10 Months In - The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly

AvlBoiler

Cars
Air Touring/Tesla MYP
I'll preface all of this by saying I'm an enormous fan of the drive/ride quality and aesthetics with this car and the service and support teams have been responsive and generally very good to deal with. I just want to throw out some general thoughts on overall ownership thus far.

Good
  • It's beautiful, the thought that went into the design is apparent and it's the biggest "head turner" I've ever owned.
  • Impressed with overall build quality in terms of body, interior, and aesthetics.
  • Drive quality is outstanding in terms of ride, handling, and acceleration.
  • Audio system has been excellent.
  • The range, while not quite as advertised, still blows away my Tesla and other EVs I have experience with.
  • Charging speeds have been good, relative to other EVs I've owned/driven.

Bad
  • The software is sub-par (which may even be generous). It's slow, buggy, and frankly does not seem like enough of a point of emphasis. There is simply not enough to it for a car in this price range and is something that is going to continue to hold this car back until they begin to give it more attention. It's a shame, since the screens are beautiful and well designed.
  • This car is LOW, which I realize plays a big role in its aerodynamic profile. However, leaving out things like grab handles above the doors really emphasizes how low it actually is. I'm 5'10" and still relatively spry, so I've had few issues getting in, but I have friends and family members who have serious trouble getting into and out of the vehicle, which for a touring sedan, is rare IMO.
  • The driver safety features are buggy and inconsistent. I frequently get driver awareness alerts ("Pay attention to the road") while I'm staring directly forward at the road, this happens more often when I'm wearing sunglasses, so it may be a bug they're working on, but it happens often enough on long road trips that it becomes quite annoying.
  • The GPS system is awkwardly designed and buggy. On long road trips it will randomly announce to you to "Continue on the road" when there is no maneuver upcoming. This happens like clockwork every 15-20 mins and I find it quite aggravating.
  • The driver identification system is iffy at best, my wife and I have both the facial recognition and separate key-fobs registered, yet the car misidentifies us about 1/3 of the time.
  • This is getting nit-picky, but shows the lack of thought given to software design. When I pull out of my garage, the backup cam and overhead view activate and block the ability to view the garage door controls. The geo-fencing component of the garage door controls actually work quite well, which makes this design flaw even more annoying.

Ugly
  • Roughly 2 months after taking delivery, the overhead view function stopped working completely after a software update (this was determined to be coincidental). This necessitated hauling the car to the Richmond service center, which is the closest to me in Asheville, since they needed to replace some components and re-calibrate. Unfortunately, the car was scratched during transit (my PPF did it's job!) and Lucid arranged to pay for the PPF replacement. While the car was with Lucid, the rear glass broke, so a replacement needed to be ordered, and installed. This all culminated in 3 weeks with the car in Richmond. Again, Lucid's support and service staff were top notch, they communicated well, laid everything out, and paid for a loaner. But 3 weeks for a barely 2 month-old car is a lot.
  • About 6 weeks ago, the window controls on the driver's seat door stopped working completely (all other window controls were operational), this issue self-resolved after appx 2 days, but Lucid mobile service came out and replaced the window control module. 2 weeks later the issue returned, and the mobile tech returned, after diagnosis determined that the control module in the drivers side mirror would need to be replaced, which means another trip to Richmond for the car (this is scheduled for next week).
  • In between service visits for the window controls, both my driver door and the back passenger-side door seemed to get stuck, meaning the exterior handle would remain out and was non-functional. This actually happened twice while I was away traveling, which required me to crawl into the car from the passenger side to open the drivers-side door, and to ask my passengers to enter the back seat from the driver's side. Needless to say not a stellar advertisement for Lucid for those who were with me.

Overall, I find the car to be a joy to drive, but the fact that I'm likely going to have it spend roughly a month (out of the 10 months I've owned it) in a remote service center to correct issues has been a lot to swallow.

Has anyone else had a similar experience, or am I the outlier?

I'll preface all of this by saying I'm an enormous fan of the drive/ride quality and aesthetics with this car and the service and support teams have been responsive and generally very good to deal with. I just want to throw out some general thoughts on overall ownership thus far.

Good
  • It's beautiful, the thought that went into the design is apparent and it's the biggest "head turner" I've ever owned.
  • Impressed with overall build quality in terms of body, interior, and aesthetics.
  • The range, while not quite as advertised, still blows away my Tesla and other EVs I have experience with.

Bad
  • The software is sub-par (which may even be generous). It's slow, buggy, and frankly does not seem like enough of a point of emphasis. There is simply not enough to it for a car in this price range and is something that is going to continue to hold this car back until they begin to give it more attention. It's a shame, since the screens are beautiful and well designed.
  • This car is LOW, which I realize plays a big role in its aerodynamic profile. However, leaving out things like grab handles above the doors really emphasizes how low it actually is. I'm 5'10" and still relatively spry, so I've had few issues getting in, but I have friends and family members who have serious trouble getting into and out of the vehicle, which for a touring sedan, is rare IMO.
  • The driver safety features are buggy and inconsistent. I frequently get driver awareness alerts ("Pay attention to the road") while I'm staring directly forward at the road, this happens more often when I'm wearing sunglasses, so it may be a bug they're working on, but it happens often enough on long road trips that it becomes quite annoying.
  • The GPS system is awkwardly designed and buggy. On long road trips it will randomly announce to you to "Continue on the road" when there is no maneuver upcoming. This happens like clockwork every 15-20 mins and I find it quite aggravating.
  • The driver identification system is iffy at best, my wife and I have both the facial recognition and separate key-fobs registered, yet the car misidentifies us about 1/3 of the time.
  • This is getting nit-picky, but shows the lack of thought given to software design. When I pull out of my garage, the backup cam and overhead view activate and block the ability to view the garage door controls. The geo-fencing component of the garage door controls actually work quite well, which makes this design flaw even more annoying.

Ugly
  • Roughly 2 months after taking delivery, the overhead view function stopped working completely after a software update (this was determined to be coincidental). This necessitated hauling the car to the Richmond service center, which is the closest to me in Asheville, since they needed to replace some components and re-calibrate. Unfortunately, the car was scratched during transit (my PPF did it's job!) and Lucid arranged to pay for the PPF replacement. While the car was with Lucid, the rear glass broke, so a replacement needed to be ordered, and installed. This all culminated in 3 weeks with the car in Richmond. Again, Lucid's support and service staff were top notch, they communicated well, laid everything out, and paid for a loaner. But 3 weeks for a barely 2 month-old car is a lot.
  • About 6 weeks ago, the window controls on the driver's seat door stopped working completely (all other window controls were operational), this issue self-resolved after appx 2 days, but Lucid mobile service came out and replaced the window control module. 2 weeks later the issue returned, and the mobile tech returned, after diagnosis determined that the control module in the drivers side mirror would need to be replaced, which means another trip to Richmond for the car (this is scheduled for next week).
  • In between service visits for the window controls, both my driver door and the back passenger-side door seemed to get stuck, meaning the exterior handle would remain out and was non-functional. This actually happened twice while I was away traveling, which required me to crawl into the car from the passenger side to open the drivers-side door, and to ask my passengers to enter the back seat from the driver's side. Needless to say not a stellar advertisement for Lucid for those who were with me.

Overall, I find the car to be a joy to drive, but the fact that I'm likely going to have it spend roughly a month (out of the 10 months I've owned it) in a remote service center to correct issues has been a lot to swallow.

Thank you for the write-up! I'd say your experience is an outlier so hopefully they get your car sorted soon. There have been multiple itrlerations on the hardware side, so we know they are constantly trying to improve and get things like door handles and latches sorted out properly.

I had a door soft-close failure the day after I picked up the car, but it started working again after a few hours.
The car's software has come a long way and is generally useful now. Could be better but is basically functional.
These are the only notable issues I've had in 15 months of ownership - a few other minor things I had fixed at the car's 1-year service.

Thanks for the write-up, I just finished my first long road trip and was thinking about getting one together as well.

Interestingly, I've recently had the last 2 issues you referenced and I thought I was the only one. These both happen the weekend of Dec 20th and happened for 2-3 days and then haven't happened again. The drivers side door window controls (for all windows) stopped working randomly throughout the day, but each time the window controls on the other doors continued to work. During this same 2-3 day window I had 3-4 times where the front drivers side door handle wouldn't extend when approaching, but all other doors did and I had to have my son climb in through the back to unlock the door from the inside. The odd thing is, we did almost a week long trip and neither of these conditions happened during this trip or since this initial time period where the issue popped up.

The things I noted from that weekend, is that it was pretty cold and rainy all weekend in Phoenix and then battery level at the time of the initial issue was below ~50 miles and I rarely let it sit overnight at that level. I did report this to the service team and my appointment is schedule for later this month, but may end up canceling this if it doesn't show up again here in the next couple of weeks and just keep monitoring. Thanks again for sharing your review and findings.

The first 10 months that I had my AGT, it was in service 11 times. In the past 12 months, my car has been in service twice and one of those was for annual service. I completely understand the frustration of having a new car in service. I can also say that it will get better and this is by far the most fun car that I have ever owned.

Good

Bad

Ugly

This door handle thing by happened to me too. Very odd.

I’ve been beating the software drum for awhile which has been underplayed consistently here. The car sells itself from a driving perspective. But as more and more people adopt lucid into the market, the more and more people will start to complain about the maturity of the software. That and the door handle issue. Both have been highlighted quite a bit here on the forums recently which is good to see. Regardless thank you for the review.

My experience has been similar. In my 3 months of ownership, I’ve had to take my car in twice for a week both times.

Good

Bad

Ugly

I’ve had my GT for 18 months and unfortunately have had 9 service visits. Six of those were mobile. Now looks like I now will be having HV battery replaced as well. Growing pains for new car company. Car drives beautifully but can be a bit annoying to deal with the repairs. Hopefully will continue to improve with time

Here's another, brighter side, to the story. I've had my Pure for almost 5 months and it has never gone in for service nor have I needed the mobile van come to me. I've had a couple of glitches like the trunk not always latching firmly (that seems to have resolved itself for now) and an occasional internet issue that's improved substantially since I've had the car (I don't know why), but that's it. The car has been really close to being perfect.

I’ve had my GT for 18 months and unfortunately have had 9 service visits. Six of those were mobile. Now looks like I now will be having HV battery replaced as well. Growing pains for new car company. Car drives beautifully but can be a bit annoying to deal with the repairs. Hopefully will continue to improve with time
Agree with the new car company sentiment. This is part of what you sign up for when you're opting into a new brand.

Good

Bad

Ugly

Are you driving a 22 or 23???

I have nothing but praise for this car. It is the best car, by far, I have ever owned. I complained too much early (over a year ago) about things one might expect to encounter from a ground-up technology company. It has by far exceeded my dreams. I regret every negative thing I said here.

For about a year now, about 10k miles, the car has been flawless.

I have nothing but praise for this car. It is the best car, by far, I have ever owned. I complained too much early (over a year ago) about things one might expect to encounter from a ground-up technology company. It has by far exceeded my dreams. I regret every negative thing I said here.

For about a year now, about 10k miles, the car has been flawless.
Wow that is incredible to hear.

Good

Bad

Ugly

I am sorry to say that my experience has been very similar to yours. I've owned my AGT for just over a year. Agree with all your GOOD and BAD. The car had to be taken to Natick, MA (2 hours from my home in CT) three week after getting it because of some unknown leak. I;ve had mobile visits several times and on at least two occasions, they either didn;t have what they needed to fix things I'd pointed out, or the new item was faulty and they had to come back. Not great for them, or me. But I have an issue I am wondering if anyone else has had. SOMETHING put a hole in one of my rims for the INSIDE...leading to my tire repeatedly going flat. A mobile Lucid tire van is coming today to change the rim. No one in tire-land has been able to explain how this could happen. Thoughts? And despite all this, yes, I love the car...just wish it wasn;t so damn frustrating.

I am sorry to say that my experience has been very similar to yours. I've owned my AGT for just over a year. Agree with all your GOOD and BAD. The car had to be taken to Natick, MA (2 hours from my home in CT) three week after getting it because of some unknown leak. I;ve had mobile visits several times and on at least two occasions, they either didn;t have what they needed to fix things I'd pointed out, or the new item was faulty and they had to come back. Not great for them, or me. But I have an issue I am wondering if anyone else has had. SOMETHING put a hole in one of my rims for the INSIDE...leading to my tire repeatedly going flat. A mobile Lucid tire van is coming today to change the rim. No one in tire-land has been able to explain how this could happen. Thoughts? And despite all this, yes, I love the car...just wish it wasn;t so damn frustrating.
That honestly sounds like a manufacturer defect. Are they charging you for the replacement?

That honestly sounds like a manufacturer defect. Are they charging you for the replacement?
we shall see. i also don;t know how to prove it. will now more after they come today.

In 18 months of ownership, I’ve had 3 mobile visits. 1 to diagnose the problem and order the part and the 2nd to install the new part with the 3rd being the annual maintenance. I become complacent about how good the ride and handling are until I drive or ride in another car. WOW…smile in appreciation of what I get to drive. Yes, I’ve seen a few software glitches but all minor stuff where a reset or just waiting resolved them but the software is getting better - it just might not be at the rate some of us want.

ok they came and warrantied the rim and fixed my brake sensor that had been acting up for weeks. I will say this: everyone I have dealt with on service/customer service side has been terrific. Note to all: if you have ANY issue with the car..call Lucid, don;t bother will local folks, even for tires...

Back