Usefulness of Surveillance cameras

Tesla2.0

Referral Code - F0ZQ8SWA
Verified Owner
Cars
Lucid Air Grand Touring
Referral Code
F0ZQ8SWA
Crime caught by Tesla Sentry Mode as witness.

McClaren accident caught by Rivian Gear Guard.

I really, really hope Lucid enables camera recording in its cars soon.

I was lucky in our Lucid Air accident last week when the young man who turned left in front of us was honest with the police about the collision, even though it resulted in his being held 100% responsible.

But three weeks earlier it went the other way. I was backing our Honda Odyssey minivan out of a parking space at a bank branch and was already fully in the travel lane. As I put the car in gear to pull forward, a car backing out of a space on the opposite side of the lot struck our rear bumper. The damage was minor (and only to our car), and I was just going to exchange information with the other driver. However, he said he had insurance but could not find his card. I got suspicious and told him I was going to have to call the police. When the police arrived, he suddenly remembered where his insurance card was. He then proceeded to lie about who hit whom. I asked the bank about their security footage in the parking lot, but they would not release it without a subpoena and said the process could take several weeks. After I showed his insurer, GEICO, a photo of the position of my car when it was hit, they agreed to pay half my repair costs, saying their insured was still insisting he was not at fault. I'm going to drop it at that as it's not worth a pitched battle.

But I really, really would like to have had the incident captured on the car's camera.

I was lucky in our Lucid Air accident last week when the young man who turned left in front of us was honest with the police about the collision, even though it resulted in his being held 100% responsible.

But three weeks earlier it went the other way. I was backing our Honda Odyssey minivan out of a parking space at a bank branch and was already fully in the travel lane. As I put the car in gear to pull forward, a car backing out of a space on the opposite side of the lot struck our rear bumper. The damage was minor (and only to our car), and I was just going to exchange information with the other driver. However, he said he had insurance but could not find his card. I got suspicious and told him I was going to have to call the police. When the police arrived, he suddenly remembered where his insurance card was. He then proceeded to lie about who hit whom. I asked the bank about their security footage in the parking lot, but they would not release it without a subpoena and said the process could take several weeks. After I showed his insurer, GEICO, a photo of the position of my car when it was hit, they agreed to pay half my repair costs, saying their insured was still insisting he was not at fault. I'm going to drop it at that as it's not worth a pitched battle.

But I really, really would like to have had the incident captured on the car's camera.
This is a much better use case for Sentry mode than criminals breaking into your car, vandalizing it, etc. In my experience, cops won't do crap about such things, even with video evidence.

But confirming what happened in an accident? Insurance companies are more than receptive to this sort of thing.

I once had a woman in the opposing lane turn directly in front of me while driving in the middle of a block in San Francisco. She swore up and down to the police she was turning at an intersection and had the right of way. I had run a red light, she kept telling them. Mind you, it was the MIDDLE OF THE BLOCK where we collided, and even if we had been at an intersection, if the light were red, she would have been turning left on red, in any case.

Fortunately, it was so obvious she was out of her mind to the cops that they immediately sided with me.

If we had actually been at an intersection, it may have been harder to convince them.

Both surveillance mode and dash cam are useful. Rivian announced to their EV owners that dash cam is currently working in progress after GearGuard. I’m sure Lucid is working on something down the road as well, especially Bobby has a laundry list conveniently compiled for them to look up.

I so wish I had a recording of whichever asshole (perhaps Masshole) scraped my bumper and fender while parked. That feature would have been a godsend. Please Lucid, are you listening?

I so wish I had a recording of whichever asshole (perhaps Masshole) scraped my bumper and fender while parked. That feature would have been a godsend. Please Lucid, are you listening?
And what would you do with that video, other than watch it over and over again and steam?

I can tell you anywhre I've lived, the cops wouldn't do anything about it.

And what would you do with that video, other than watch it over and over again and steam?

Yup. I have a lovely video of thieves smashing my rear quarter window, peering inside, and walking away disappointed. Police weren’t interested. I keep it as a souvenir.

Videos of car accidents are great things to have. A guy who rear ended me claimed I made an unsafe lane change. He sent a video to my insurance company. They looked at it and said “it looks safe to us”

( I had changed lanes just as the car in front of me slammed on his brakes. I didn’t hit them, but the car behind me hit me.)

I wonder what catchy name Lucid will come up with for it? LucidView? LucidSight?
Seeing as Lucid's mascot is the California Bear, I suspect that Lucid's implementation of Dashcam/Sentry mode will be named Cocaine Bear mode

Videos of car accidents are great things to have. A guy who rear ended me claimed I made an unsafe lane change. He sent a video to my insurance company. They looked at it and said “it looks safe to us”

( I had changed lanes just as the car in front of me slammed on his brakes. I didn’t hit them, but the car behind me hit me.)
Video is great proof for insurance company. Couple years ago, I had an incident in my son’s high school where I was accused of ramming into a car passenger door opened into traffic. After insurance company got the school parking lot footage, they reverted the accusation from the other party. It was them opening door slamming into my car in motion.

Well, if I could make out the license plate of the car that hit me, I’d submit that to my insurance and let them deal with it. Either way, no loss.

Back