Winter driving

stratus

Verified Owner
Supporting Member
Cars
Lucid air grand touring
Quick question. Has anyone in the group had much time/ experience with winter driving on the 19s? I am leaning toward just leaving the all seasons on the car and not swapping out for snow tires. Not sure how many forum members had the car last winter and drove in nasty conditions.

Hi there, I am looking at going into snow in my new 2024 Touring w/ 19s. M&S. they say 3"-4". but highway. I bet i am ok right?

Hi there, I am looking at going into snow in my new 2024 Touring w/ 19s. M&S. they say 3"-4". but highway. I bet i am ok right?

I drive in deeper snow on a pretty regular basis, and the car does well, with 19 all seasons. It would do better with snow tires. Put your Regen on low and be careful of icy spots. The car is heavy and can slip a bit when coming to a stop , but in my experience, traction control is excellent.
I think the Lucid is comparable to my Subaru for winter driving; I am quite pleased with it.

This goes without saying, but I tried to make a go of deep snow driving on the 21’s with OEM p zero’s - an absolute unmitigated disaster, undrivable. I’ve since driven through light snow on 21’s with pilot sport AS’s which seemed ok.

I've never had an issue with all-season tires on AWD vehicles in Utah winters. I just got my Touring and I don't plan to drive it much in the winter just to keep it away from the salt, but I assume it will be excellent with the all-season 19s when I do drive it in the snow.

I've never had an issue with all-season tires on AWD vehicles in Utah winters. I just got my Touring and I don't plan to drive it much in the winter just to keep it away from the salt, but I assume it will be excellent with the all-season 19s when I do drive it in the snow.
The all-season 19s are fine. The Soto zero snow tires are even better. But only needed if you need to drive through a lot of snow fairly often.

I’m in Idaho and it’s been great in the winter. Don’t garage it during the winter, drive that thing!!😉😉😉

Yeah zero issues with the 19s in the snow we had in Rhode Island today, maybe like one tire slip but the traction control fixed it immediately. I also took the wife’s XC40 recharge to the grocery store later in heavy snow, with 21” Pirelli Scorpions all seasons and it did fantastic in the snow, I was watching some other SUVs slide to a stop when they would be going like 5mph. People don’t realize that having an SUV isn’t an insurance policy against bad weather, some are worse than a front wheel drive Corolla. Last year we had one big snow and the interstates were unplowed and I watched a Ford Explorer sliding all over the place while the Lucid on the 19s was easily controlled.

Not really about tires but I had to share for those of us in "nice weather" areas. We had a cold drop in LA today where it hit 40 something early this morning. First time I used the seat warmer, heated steering wheel, and defrost features in my GT. They are nice and fast...🥶

Not really about tires but I had to share for those of us in "nice weather" areas. We had a cold drop in LA today where it hit 40 something early this morning. First time I used the seat warmer, heated steering wheel, and defrost features in my GT. They are nice and fast...🥶
Wow, I use the heated steering wheel and seats all the time in Phoenix. Have never used the defroster though.

As much as I envy all the folks who never need a defroster, you really haven’t lived until you’ve used the windshield de-icer feature.

I park mostly underground, so even I’ve only had to use it three or four times. But for a guy who spent his teen years outside a car, angrily trying to dislodge ice every winter morning with a cheap plastic scraper, breathing in fumes from the exhaust, and sweating through my winter coat and sweater, it’s pure magic.

As much as I envy all the folks who never need a defroster, you really haven’t lived until you’ve used the windshield de-icer feature.

I park mostly underground, so even I’ve only had to use it three or four times. But for a guy who spent his teen years outside a car, angrily trying to dislodge ice every winter morning with a cheap plastic scraper, breathing in fumes from the exhaust, and sweating through my winter coat and sweater, it’s pure magic.
Although I live in Phoenix now, I spent 40 years in Denver so understand completely. Much time spent scraping ice and snow off my 1977 Datsun B210, 1982 Saab 900 Turbo, etc., etc..

You should definitely post your efficiency in the "inclement weather" thread at such a low temperature lol

Yeah zero issues with the 19s in the snow we had in Rhode Island today, maybe like one tire slip but the traction control fixed it immediately. I also took the wife’s XC40 recharge to the grocery store later in heavy snow, with 21” Pirelli Scorpions all seasons and it did fantastic in the snow, I was watching some other SUVs slide to a stop when they would be going like 5mph. People don’t realize that having an SUV isn’t an insurance policy against bad weather, some are worse than a front wheel drive Corolla. Last year we had one big snow and the interstates were unplowed and I watched a Ford Explorer sliding all over the place while the Lucid on the 19s was easily controlled.

I drove our Lucid AGT with 19” tires at 5 am for 40 miles during the storm we had this weekend in New England. Slush, ice, snow, and freezing rain with the roads just barely plowed. The Lucid did great. One little slip as I went around a curve but it was just for an instant and corrected right away. My wife didn’t even notice. I switched high regen to normal, and that made the car even easier to handle. The front radar stopped working about 20 minutes into the drive thanks to winter accumulation but not a big deal, as there’s no way I’m using ADAS when the roads are that bad. I do wish though that the sensors were heated or could be spray cleaned. I think BMW has that feature.

FWIW: I live in MN and have had the Lucid winter tire package since day 1. They are pretty good for snow but if I were to do it over again I would do Nokian's EV winter tire vs. Pirelli.

A little late to the thread, but after taking delivery in October 2022, we drove to Santa Fe for an inaugural road trip. On the way back, we hit a lot (3-4") of snow and the stock 19" AW tires were fine. The extra heft of the car seems to give it a lot of stability, and I never felt any unease (but I wasn't driving like an idiot either). That said, the Pirelli sottozeros are pretty great...

Back