2.4.4 Lane change assist less reliable on the right?

OhmMyWatt

Reaction score
Cars
2024 Lucid Air Touring
Hi everyone! New owner of a 24 Touring with DDPro. I've been testing the lane change assist on highways and it works pretty well when changing lanes to the left (driver side). However, when trying to change lanes to the right, I found it way buggier and often just cancels the lane change with no reason. I've verified that there is a dotted line and no cars around when initiating the lane change, the car registers it, then the line suddenly becomes solid and it cancels the lane change. I don't see the error message for "Lane Change Assist Not Available" so the car clearly thinks it is possible. It happens reliably but it also did work once or twice. Was wondering if anyone else ran into lane change issues when going right (passenger side)?

Hi everyone! New owner of a 24 Touring with DDPro. I've been testing the lane change assist on highways and it works pretty well when changing lanes to the left (driver side). However, when trying to change lanes to the right, I found it way buggier and often just cancels the lane change with no reason. I've verified that there is a dotted line and no cars around when initiating the lane change, the car registers it, then the line suddenly becomes solid and it cancels the lane change. I don't see the error message for "Lane Change Assist Not Available" so the car clearly thinks it is possible. It happens reliably but it also did work once or twice. Was wondering if anyone else ran into lane change issues when going right (passenger side)?
Do you get a message that says 'keep hands on the wheel'? If so, nudge it. It's the same as the message that pops up in normal HA, but less obvious that you need to nudge it; it's a UX issue.

Until I figured that out, my LCA was cancelling randomly too.

Do you get a message that says 'keep hands on the wheel'? If so, nudge it. It's the same as the message that pops up in normal HA, but less obvious that you need to nudge it; it's a UX issue.

Until I figured that out, my LCA was cancelling randomly too.
I haven't seen that explicitly with the Lucid, but have seen that issue on another car. The worst time to give a message to hold the wheel would be when a person is making a lane change and is likely looking in the mirror, at the camera display, at the next lane, and anywhere but the message area on the dashboard. Also the idea that a person might not paying attention is a legitimate issue, but if a person is actively trying to change lanes, it's pretty clear that the person is likely paying attention. I don't imagine that many people will be signalling for a lane change when they are busy doing something aside from paying attention to their surroundings.

These are also the types of things that need an audio indicator option for when canceling, since a person isn't likely to be looking at the message.

I haven't seen that explicitly with the Lucid, but have seen that issue on another car. The worst time to give a message to hold the wheel would be when a person is making a lane change and is likely looking in the mirror, at the camera display, at the next lane, and anywhere but the message area on the dashboard.
I totally agree. Just a bad UX decision. I'm sure they'll fix it.

Also the idea that a person might not paying attention is a legitimate issue, but if a person is actively trying to change lanes, it's pretty clear that the person is likely paying attention. I don't imagine that many people will be signalling for a lane change when they are busy doing something aside from paying attention to their surroundings.
Not necessarily. People can hit it with their knee while distracted, or accidentally in some other way, or they might hit it and then their kid screams from the backseat... you never know.

These are also the types of things that need an audio indicator option for when canceling, since a person isn't likely to be looking at the message.
Agreed completely.

Not necessarily. People can hit it with their knee while distracted, or accidentally in some other way, or they might hit it and then their kid screams from the backseat... you never know.

I wouldn't say I never know. I sometimes know. I find it a bit farfetched to think that there are people accidentally hitting the turn signal lever with their knees, but you never...but you can't be sure that it never happens. I'm tempted to get into the car to see if I could even hit the lever with my knee if I tried...hang on...it was tough, but I managed. I had to open the door to do it though and I think that a lot of people would be hard pressed to do it on purpose.

Back