2027 Matrix headlight issues/gaps

Then why is the left dark spots wider than the right? Don't use terminology to dismiss issues.

View attachment 41296
oncoming traffic on that side


I get it, I will stop and retie my shoes if one shoe feels tighter than the other, or the laces don't look the same length. I need everything centered. Left and right must be equal or its all i think about.

Alas...i think this is by design. It seems like its by design.
 
It is by design and Lucid isn't the only manufacturer that does this. Mercedes that have the digital lighting have it, Teslas have a version of it.

If you want to get really specific about it it's all based on Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard 108 that sets limits on headlight brightness at specific angles. Even the Wikipedia article about the FMVSS has a section about dark spots in LED headlights:

"As of December 2024, FMVSS 108 has not been updated to adapt to widespread use of LED headlamps, which are criticized for being too bright and blinding other drivers. Some manufacturers have reportedly engineered headlamps to have a dark spot where they are measured according to the regulation while being over-illuminated in the rest of the field"

 
I don't think the dark spots are there "to prevent dazzling" per se. They are there to "pass the standardized test that detects dazzling" which is a fixed test and so you only need the dark spot(s) in a specific area to pass the test even if that spot isn't representative of where cars might appear even in common real world situations.

The asymmetric pattern might be due to the test measuring a wider area on the left where oncoming traffic is expected and a smaller area on the right that might represent where the mirrors of traffic in front of you are positioned?
 
Sorry guys, but I have owned multiple cars with matrix headlights and they only turn off the section when a real car is detected. These gaps are persistent.
Because they have nothing to do with matrix lights or adaptive lighting. As mentioned earlier they are designed in on purpose to not blind other drivers. Always been like that even if you haven’t noticed it previously
 
As others have posted, it’s there by design for the “low” beams, have nothing to do with the matrix headlights, and is not specific to Lucid.

The headlights on the Lucid are fantastic. I get into some cars and I’m astounded at how dim the headlights are, making me appreciate the brightness of my Gravity headlights. Those cutouts are how manufacturers increase headlight lumens while satisfying US regulations related to blinding oncoming traffic.

Maybe, some day, the auto industry will adopt adaptive headlights for the low beams, similar to the high beams. Until that time, be happy with the extra night visibility with Lucid and accept the cutouts.

Which would you rather have? Bright lights with cutouts or dim lights without cutouts? I’m picking the first.
 
Back
Top