Warranty in Europe

des16

I was planning on shipping my car to Europe for a year while I will be working there. I was told that I could transfer the warranty to European country, if and when the car is being sold there. That's great. The problem is that they will not allow me to transfer the warranty back to the US. This is pretty discouraging. I have shipped other US purchased cars to Europe, including Volvo and BMW, and they have always honored. world wide warranty.

Why would you even transfer the warranty if your going to bring the car back?

The I have a problem with the car and it needs service in Europe
Especially after only a year?
I did not want to transfer the warranty. But, I was told that the only way that Lucid would service the car is if it was covered by a European warranty -- that is, the US warranty that comes with the car is useless for service in Europe. So, they recommended transferring the warranty coverage from US to Europe. That sounded fine, until I asked the follow up question about what happens when I return the US. The response was that the warranty would have been voided. Not very nice.

The I have a problem with the car and it needs service in Europe

I did not want to transfer the warranty. But, I was told that the only way that Lucid would service the car is if it was covered by a European warranty -- that is, the US warranty that comes with the car is useless for service in Europe. So, they recommended transferring the warranty coverage from US to Europe. That sounded fine, until I asked the follow up question about what happens when I return the US. The response was that the warranty would have been voided. Not very nice.
The warranty should be on the vehicle, not a geographic location. While getting service will be affected by geography, the recognition of a defect resides totally in the vehicle.

I believe the information you were given should be challenged at Lucid HQ.

They referred me to the following warranty document: https://www.lucidmotors.com/static/...cid-air-new-vehicle-limited-warranty-2021.pdf

It states that:
You may take your Lucid Air temporarily to any region where there is a Lucid Service Center, and the Lucid Warranty will be honored in that region. Temporary is defined as
a period less than six months. Proof of compliance with any temporary import laws or regulations is required. If you are permanently moving to a new region supported by a Lucid Service Center, you may apply to Lucid to transfer the Lucid Warranty to the region for the duration of your ownership. Requests to transfer a vehicle’s Lucid Warranty will be decided on a case-by-case basis by Lucid at its absolute discretion, and will be subject
to certain conditions, including all necessary regional modifications being carried out by a Lucid Service Center at the owner’s cost.

So, I could be covered for 6 months, but after that I would have to apply for a transfer of the warranty. If that was granted, however, the Headquarters Sales Advisor wrote that if the transfer was granted, they would not under any circumstances consider transferring it back to the US.

They referred me to the following warranty document: https://www.lucidmotors.com/static/...cid-air-new-vehicle-limited-warranty-2021.pdf

It states that:
You may take your Lucid Air temporarily to any region where there is a Lucid Service Center, and the Lucid Warranty will be honored in that region. Temporary is defined as
a period less than six months. Proof of compliance with any temporary import laws or regulations is required. If you are permanently moving to a new region supported by a Lucid Service Center, you may apply to Lucid to transfer the Lucid Warranty to the region for the duration of your ownership. Requests to transfer a vehicle’s Lucid Warranty will be decided on a case-by-case basis by Lucid at its absolute discretion, and will be subject
to certain conditions, including all necessary regional modifications being carried out by a Lucid Service Center at the owner’s cost.

So, I could be covered for 6 months, but after that I would have to apply for a transfer of the warranty. If that was granted, however, the Headquarters Sales Advisor wrote that if the transfer was granted, they would not under any circumstances consider transferring it back to the US.
I can't believe they have this clause. Ridiculous. You should definitely send a rather pointed email to Lucid. Pretty much every other car maker on the planet will take care of their cars regardless of where they are located if there is something wrong with it in the warranty period. I guess the best thing for you to do in the meantime is to not transfer the warranty and try to buy a separate 1yr coverage in Europe. I have seen warranties that you can buy here in the USA after your original expires, I suspect that you can probably buy something for just a 1 year period, kind of like buying health insurance for a trip outside of the US.

I have tried to elevate the issue, but no one has responded to me. Any suggestions on where or whom to write. At this point, I will not purchase the car, not that they care.

I would send an email to Zak Edson, who is Vice President of Sales and Service. I think his information is available on Linkedin. You should tell them that manufacturing warranties are for the product, not the location. Add my name to your complaint. They should know that this is very poor marketing and PR, especially since they are opening up centers in Europe and the Middle East. And the last thing they need is poor PR right now, something you can make a point about. :)

Will there be a viable service network in Europe by the time you go? I think the latest is that Lucid is planning to start European deliveries late this year but not sure if that still holds- I imagine it’s highly dependent on how well production is ramping up

Will there be a viable service network in Europe by the time you go? I think the latest is that Lucid is planning to start European deliveries late this year but not sure if that still holds- I imagine it’s highly dependent on how well production is ramping up
I have been told by the person I have been communicating with that the service center will open in Munich before the end of the calendar year. But as you note, that may be another false promise. I would understand Lucid responding that they would honor the warranty, conditional upon the service center being up and running. But, unfortunately they have just said that it is an either or: North America or Europe.

Is there a limit on the number of ‘temporary’ periods? Maybe you can just swing this as two 6 month temporary periods.

Is there a limit on the number of ‘temporary’ periods? Maybe you can just swing this as two 6 month temporary periods.
Yes, they were clear: if I transferred the warranty from the US to Europe, that's it -- not possible to transfer it back to the US.

Back