RESOLVED Unable to remove plug from the charging port

actnjack

Verified Owner
Reaction score
Cars
Lucia Air Grand Touring
At an Electrify America charging station in the SF BA, I had issue charging. I Kept getting the unplug and replug message for several times; on the last time I received the message, it would not unlock or unplug. I called the EA customer service number; the agent advised me to read users manual as instructed by their instructional manual.

In the charging section of the user manual, it instructs users how to remove a charging plug that will not unlock. Basically, there is a bypass manual lever under the hood just above the charging point.

I highly recommend that all users review this procedure so you won’t get frustrated like I did.

Another thing peoplenhave forgotten in the past is to unlock the car.

Does unlocking actually unlock the port all the time? I had an issue a while back where the plug just wouldn't come out and I know an unlocked car didn't resolve it because I opened the frunk from the inside to then pull the tab to release the plug. Unless this is something that was tweaked at some point via an OTA.

Does unlocking actually unlock the port all the time? I had an issue a while back where the plug just wouldn't come out and I know an unlocked car didn't resolve it because I opened the frunk from the inside to then pull the tab to release the plug. Unless this is something that was tweaked at some point via an OTA.
The emergency release is there because it can get stuck for whatever reason, but that's different from it being locked. Some people have definitely just not realized that you need to unlock the car in order to unplug the cable.

Yes, I "forgot" also in the past to unlock the car. In addition, I had issues with the charging station as the "Stop" button did not work, but then I just hit "Stop Charging" on the big display undercharging in the Lucid, and then I was able to unplug.

Yes, I "forgot" also in the past to unlock the car. In addition, I had issues with the charging station as the "Stop" button did not work, but then I just hit "Stop Charging" on the big display undercharging in the Lucid, and then I was able to unplug.
You should be able to unplug without pressing either stop button as long as your car is unlocked. I don't "stop" charging half the time. Pressing the release button on the plug stops the charging.

At an Electrify America charging station in the SF BA, I had issue charging. I Kept getting the unplug and replug message for several times; on the last time I received the message, it would not unlock or unplug. I called the EA customer service number; the agent advised me to read users manual as instructed by their instructional manual.

In the charging section of the user manual, it instructs users how to remove a charging plug that will not unlock. Basically, there is a bypass manual lever under the hood just above the charging point.

I highly recommend that all users review this procedure so you won’t get frustrated like I did.
Actnjack
Did the unplug and replug say charging error?
I’ve had these from time to time

Emergency_Plug_Release.webp

On our recent trip that was plagued with EA problems, this happened to us three times at one location as we kept trying to initiate a charge and getting repeated "Authentication Error" notifications.

The car was unlocked when it happened. I was sitting behind the wheel, and my partner had gotten out of the car to plug in. The door handles were still extended, indicating the car had not relocked when the passenger got out.

This only happened at that one location. At the other EA stops where we also had the same issues initiating charges, the cable released each time we got an instruction to unplug, but the scenario was identical: I stayed behind the wheel while the passenger got out, and the car door handles remained extended.

Fortunately, using the key fob to "unlock" the already unlocked car did release the cable. Good thing, too, because we could not access the manual cable release in the frunk. The frunk latch had jammed the day before the trip, and the Lucid mobile tech told us not to operate the lid until the car could be taken to a Service Center. He said if we did open the lid and it did not close completely as was happening, the car would go into limp mode and could only be driven at a few miles per hour.

The limp mode is real; we had the problem with the frunk not completely closing and it did go into limp mode which is about 5 mph.

I have a somewhat of a similar issue .... lately, the cable from my Juice Box / Enel cable will not release when pressing the button. I try repeatedly, and then after about a minute plus, there is a "click", and the cable releases with a press of the button.

Any thoughts what the issue is?

As mentioned earlier, make sure your car is unlocked; also try using the app or the car charger button if not already tried

Back