U.S. News Rankings 2023

Interesting that people think of Tesla 3 and S as luxury cars, but you can't buy one with blind spot warning in side mirrors, or 360-degree cameras, both typical midrange auto options..

Interesting that people think of Tesla 3 and S as luxury cars, but you can't buy one with blind spot warning in side mirrors, or 360-degree cameras, both typical midrange auto options..
Yeah, I can't believe people consider Tesla interior "luxury" people are gullible af

I agree that tesla cars probably shouldn't be considered luxury. However, I'm reluctant to point at any tech options that are unavailable and say that's the reason it's not luxury. We all know that our wish list for lucid contains multiple tech options including many that are available on other less expensive vehicles. I tend to think of luxury as being based on interior materials, seats, ride comfort etc and my Touring definitely fits my definition of luxury. This is my first luxury car and first EV, though. So, maybe I'm just not really in tune with what make one car luxury and one not.

I agree that tesla cars probably shouldn't be considered luxury. However, I'm reluctant to point at any tech options that are unavailable and say that's the reason it's not luxury. We all know that our wish list for lucid contains multiple tech options including many that are available on other less expensive vehicles. I tend to think of luxury as being based on interior materials, seats, ride comfort etc and my Touring definitely fits my definition of luxury. This is my first luxury car and first EV, though. So, maybe I'm just not really in tune with what make one car luxury and one not.
I think luxury is more creature comfort. People mistake that for "tech" and although some features fits the bill (like interior cabin lighting, each person getting their own screen, and auto open frunk and trunk, air purifiers and scents).. I think it's more so about creature comfort and materials.
(massage seats, wood trim, fit and finish, ability to adjust seats completely, etc)

Unfortunately our lucid gave us too many issues and we opted to get rid of it and wait for the kinks to be sorted while we wait for the Gravity to be ready…

We switched to an i7 and it is quite amazing. It is def longer than the AGT and is missing the frunk. I do miss the power of the AGT and the less frequent charging stops … the i7 nailed the luxury and comfort … and surpasses the AGT …. Im not at all surprised the vehicles came in ranking at first place … it’s a tough call between the two as they mail different pros …

Unfortunately our lucid gave us too many issues and we opted to get rid of it and wait for the kinks to be sorted while we wait for the Gravity to be ready…

We switched to an i7 and it is quite amazing. It is def longer than the AGT and is missing the frunk. I do miss the power of the AGT and the less frequent charging stops … the i7 nailed the luxury and comfort … and surpasses the AGT …. Im not at all surprised the vehicles came in ranking at first place … it’s a tough call between the two as they mail different pros …
I agree and congrats on the i7. Been a BMW owner for a long time (still own but daughter drives it more these days), and I've always love their cars and engineering. When I wanted to buy an EV last year, it was between the i7 and AGT. After the test drives, AGT won for me on the overall design, tech, and engineering (power, performance, battery, etc.)... like you, the interior luxury, I still vote for the i7. The other two things I didn't like about the i7, the larger than needed massive front grill (why?) and the length as I generally prefer mid-size. I'm still getting used to the extra length and width of the AGT as my rims can tell you.

The I7 is too big for me (it is a size larger than the Lucid Air). But the new I5 will have much of what is in the I7 and will be the BMW competition for the Air. IMHO.
Except the the range on the i5 is not impressive. Should have been over 400 on the range. Disappointing, since was really looking forward to the i5, as really like BMW.

I am looking at the i7 as well. How did you like the driving experience compared to the lucid?

Say, are you considering the i5?
I like a smaller car. Kids are grown up. So my desire is for a small vehicle that has luxury and performance. That is really hard to find. The Genesis GV60 Performance comes pretty close and so far I am happy with it. My only complaint is that it is a crossover, not a sedan and being taller won't handle like a sedan. Now if BMW would put the luxury into a vehicle no bigger than a 3 series (preferably smaller), while keeping the performance, I would be interested.

But if I wanted a car that was a mid sized car, then I would consider the I5 as a competitor to the Lucid Air.

Interestingly, to me, my dealership gave me an Electrified G80 as a loaner while my car was in for a recall so I had a few weeks of driving an electrified sedan that is about the size of a Lucid Air. I don't worry about 0-60 (pretty much everybody is capable of that these days) but passing on a steep hill where I had been going 65 or more is what I want in a vehicle. I did not have a chance to test this out while I was driving the loaner. My biggest concern was storage. Essentially, there is none. The trunk is tiny and not even flat. Otherwise this is a very nice car BUT it is basically a grand tourer and a grand tourer should have room for luggage, etc.

Car and Driver rated it 7th in its class; BMW I7 was 5th and, of course, Lucid Air was first:

I like a smaller car. Kids are grown up. So my desire is for a small vehicle that has luxury and performance. That is really hard to find. The Genesis GV60 Performance comes pretty close and so far I am happy with it. My only complaint is that it is a crossover, not a sedan and being taller won't handle like a sedan. Now if BMW would put the luxury into a vehicle no bigger than a 3 series (preferably smaller), while keeping the performance, I would be interested.

But if I wanted a car that was a mid sized car, then I would consider the I5 as a competitor to the Lucid Air.

Interestingly, to me, my dealership gave me an Electrified G80 as a loaner while my car was in for a recall so I had a few weeks of driving an electrified sedan that is about the size of a Lucid Air. I don't worry about 0-60 (pretty much everybody is capable of that these days) but passing on a steep hill where I had been going 65 or more is what I want in a vehicle. I did not have a chance to test this out while I was driving the loaner. My biggest concern was storage. Essentially, there is none. The trunk is tiny and not even flat. Otherwise this is a very nice car BUT it is basically a grand tourer and a grand tourer should have room for luggage, etc.

Car and Driver rated it 7th in its class; BMW I7 was 5th and, of course, Lucid Air was first:

Uh... isnt the i4 the obvious choice here?

Hey folks, let's try to keep the discussion focused on the Lucid Air and it's direct competitors. If you'd like a discussion of the various electric BMW models offered, there are definitely places on the Internet for that. Thanks!

The I4 is just too ugly for me. My home office is off the garage so I have to walk through the garage to get to it. Many times a day. I couldn't stand looking at the front of the I4 that many times a day. It is also a little long for me and a little narrow and like most BMWs the luxury is at the low end (unless you go up in size like the I5) (sensatec upholstery, lack of enough buttons/switches vs. using the touch screen). But the grill is the overwhelming problem for me.

The I4 is just too ugly for me. My home office is off the garage so I have to walk through the garage to get to it. Many times a day. I couldn't stand looking at the front of the I4 that many times a day. It is also a little long for me and a little narrow and like most BMWs the luxury is at the low end (unless you go up in size like the I5) (sensatec upholstery, lack of enough buttons/switches vs. using the touch screen). But the grill is the overwhelming problem for me.
Ah.. thats why the gv60 is a good choice. Anyways, as bobby said lets try bringing it back on track!

Back