Winter Car Wash Lessons Learned

Snafu

Verified Owner
Cars
2000 RAV4, AGT/Zen Red
Took my car for a wash before the upcoming storm (For obvious reasons shown below, she'll stay tucked in the garage), with temps at 22 degrees (not counting windchill). I got home and the frunk was frozen shut. I was starting to worry the beef I had bought to make stew would be in there till Spring. I got out a blow dryer and managed to thaw it out, thankfully. (Towel now tucked in the trunk.)

1704506689711.png

You are not alone, I also learned recently that spraying on and wiping ONR in these temperatures results in something like ONR flavored ice cream. Not the most useful thing to clean with. Glad you got your frunk thawed without damage, be aware that other people have damaged the seal trying to open it while frozen.

We were in Rutland (minus 15 degrees F ) VT. Went out at sunrise to warm the car. Locked myself out of the hotel (Vermont Inn). Did not have parka on,...pajama bottoms...slippers. Later that same morning: did not let car warm up enough and could not shift out of park = transmission frozen solid. Almost broke the darn thing thinking the fastest way to warm the car was to drive it. No. Respect the cold.

{Yes the skiing at Killington was excellent = fresh dry powder. Untracked. Got up to minus 11 degrees F by noon. Fantastic family ski day.}

I'm thinking the Lucid is not a skiers car. Not a snow skiers car. Yes we do not wash our ski car until May. A healthy protective coating of salt, grit and grime keeps the rusted bits from falling off.
1704508764605.jpeg
Robert Redford. Downhill Racer. Head Killy DH
my idol in HS = Jean Claude Killy
1704508939721.jpeg

Last edited:
You are not alone, I also learned recently that spraying on and wiping ONR in these temperatures results in something like ONR flavored ice cream. Not the most useful thing to clean with. Glad you got your frunk thawed without damage, be aware that other people have damaged the seal trying to open it while frozen.
What is ONR?

Back