what is Discord ?

Cosmo Cruz

Verified Owner
Supporting Member
Cars
2022 Air GT: Cos/Cruz
DE Number
I've seen this mentioned and have no idea what it is (I'm old). Just from the sound of it I am repulsed. Why would anyone risk being on a dark webpage? What is the purpose?
Is it just a trap for the clueless ? What is a discord and who benefits?

When I was an audiophile I used to visit a gear/music website (I think it was Audio Asylum but it was a long time ago). A couple of the guys did not like the children and the necessary harsh moderation (it was a site for the retailers).
Someone built an "outside", invitation only, so we could fight and say anything we pleased. The first few weeks were awesome. People were invited to join...and they were the most bestest of the bunch. We went off topic immediately, but the technical discussion and music reviews were awesome. Some of the smartest/witty folk who were also audiophiles. It was great to see into the personalities of the screen names, when they could post pretty much anything. Thing is, initially, they were all adults, loved gear and music, and self-moderated pretty well. The discussion were mostly about music and gear, but could devolve off topic at any moment. Thing is, it always came back to the topic. Members seemed to know how special the moment was. Over time ... entropy.

I spent years on that site...until my hearing got so compromised I realized that I couldn't hear where I'd spent time and money. My right ear cuts off at 6kHz...left about 8.
Let's not talk about tinnitus. I sold all my gear and started drinking. The amazing thing about ethanol abuse: it doesn't effect your hearing...not like going to a rock concert.
You can be dying of liver failure and in DTs...but you hear the music same same. I think it's the only sense that is not ruined by ethanol. I think it's so you can hear God. He's a drunk too.

So if we had something like "Outside" for the Lucid early adopters.... that would be awesome.

If you have to ask, it's better you don't know. Sometimes, in this case, ignorance is bliss. Let the degenerates have their chat room!

Discord is a voice and chat program that was popularized by gamers. As it’s continued to grow it’s continued to add features such as live streaming the games you are currently playing. Discords popularity has morphed into a platform in which people will create discord channels dedicated to a certain thing (kind of like a subreddit) and people interested in that particular topic will join the server to share their ideas and thoughts. Some may even join the voice channels. It’s not some dark web hidden thing though. It’s extremely popular, I’d be willing to bet the most popular chat service out right now.

How do you do fellow kids.

I'm more of a Roger Wilco and Ventrillo person myself. But since talking to myself isn't as entertaining when off the medication, Discord it is!

I've seen this mentioned and have no idea what it is (I'm old). Just from the sound of it I am repulsed. Why would anyone risk being on a dark webpage? What is the purpose?
Is it just a trap for the clueless ? What is a discord and who benefits?

When I was an audiophile I used to visit a gear/music website (I think it was Audio Asylum but it was a long time ago). A couple of the guys did not like the children and the necessary harsh moderation (it was a site for the retailers).
Someone built an "outside", invitation only, so we could fight and say anything we pleased. The first few weeks were awesome. People were invited to join...and they were the most bestest of the bunch. We went off topic immediately, but the technical discussion and music reviews were awesome. Some of the smartest/witty folk who were also audiophiles. It was great to see into the personalities of the screen names, when they could post pretty much anything. Thing is, initially, they were all adults, loved gear and music, and self-moderated pretty well. The discussion were mostly about music and gear, but could devolve off topic at any moment. Thing is, it always came back to the topic. Members seemed to know how special the moment was. Over time ... entropy.

I spent years on that site...until my hearing got so compromised I realized that I couldn't hear where I'd spent time and money. My right ear cuts off at 6kHz...left about 8.
Let's not talk about tinnitus. I sold all my gear and started drinking. The amazing thing about ethanol abuse: it doesn't effect your hearing...not like going to a rock concert.
You can be dying of liver failure and in DTs...but you hear the music same same. I think it's the only sense that is not ruined by ethanol. I think it's so you can hear God. He's a drunk too.

So if we had something like "Outside" for the Lucid early adopters.... that would be awesome.
I dont think discord is dangerous but be careful of discord mods.

There is nothing inherintly dangerous about Discord. I play games as a hobby and it is perfect for discussing various topics (you can split chat discussions into channels - for instance to discuss different games - you can host media, and have easily accessible voice chat and streaming. You can make small communities for your friends (like with your "outside" can you make it invite only) or larger public communities like the one linked on this forum for Lucid. There's the usual crpyto scammer stuff, but you can easily filter out direct messages to friends only.

There's nothing "dark" about it. It's just a very popular chat/voice program for gamers but plenty of other interests use it as well.

No offense, but isn’t this something that could have been googled?

This is possibly the weirdest off interpretation of Discord I’ve read to date 😞 just based on the name vs what it is.

I’m guessing you know what Facebook Messenger is — it’s basically that.

This is possibly the weirdest off interpretation of Discord I’ve read to date 😞 just based on the name vs what it is.

People could Google it. They'd get 1.8 billion hits. The fortunate part is that the first results seem relevant. But since it shows up as an option at the top of the Lucidowners web pages for the forum, it's a legitimate forum question, and using the forum search box would presumably lead to this thread, indicating why it's relevant to Lucid owners.

Then there's this:
noun
  1. lack of concord or harmony between persons or things:marital discord.
  2. disagreement; difference of opinion.
  1. strife; dispute; war.
  2. Music. an inharmonious combination of musical tones sounded together.
  3. any confused or harsh noise; dissonance.

Great. I've contacted the right person, because I have no idea what you just said.

that's why I'm asking ... what is discord, and should I enter a Lucid discord so I can
.... "express my real feelings to complete strangers without consequence"

no. i do not "googled" what is "googled" ?

wait ... is it like Bing or FireFox ?

{I'm not an idiot. I learned to code in BASIC}

wait ... is it like Bing or FireFox ?

{I'm not an idiot. I learned to code in BASIC}
Yes(to it being like bing and Firefox)

And with discord you could theoretically do that, as it’s instant messaging making rants much faster. Don’t forget though, if you can join this forum, you can join the discord, meaning there is not much difference between the strangers here and the strangers there.

Also I’m sorry and I mean no disrespect, but I do wonder how you haven’t heard about google for 20 years.. 🤣

Back