TSLA Earnings

Better quarter than most companies are likely to report. Not all roses, but all things considered, I'm sure the stock will do fine on this.

Not thrilled by the prospect of Rivian and Lucid getting compared to these results.

"According to a White House memo from June 28, Tesla also plans to “begin production of new Supercharger equipment that will enable non-Tesla EV drivers in North America to use Tesla Superchargers.”

Good thing - with a rash of recent online stories of Electrify America charging station failures, and limited charging possibilities over 50kW in many parts of the US, I think CCS cars would otherwise continue to be distant second choices after Tesla.

"According to a White House memo from June 28, Tesla also plans to “begin production of new Supercharger equipment that will enable non-Tesla EV drivers in North America to use Tesla Superchargers.”

Good thing - with a rash of recent online stories of Electrify America charging station failures, and limited charging possibilities over 50kW in many parts of the US, I think CCS cars would otherwise continue to be distant second choices after Tesla.
CCS can't be worse than CHAdeMO. When I had a Leaf, when I could actually find a charger (usually CCS/CHAdeMO charging unit), the CHAdeMO almost never worked.

If Tesla sticks with 400V chargers and just adds CCS onto them the Lucid will be limited to 50Kw no matter how fast the Tesla Supercharger is so nothing to get excited about yet.

Last edited:
If Tesla sticks with 400V chargers and just adds CCS onto them the Lucid will be limited to 50Kw no matter how fast the Tesla Supercharger is so nothing too excited about yet.
That is a concern. I was also wondering how many other CCS charging stations are 400V only. Lucid's video implied that most 400V-only stations are also only 50kW. But we'll need to know the exceptions (e.g. a 125kW station good for only 400V) when planning a road trip. Not sure how to get that information.

I guess the question is are there EVs other than the Air that are going to be slow on a 400v-only charging station? If it's just Lucid, Tesla might not care. If it's a lot of cars coming out in the next few years, they may consider upping the voltage while they are adding CCS.

Lots of ways they could handle this, but I could see them adding newly designed chargers with CCS and leaving at least some of the existing chargers at each station as "Tesla only." At least in the short term. Would cut down on the negative backlash from Tesla buyers.

I guess the question is are there EVs other than the Air that are going to be slow on a 400v-only charging station? If it's just Lucid, Tesla might not care. If it's a lot of cars coming out in the next few years, they may consider upping the voltage while they are adding CCS.

Lots of ways they could handle this, but I could see them adding newly designed chargers with CCS and leaving at least some of the existing chargers at each station as "Tesla only." At least in the short term. Would cut down on the negative backlash from Tesla buyers.
Ioniq will do 70Kw I believe
Taycan will do 50Kw standard or 150Kw (with an upgrade)

The point is though, all these 800v+ cars will not benefit from Tesla's 400v chargers,

Last edited:
Better quarter than most companies are likely to report. Not all roses, but all things considered, I'm sure the stock will do fine on this.

Not thrilled by the prospect of Rivian and Lucid getting compared to these results.
Given the COVID shutdowns in China (probably lost 100,000 cars production) and that the Germany and Texas factories are only really starting to roll and not producing in any significant numbers it doesn’t seem bad.

2652C5D5-82C6-4892-BD6E-979BEA992528.jpeg

Back