245s on the back of the 21s Possible?

CWedge411

Verified Owner
Reaction score
Cars
2024 Lucid Air GT
Referral Code
Q7FHMVQ3
I know the rear wheels are wider but could 245s fit for snow tires for the winter? I guess my real question comes down to Will the computer know and everything get mad?
Has anyone tried? Thinner tires are better in the snow, also cheaper and I only have a 18mon lease so i'm trying not to spend a ton on this car, till Gravity

That's quite a bit of stretch, especially on a 21" wheel. IMHO, you're better off getting a dedicated set of winter wheels and tires rather than mounting, dismounting and rebalancing tires every year.

According to Tire Rack both the Michelin and Vredestein 245/45-21 snow tires are good for 7.5 to 9.0 inch wide rims so neither would work on the Lucid 9.5 inch wide rear rim.

According to Tire Rack both the Michelin and Vredestein 245/45-21 snow tires are good for 7.5 to 9.0 inch wide rims so neither would work on the Lucid 9.5 inch wide rear rim.
Cool thanks for looking at that. I didn't even see that on the site.

That's quite a bit of stretch, especially on a 21" wheel. IMHO, you're better off getting a dedicated set of winter wheels and tires rather than mounting, dismounting and rebalancing tires every year.
Agreed but as i mentioned it's only a 18 month lease.. mounting and balancing twice wont equal the cost of a new set of even 19" wheels and TPMS sensors.

Agreed but as i mentioned it's only a 18 month lease.. mounting and balancing twice wont equal the cost of a new set of even 19" wheels and TPMS sensors.
Good point for an 18 month lease. Maybe consider leaving it as is and go with cables, chains or socks if comes down to it? That would be cheaper than a pair of tires, no? Think of the increased blowout risk from stretched tires since the sidewalls would be even more susceptible to potholes.

Good point for an 18 month lease. Maybe consider leaving it as is and go with cables, chains or socks if comes down to it? That would be cheaper than a pair of tires, no? Think of the increased blowout risk from stretched tires since the sidewalls would be even more susceptible to potholes.

Summer tires are only good to 45 degrees, It was 45 last night here in Boston. Basically summer tires turn to hard plastic like in the cold, essentially like those kids big wheels back in the day that slide around everywhere. I am not worried as much about the snow as just grip in the freezing cold. Non-Ice/Snow days. Most of my travel is highway, so I can't use chains or socks for that. I'll have to take a chance on Blowout (knocks on wood) Ive been doing ok, all my past cars have been either 21' or 22' wheels

Yes if you had all-seasons I'd recommend just driving. The recommended rim sizes can be found on Tire Rack by selecting the tire then selecting specifications.

Summer tires are only good to 45 degrees, It was 45 last night here in Boston. Basically summer tires turn to hard plastic like in the cold, essentially like those kids big wheels back in the day that slide around everywhere. I am not worried as much about the snow as just grip in the freezing cold. Non-Ice/Snow days. Most of my travel is highway, so I can't use chains or socks for that. I'll have to take a chance on Blowout (knocks on wood) Ive been doing ok, all my past cars have been either 21' or 22' wheels
when it comes to tires, car companies can be between a rock and a hard place. Ultraperformance summer tires makes perfect sense here in Scottsdale; not so in my former haunts in Boston where an all season tire would make more sense. Genesis put Michelin Primacy all season tires on my GV60 Performance and I have hated having them since day one and as of last week I bit the bullet and replaced them with Michelin Pilot Sport 4S HL rated tires. But these would not be great in December in Boston.

With an 18 month lease you have very few attractive options. The only thing I can think of is to check the Lucid Marketplace here and see if anyone is selling all season tires or winter tires and, if not, try posting your interest there and maybe someone is moving on to a different Lucid (or a different car all together) and would be willing to sell them separately.

You might be able to get some at Discount tire but it is unlikely (you could call around). Here is what its website says:

"In some rare circumstances, we at Discount Tire do sell used tires. A few of our stores will offer barely used tires, including Original Equipment (OE) tires that other customers have immediately replaced upon purchasing a new vehicle, as well as like-new tires that other customers decided not to keep. However, we typically don't recommend buying used tires unless absolutely necessary"

Back