Wheel size effects on range

chinesejpl

Cars
Air GT
I wanted to post this question here as I find the technical expertise on this forum to be much higher than the others I am on. I have searched the internet for the answer to this question and I am still not convinced I have found the answer.

Q: What effect does a larger wheel have on range if tire width and tire type/brand are kept the same?

For instance, going from 21" 275/45/21 x 9.5" with Pirelli p-zero tires to 22" 275/40/22 x 9.5" with the same Pirelli p-zero tires, the diameter of the wheel/tire is 0.08" smaller with the 22" and circumference 0.26" less. I see how that can affect things like speedometer accuracy but what does that do to range? I know that wheel design also affects range (some say 3-5%). My thoughts are that it would be neglible, or small (<5%), if the wheel design stayed exactly the same, as all I'd be doing is replacing some of the tire side wall with aluminum, which I realize will affect ride quality. When Lucid states different ranges for their wheel sizes I assumed it was mostly due to the difference in tires (sticky summer tires vs harder all seasons) and width of the tire.

I wanted to post this question here as I find the technical expertise on this forum to be much higher than the others I am on. I have searched the internet for the answer to this question and I am still not convinced I have found the answer.

Q: What effect does a larger wheel have on range if tire width and tire type/brand are kept the same?

For instance, going from 21" 275/45/21 x 9.5" with Pirelli p-zero tires to 22" 275/40/22 x 9.5" with the same Pirelli p-zero tires, the diameter of the wheel/tire is 0.08" smaller with the 22" and circumference 0.26" less. I see how that can affect things like speedometer accuracy but what does that do to range? I know that wheel design also affects range (some say 3-5%). My thoughts are that it would be neglible, or small (<5%), if the wheel design stayed exactly the same, as all I'd be doing is replacing some of the tire side wall with aluminum, which I realize will affect ride quality. When Lucid states different ranges for their wheel sizes I assumed it was mostly due to the difference in tires (sticky summer tires vs harder all seasons) and width of the tire.

Based on the data it's around 4% per inch. So if you use the 19" as the baseline, you will lose around 4% range with 20".

Back