AC charging

FrankHaase

Member

Joined
Dec 16, 2025
Messages
22
Reaction score
29
Cars
Gravity GT
when I'm AC charging the current only stays at 80amps for an hour and then drops to 40 or less . Or from 20kW to 8kW

Does anybody else notice that ?
 

Attachments

  • IMG_4462.webp
    IMG_4462.webp
    54.3 KB · Views: 99
Yep, @GravitMe and I have this issue. Sorry no good news for you though. My SC didn't find anything last time and I'm working with CustomerCare now to see if they can.
 
I have a loaner now and it has the same issue. It’s laughable that lucid prides themselves for a 20kW AC charge port that’s slower than any EV with a 10kw AC port
 
I have a loaner now and it has the same issue. It’s laughable that lucid prides themselves for a 20kW AC charge port that’s slower than any EV with a 10kw AC port
Let us know if you have better luck with your SC finding anything please! 🙏
 
There are several threads already discussing charge rate reduction. You may wish to check those.

I had this happen with my Air, but using the 40A Mobile Charging Cable. 9kW -> 4kW during charge sessions. The issue was the receptacle. Electricians had installed a standard NEMA 14-50 (2.1" diameter) instead of an EV-rated model (2.4" diameter). It didn't matter that I made the installation purpose abundantly clear; they cheap out at every opportunity. The wiring was already up to spec, so I replaced the receptacle myself with this one from LIDER. Torqued the lugs to 50 in/lb with this screwdriver.

Thermal throttling was immediately remedied.
 
I have a loaner now and it has the same issue. It’s laughable that lucid prides themselves for a 20kW AC charge port that’s slower than any EV with a 10kw AC port
It’s an issue with 80amp breakers. I’m on a 60amp and sit at 11kw for the entire duration of the charge.
 
I have an old first Gen (2014) Tesla wall charger, 80 amp capable on a 100 amp circuit. I have the dip switches set so the charger thinks it is on a 60 amp breaker. I throttle the car charge rate to 40 amps as that is more than enough to meet my charging needs overnight. I don't beleive in stressing the equipment.
 
It’s an issue with 80amp breakers. I’m on a 60amp and sit at 11kw for the entire duration of the charge.
Ummmm, I am missing something....issue with the BREAKER?!

I thought a breaker is either connected or it is tripped (disconnected).
 
Do a search for “speed decreasing” in the forum search and you’ll find an extensive thread on this. It’s an ongoing issue.
 
Ummmm, I am missing something....issue with the BREAKER?!

I thought a breaker is either connected or it is tripped (disconnected).
Breakers can break (no pun intended)

They are only rated for a certain number of trips, for example.
 
Ummmm, I am missing something....issue with the BREAKER?!

I thought a breaker is either connected or it is tripped (disconnected).
We are talking pass each other. I was referring to @FrankHasse's post. Breakers (generally) don't reset themselves and then deliver 1/2 the current. Doesn't that look odd to you?
I don't think this has much to do about the breakers. I think the proble is in the charger/SW!?
 
We are talking pass each other. I was referring to @FrankHasse's post. Breakers (generally) don't reset themselves and then deliver 1/2 the current. Doesn't that look odd to you?
I don't think this has much to do about the breakers. I think the proble is in the charger/SW!?
I think @HC_79’s point was that this only seems to happen on 80A breakers (and I assume he meant 100A)

The point not being the breaker, but something about the higher power. He was t saying the breakers themselves are the culprit.
 
Ummmm, I am missing something....issue with the BREAKER?!

I thought a breaker is either connected or it is tripped (disconnected).
There's a lot of other things that can be going on that won't necessarily trip the breaker - loss of potential across the terminals, an increase in temperature causing resistance, etc. We went through a lot even getting our 40A charger to work years ago and it ended up being a totally different breaker in the panel (the one for the outlet for our fridge) getting hot and causing problems even though it never tripped.
 
It goes way deeper than 100a circuits. It's a hardware & software issue on their cars. I've tested mine on multiple chargers 80A chargergers and even some that weren't 80A and it still got throttled. They replace my main power box thinking that would solve it and it didn't work. We'll see what their next move is.
 
So when I have the electrician put in my new 200A panel (with a 100A breaker going to my current sub panel and a 100A breaker to the Lucid charger) should I have the circuit breaks spread apart on the panel and not be placed right next to each other?
 
It goes way deeper than 100a circuits. It's a hardware & software issue on their cars. I've tested mine on multiple chargers 80A chargergers and even some that weren't 80A and it still got throttled. They replace my main power box thinking that would solve it and it didn't work. We'll see what their next move is.
I seriously doubt it is the breaker. I'd look hard at the HW/SW/Wunderbox!
 
So when I have the electrician put in my new 200A panel (with a 100A breaker going to my current sub panel and a 100A breaker to the Lucid charger) should I have the circuit breaks spread apart on the panel and not be placed right next to each other?
I personally wouldn't do that. Breakers of every amperage are designed to function properly side-by-side in your panel. A properly installed breaker from a reputable brand should be just fine. Of course, there are all kinds of things that an electrician can screw up when installing a circuit, and I would make sure that you're getting a properly licensed person doing the work.
 
I personally wouldn't do that. Breakers of every amperage are designed to function properly side-by-side in your panel. A properly installed breaker from a reputable brand should be just fine. Of course, there are all kinds of things that an electrician can screw up when installing a circuit, and I would make sure that you're getting a properly licensed person doing the work.
I am having a licensed electrician to the install (new entrance panel upgrade from 100A to 200A and they are pulling permits and working with PG&E, PG&E won't allow upgrade of the service without permits). I'll make sure they are using #1 gauge wire so there won't be overheating problems
 
It goes way deeper than 100a circuits. It's a hardware & software issue on their cars. I've tested mine on multiple chargers 80A chargergers and even some that weren't 80A and it still got throttled. They replace my main power box thinking that would solve it and it didn't work. We'll see what their next move is.
It's unlikely to be software, as replacing my LCHCS fixed my issue, and I'm on 100A.

But it very well could be your Wunderbox or sometihng.
 
It’s an issue with 80amp breakers. I’m on a 60amp and sit at 11kw for the entire duration of the charge.
Nope the charger( Autel ) has a report that shows the limit is on the car side . That report was verified by their service center
 
Back
Top