Temporary car...

Just upgraded to G-DE. I'll take more power and lose 27 miles of range for an earlier... Huh?
According to my sales rep, DEs don't actually jump the line...? 😢
 
And...it's done.

I was running out of time right before the NYC event was announced and before we got more news on impending Gravity deliveries I had to make a move. Since I'm not an existing owner, and since the G-DE was reported to not get me any earlier a delivery time frame, I was not likely to get a nice May or June delivery even with the new info. But at the same time I'm an 11/7 order holder, so maybe it would have been (will be) some time this summer. Time will tell.

But, I ran out of time and had to make an executive decision. Despite the excellent suggestions for how to get a temporary bridge car (my accountant wishes I had done the Hyundai month-by-month subscription lease thing), I ended up falling in love with the Polestar 3 and got a great deal on a short 27 month lease on a loaded Launch Edition. It drives pretty much like a sports car and they threw so much money at me to do the deal that it was hard to say no, especially since their (mumbles brand name) customer incentives were pretty striking.

So I took delivery a little over a week ago only to then find out that maybe doing a long-term rental wouldn't have been such a bad idea either. The good news is that even if it ends up being only a short term car I could pay off the lease and sell it today for $20k under the list price. Actually, $25k under the list price of a US-built 2025 model since the LE cars had a "free package" included with them. So, $20k incentives + a free $5k package == Twist my arm please!

On the Gravity order front, I just downgraded back to G-GT. I'd prefer the longer range to the extra power and the G-DE's were reported to not affect delivery time frame, so it no longer made sense to order a more expensive car with features I didn't want. And now that I have the temporary car in hand, there was nothing left for the G-DE to offer me at all - even the slim hope that it might solve my needs for immediate ownership. I will even have the option to defer my Gravity order when the time comes and wait for the manufacturing to settle a bit, possibly get a chance for the Lunar paint...?

But, I may just become a 2 car family - time will, again, tell. I still have my GT order in.

Now to deal with the software quality issues on the P3 (knocks on wood). It's a much smaller car on the inside while not being much smaller on the outside, but the way it drives and the amazing 2nd row space make it a very nice car for my specific day to day needs.

And, did I mention the new car smell? I may not be thinking clearly...
 
I'm at a point where I need something to drive while waiting for my Gravity GT order to become available.

I was intrigued by the short-term leases they offered earlier for people interested in Gravity, but I don't really fit into the Air (ingress/egress), so I wasn't able to consider that option. I'm pretty much spinally restricted to an SUV at this point. Yes, I can get into the Air to see what it's like from the inside, but the noises I make while going in and out would disturb my neighbors.

If my order was weeks away I might consider just renting a car in the short term, but it could be months to a year.

If my order was 2 years away, there are a lot of incentives out there for short term leases, but the minimum seems to be 2-ish years. Most noteably, the Polestar 3 seems like a great car, with huge lease incentives, but for a minimum term of 27 months. And, famously, Polestar is very hostile to early terminations and doesn't allow transfers. (They once had a "walk away after 5 months" program, but it was very short-lived.)

I might like the Volvo EX40 as well, and at a much lower price point, but there aren't any avilable for a couple of months (OK, one of them in the country right now, and not very local) so I can't even test drive it.

I've even shopped around for a bunch of 2-row SUVs in the $50k-ish range, thinking I could take the hit on trading one in after 6 months to a year. I've also looked into rental options and came across https://hertz.pissedconsumer.com/customer-service.html while researching customer experiences. However, every competing model has something that makes it feel "less than" in a way I wouldn't really want to live with. The P3 is a car I could definitely see myself keeping, as it drives great, but it's too expensive to justify the short-term ownership hit, and the lease is too long with no easy way out. A used car would reduce the loss, but most of the models I'd consider are still too new to have much used stock available.

It's almost to the point of considering the 27-month lease on the P3 and then just holding off on the Gravity for that long - by which time the Earth might be available and might fit my needs as well or better. I love the Gravity, but honestly the 3 rows are more than I really need and it's more about wanting "an SUV, any SUV, from Lucid".

Wondering if anyone else is in this same category of having to make a hard decision while waiting for the Gravity to start shipping? The annoying thing is that the extreme variation on the potential time frame for the Gravity leads to huge swings in which solution works best...
That’s a tricky position to be in, especially when the delivery window is uncertain. I’d be hesitant to commit to a 27-month lease on the Polestar 3 if the Gravity could become available much sooner. Have you considered a good used SUV as a temporary option? It might give you more flexibility and reduce the financial hit when you’re ready to switch. Hopefully Lucid provides a clearer delivery timeline soon, because that would make the decision a lot easier.
 
That’s a tricky position to be in, especially when the delivery window is uncertain. I’d be hesitant to commit to a 27-month lease on the Polestar 3 if the Gravity could become available much sooner. Have you considered a good used SUV as a temporary option? It might give you more flexibility and reduce the financial hit when you’re ready to switch. Hopefully Lucid provides a clearer delivery timeline soon, because that would make the decision a lot easier.
This was 18 months ago. So much has changed since then.
 
That’s a tricky position to be in, especially when the delivery window is uncertain. I’d be hesitant to commit to a 27-month lease on the Polestar 3 if the Gravity could become available much sooner. Have you considered a good used SUV as a temporary option? It might give you more flexibility and reduce the financial hit when you’re ready to switch. Hopefully Lucid provides a clearer delivery timeline soon, because that would make the decision a lot easier.
As DeaneG said, so much has changed.

I leased the P3 in March 2025, 27 month.

Then in May 2026 my right hip went out and it was very uncomfortable getting in and out of the P3 so it tipped my hand and I went ahead and ordered the Gravity for delivery within a month. I'm now happily driving the '27 Gravity as my daily and still have the P3 while I wait out its eventual lease end, driving it from time to time as a change of pace. The lease will be up next spring/summer and I may turn it in early but since Polestar doesn't have any early return options I might as well keep it as a second car for a bit.
 
Back
Top