Wireless charging speed vs. Android Auto or CarPlay

DeaneG

Active Member

Verified Owner
Supporting Member
Joined
Jan 3, 2022
Messages
7,462
Reaction score
8,518
Location
San Francisco Bay Area
Cars
Gravity GT, XC40 P8 EV
Referral Code
3OKY7YGA
I took advantage of a long drive today to check my phone's ability to charge on the wireless pad vs. the amount of power it needs to run Android Auto. Turns out that I lose about 5% of charge per hour with the phone on the wireless charging pad while running Android Auto, and it gets very hot. My phone is a Pixel 10 Pro XL, no case.

When not running Android Auto, wireless charging in Gravity nets about 5% charge per hour and again the phone gets quite hot. At home, I can wirelessly charge the phone at about 25 watts, 20-80% in an hour or less, and it just gets warm - using Google's Qi2 magsafe / pixelsnap charger.

I'll plan to plug the phone in to USB to charge while using Android Auto on longer trips - will next measure how that does.

I'm curious what others' experiences are, and which phone you are using.
 
Last edited:
IMHO builtin wireless charging in cars is a waste unfortunately. Its so weak and inefficient, wired is way better and next best would be third party mounted to be able to upgrade easily with phone and wireless standards.
 
I've NEVER had a car with wireless charging that could keep up with the phone when running wireless Android Auto. Mostly with my Pixel 8 Pro or my current Pixel 10 Pro .

All it ever seems to do is heat up the phone.

In my Air, the wireless charging is fine when doing regular Bluetooth, but can't keep up with AA.

So I have changed the setting on my phone to disable wireless Android auto, so by default it connects to Bluetooth, and only starts Android auto if I plug it in.
 
I took advantage of a long drive today to check my phone's ability to charge on the wireless pad vs. the amount of power it needs to run Android Auto. Turns out that I lose about 5% of charge per hour with the phone on the wireless charging pad while running Android Auto, and it gets very hot. My phone is a Pixel 10 Pro XL, no case.

When not running Android Auto, wireless charging in Gravity nets about 5% charge per hour and again the phone gets quite hot. At home, I can wirelessly charge the phone at about 25 watts, 20-80% in an hour or less, and it just gets warm - using Google's Qi2 magsafe / pixelsnap charger.

I'll plan to plug the phone in to USB to charge while using Android Auto on longer trips - will next measure how that does.

I'm curious what others' experiences are, and which phone you are using.
I have an old iPhone 12mini with a case that lets me charge just fine on most wireless charge pads. In the Gravity however, I set it in the back corner of the wireless charge pad while playing Apple music and it says it's charging on the Car Play screen icon but when I got to my destination (~30min drive) it had barely increased the SoC at all and like yours the phone was really remarkably hot.
On the return trip, still using Apple music w/ CP, I just plugged it into a USB-C cord from the console and it was like up to 85% in no time

Not too sure about that wireless charge pad anymore!
 
Back
Top