo to San Diego, alone in the car, 105 Fahrenheit, GT w/ 19", metal roof, using DDP most of the time, 75 - 80 mph where possible, I got 3.7 m/kWh. In pure city driving I get 2.4.

San Mateo to San Diego, alone in the car, 105 Fahrenheit, GT w/ 19", metal roof, using DDP most of the time, 75 - 80 mph where possible, I got 3.7 m/kWh. In pure city driving I get 2.4.
Makes sense. Lots of energy used in stop and go

Makes sense. Lots of energy used in stop and go
Not always. More regen at low speed and stops. I actually get better range when I am not on the highway.

Hi,
2 weeks ago we did a trip from Palo Alto to Anaheim and back. For the return trip, I recorded the actual efficiency. Actual miles were 405. Energy used 118kwh. Efficiency of 3.4miles/kwh. I did not try to hypermile or drive defensively to save energy. We drove mostly in the left lane so going with the speed of traffic, which for those of you who know Interstate 5 know is about 75mph+. I used Dream Drive Pro quite a bit (i am coming from a previous Tesla ownership). Dream Drive Pro worked beautifully and I personally like Lucid's implementation better than Tesla's given that when I change lanes I control the wheel and getting back into Dream Drive doesnt require me to re-engage, but car automatically re-establishes the Dream Drive.

We have a dual motor Touring, 19inch tires. Metal roof. AC was on all the time since the temps outside were 90F+. Car was fully charged in Anaheim (Disneyland) and it was showing 433 miles of range when we got into the car. There were 4 people (600lbs) plus 4 carry-on type luggages. The drive included 1 charging stop at Harris Ranch to about 70% and 3 extra stops in Santa Monica/Beverly Hills. We also had lots of roundabout driving around Century City/UCLA because the roads were closed due to the president being in town. We proably drove around for 1hr+ to get out of that gridlcok. Very slow driving in side streets, but we lost at least an hour. In general, the car performed flawlesly for the whole trip.
View attachment 21477

Interesting. 118kWh is the pack size of the GT, so if I made that trip with the GT on 19 inch tires... Of course there are other variables, but I'd probably stick to around 75 mph. I wouldn't make the trip nonstop even if I didn't have to charge, but it sounds like a 10 minute charge at Harris Ranch would do it with room to spare. With my Model S, stopping at Harris Ranch was fine because I had enough charge by the time I finished eating. With a newer Model 3 that I no longer have, I probably would have gotten a message on the app that I had enough range to continue by the time I was handed a menu. Given normal stops, and the amount of time that heath experts say you should stop on a trip that long regardless of charging, all three cars could make the trip in about the same time. But with the Lucid, I wouldn't be concerned about whether or not I could find charging near a place I'd want to eat. I could eat somewhere whether I could charge or not, since charging during a restroom break would be enough.

FWIW: on the few long distance trips that I have driven, in good driving conditions without any significant grade changes, at speeds around 70 to 75 MPH I have learned to give a 20 to 25% haircut to the range reported on the guess o meter.
My air GT has never shown more than 505 miles at 100% SOC will get you about 400 to 420 miles of range, around 3.9 to 4.1 kwh.
if you drive in varying terrain, in the rain or colder climate deduct even more range.

Not always. More regen at low speed and stops. I actually get better range when I am not on the highway.
Ditto, but I'm a lead-foot on highways, driving as fast as traffic and fear of CHP allows.

FWIW: on the few long distance trips that I have driven, in good driving conditions without any significant grade changes, at speeds around 70 to 75 MPH I have learned to give a 20 to 25% haircut to the range reported on the guess o meter.
My air GT has never shown more than 505 miles at 100% SOC will get you about 400 to 420 miles of range, around 3.9 to 4.1 kwh.
if you drive in varying terrain, in the rain or colder climate deduct even more range.
That's my experience as well with a GT on 19s. Just did a 300 mile trip out and 300 mile back this weekend, got 4.2 kwh keeping it to 70 MPH with two passengers and luggage plus AC, massaging seats etc. Efficiency appears to be improving on each long trip, or maybe that's just my driving adapting to the car, and definitely after I had the battery replaced.

Just took delivery on my Pure and drove it down from San Francisco to Los Angeles. 400 actual miles took about 560 miles to drive down.

Just took delivery on my Pure and drove it down from San Francisco to Los Angeles. 400 actual miles took about 560 miles to drive down.
How did you manage to drive 560 miles when it is 360 miles SF to LA?

I'm assuming 560 miles of Lucid projected range used vs reality mileage of 360.
I agree, but I'd call it EPA range miles rather than projected ones, since Lucid isn't saying that you should expect to get rated range when driving on the freeway at 75+ mph. A big portion of the most likely route has a speed limit of 70 mph for a substantial part, with few cars going under 75 except when traffic is heavy enough to clog all lanes.

Back