2025 Model Year Glass Canopy

Reactor

Reaction score
Does anyone know if they have improved the tint on the glass canopy for model year 2025 do block the sunlight and thermal heat?

Does anyone know if they have improved the tint on the glass canopy for model year 2025 do block the sunlight and thermal heat?

There was a report that the Gravity canopy would have a more effective coating than the Air both in terms of UV and IR rejection, but there was no mention of whether it would be used on newer Airs.

There was a report that the Gravity canopy would have a more effective coating than the Air both in terms of UV and IR rejection, but there was no mention of whether it would be used on newer Airs.
The Air’s UV rejection is pretty good. It’s the IR I wish it had. Haven’t heard anything on this front regarding Gravity.

The Air’s UV rejection is pretty good. It’s the IR I wish it had. Haven’t heard anything on this front regarding Gravity.

I don't remember the source, but way back when I was obsessing over the Air features before its introduction, I came across a mention that the glass canopy would have some IR rejection. I accepted it as probably true based on two other things at the time. (1) Our Tesla Model S Plaid glass roof had noticeably better heat rejection than earlier models, and it was manifested in a purplish reflection on the outside in certain light conditions. The Lucid canopy had that same purplish reflection. (2) Rivian had just announced it was canceling plans to install electrochromic glass in its roof as a new coating had become available that was more effective than electrochromic dimming at reducing heat transmission. It led me to assume that Lucid was also using this newer IR-rejecting treatment.

This is, of course, circumstantial evidence at best.

Rivian had just announced it was canceling plans to install electrochromic glass in its roof as a new coating had become available that was more effective than electrochromic dimming at reducing heat transmission
Oh, that's good news for Rivian folks. The electrochromic glass people have seen doesn't look great (milky).

Oh, that's good news for Rivian folks. The electrochromic glass people have seen doesn't look great (milky).

Actually, Rivian has now introduced an electrochromic glass roof as an option.

Lucid did originally announce that the canopy would be electrochromic. In fact, the early show cars had a switch for the dimmer above the rearview mirror. There were at least a couple of reasons why it would not be suitable for the Air, but Lucid might have been hoping the technology would evolve before the car went into production.

First, the electrochromic elements are not in the glass itself. They are in a stiff film that is usually sandwiched between glass layers. That film does not bend easily, and the curve of the windshield as it rounds into the roof was probably too severe. (When Boeing introduced electrochromic dimming in the Dreamliner they actually had to flatten the window panes.) Second, the film never becomes completely clear. It could not be used in the windshield itself, and there was no way to terminate it as the roof transitions to the windshield without a pronounced line showing in the canopy. In short, the Air could not have both the curved single-piece canopy and electrochromic glass.

Actually, Rivian has now introduced an electrochromic glass roof as an option.

Lucid did originally announce that the canopy would be electrochromic. In fact, the early show cars had a switch for the dimmer above the rearview mirror. There were at least a couple of reasons why it would not be suitable for the Air, but Lucid might have been hoping the technology would evolve before the car went into production.

First, the electrochromic elements are not in the glass itself. They are in a stiff film that is usually sandwiched between glass layers. That film does not bend easily, and the curve of the windshield as it rounds into the roof was probably too severe. (When Boeing introduced electrochromic dimming in the Dreamliner they actually had to flatten the window panes.) Second, the film never becomes completely clear. It could not be used in the windshield itself, and there was no way to terminate it as the roof transitions to the windshield without a pronounced line showing in the canopy. In short, the Air could not have both the curved single-piece canopy and electrochromic glass.
The one in the Dreamliner (from personal experience) gets clearer than the Rivian photos I saw, so I'm not sure what Rivian got wrong

Glad I'm leaning more towards Lucid then!

Back