Will EVs make much difference re. global warming?

Thanks for posting the article. Quite a few holes in this:
-Seemingly unaware of the distinction between supply and demand, jumping to conclusion lack of consumer demand is reason EVs are relatively low % of car sales (ignoring order backlogs and wait times).
-annual CO2 emmission reduction for converting the vehicle fleet to electric will actually be 1.5 billion tons, and that’s assuming power generation mix will remain the same as today (which it won’t- the shift to more renewable generation is rapid and accelerating). Writer basically falls into the “if you can’t do everything immediately it doesn’t make sense to do anything at all” fallacy.
-electric cars have greater wear on brakes? Gimme a brake!
-insinuates study found EVs put out more
particulate emissions (due to increased tire, brake and road wear) than ICE, but the linked study found the opposite.
-Cites study that used a 2014 electric Ford Focus to show EVs cause more pollution than ICE vehicles
-Brings up ethical concerns regarding cobalt mining, which is fair concern, but completely avoids addressing the huge ethical, environmental, and war atrocities connected to oil extraction.
-states life cycle cost of EVs is higher than ICE because EVs are only driven half as much, a debunked claim https://its.ucdavis.edu/blog-post/no-electric-vehicles-arent-driven-less-than-gas-cars/
-17% (about 3M cars) of new cars in US will be electric in 2050??? More like 2025!

And when we have the next Covid like Pandemic, which Mother Nature will ensure, mass transit where everybody is packed together, is the last thing you want with a contagious spreading virus.
I'm not arguing, my friend. If you want to move the largest number of people with the least environmental impact, efficient mass transit plus highly efficient individual vehicles are required. Really, creating a vehicle that can go from 0-60 in 3 seconds has nothing to do with environmental concerns, and if you really want to "make things better" vehicles should be limited to the most efficient speeds. Again, I'm not arguing FOR this, but that's what it would take for the transportation side of pollution to really be able to make a dent in the output.

Going electric is still an overall step in the right direction because at least it's fuel CAN come from renewable sources. And with OTA updates, you can get new features without getting a new vehicle, which is frequently why people upgrade. And whoever made the comments about the oil and gas subsidies is on point. I didn't actually know that was still a thing till a friend pointed it out to me last year. I was floored.

Back