2.4.2 "Hey Lucid" Voice-to-nav destination accuracy and confirmation

DeaneG

Verified Owner
Reaction score
Cars
Air GT, XC40 P8 EV
Referral Code
3OKY7YGA
I've had a chance to try out the new "Hey Lucid" voice input for navigation destinations in the last couple days. It hasn't gone well, and it's not easy to tell when it has gone astray.

Saying "Hey Lucid, navigate to Back a Yard in Campbell" set the destination correctly twice out of six tries. Three times out of six, it wanted to navigate me to Backyard Grill, also in Campbell CA. The remaining time, it wanted to take me to somewhere in Texas, 1466 miles away.

An issue is that as far as I can tell, there is no easy way to figure out where the nav is taking you other than pinch-zooming the map and trying to figure it out if it's on the street you wanted - if you even knew the correct street.

My suggestion is that Lucid should add a pop-up confirmation panel that briefly shows the nav destination after voice input is complete. The panel could auto-close after ten seconds or so if not dismissed by the user. The panel should also be easy to access after navigation begins, maybe by using the Manage tab on the nav center screen.

Something like this, as on our other EV. It pops up after you finish speaking a destination, and can be pulled up again at any time by tapping an icon on the nav map display.

Google nav confirmation.webp

I've had a chance to try out the new "Hey Lucid" voice input for navigation destinations in the last couple days. It hasn't gone well, and it's not easy to tell when it has gone astray.

Saying "Hey Lucid, navigate to Back a Yard in Campbell" set the destination correctly twice out of six tries. Three times out of six, it wanted to navigate me to Backyard Grill, also in Campbell CA. The remaining time, it wanted to take me to somewhere in Texas, 1466 miles away.

An issue is that as far as I can tell, there is no easy way to figure out where the nav is taking you other than pinch-zooming the map and trying to figure it out if it's on the street you wanted - if you even knew the correct street.

My suggestion is that Lucid should add a pop-up confirmation panel that briefly shows the nav destination after voice input is complete. The panel could auto-close after ten seconds or so if not dismissed by the user. The panel should also be easy to access after navigation begins, maybe by using the Manage tab on the nav center screen.

Something like this, as on our other EV. It pops up after you finish speaking a destination, and can be pulled up again at any time by tapping an icon on the nav map display.

View attachment 23327
So the issues you pointed out are not much different than what I’ve experienced with Alexa.

So the issues you pointed out are not much different than what I’ve experienced with Alexa.
A confirmation pop-up would be / would have been a great help to either.
I wonder if Hey Lucid's word autocorrect for nav destinations takes current location into account, or search history, to give more likely interpretations a higher weight.

The main difference for me is Alexa would tell me about the weather in Campbell, or suggest a backyard landscaping company, or take me to Backyard Grill in Argentina.

I'd say that's a step in the right direction :P

A confirmation pop-up would be / would have been a great help to either.
I wonder if Hey Lucid's word autocorrect for nav destinations takes current location into account, or search history, to give more likely interpretations a higher weight.
That's a good point; they should train the LLM on your previous destinations as well, and weight them higher.

I also agree with the confirmation popup too.

The main difference for me is Alexa would tell me about the weather in Campbell, or suggest a backyard landscaping company, or take me to Backyard Grill in Argentina.

I'd say that's a step in the right direction :P
Yes, that's a problem. If I tell it to go to Home Depot, it might find one 25 miles away. If I say no, it might suggest one 20 miles away. If I try again as suggested and ask for Home Depot in Fremont, it might tell me that there's one 1.6 miles away. I hope that Hey Lucid does better, but why it didn't try to suggest the closest one to begin with is a mystery.

It's too late to report errors with Alexa, but how do I report navigation errors in general? For example, if I arrive and it says that it's on my right when it's really on my left, what's the procedure?

A passenger who heard that mistake reminded me that Google used to get it wrong, I reported it and it was fixed within a day or so.

Yes, that's a problem. If I tell it to go to Home Depot, it might find one 25 miles away. If I say no, it might suggest one 20 miles away. If I try again as suggested and ask for Home Depot in Fremont, it might tell me that there's one 1.6 miles away. I hope that Hey Lucid does better, but why it didn't try to suggest the closest one to begin with is a mystery.

It's too late to report errors with Alexa, but how do I report navigation errors in general? For example, if I arrive and it says that it's on my right when it's really on my left, what's the procedure?

A passenger who heard that mistake reminded me that Google used to get it wrong, I reported it and it was fixed within a day or so.
Hey Lucid is probably still using Here Maps, and that is where the problem lies. I have sent them corrections, but they haven't been made. Just waiting for AA so I can get back to Waze

Here WeGo is their mapping app for mobile

My suggestion is that Lucid should add a pop-up confirmation panel that briefly shows the nav destination after voice input is complete.

I think it's already there?

I tried the 2.4.2 Nav update last night for the first time. I twice used voice command to say "Drive to Bonefish Grill in Bonita Springs, Florida". Both times it replied, "Bonefish Grill, which location?"

I then noticed a confirmation panel had popped up with a list of Bonefish Grill locations. The Bonita Springs one was at the top of the list, so I tapped it. The nav system quickly displayed three different routes to the restaurant, I tapped the one I wanted, and off we went.

I found the nav system worked very well. The "Hey, Lucid" voice command not so much.

I think it's already there?..
Maybe under certain conditions. I haven't seen a confirmation panel yet after trying to navigate to several destinations.

Last night I tried voice input of another destination, and it worked one time of six attempts. Tried the same thing in our other EV and it worked perfectly on the first try. My Air is a great car, but it's nice driving something that just works.

Maybe under certain conditions. I haven't seen a confirmation panel yet after trying to navigate to several destinations.

Last night I tried voice input of another destination, and it worked one time of six attempts. Tried the same thing in our other EV and it worked perfectly on the first try. My Air is a great car, but it's nice driving something that just works.

I didn't notice the pop-up confirmation until after I used voice command the second time. I don't know whether it was there on the first attempt, as I was not looking at the screen. I only saw it once I looked at the screen to bring up a keyboard to type in the address since the voice command was not working.

Back