Trip Computer efficiency is wrong and here's my proof

@Solomente , I'm totally on board with your thoughts and @jedwin conclusion. Experienced similar in the Gravity. Another issue is the kWh consumption the Gravity reports is a lot lower than my very accurate EVSE reporting. I need more time to give an accurate number for this. Not sure how that plays into range.

Also would like to point out that as you mentioned not much is happening when using 120V charging. Haven't documented this on the Gravity, but on my Chevy Bolt using the 120V found that the vehicle charging support systems used more energy than was delivered to the battery. 220V dramatically increased the charging efficiency and cut charging time by nearly 4x instead of the expected 2x. Can only imagine the Air would be similar.
 
... 220V dramatically increased the charging efficiency and cut charging time by nearly 4x instead of the expected 2x. ...
Double the voltage, and double (or more) the amperage... I'd expect L2 to be 4x (or more) quicker & more efficient too.
 
Double the voltage, and double (or more) the amperage... I'd expect L2 to be 4x (or more) quicker & more efficient too.
Your correct except that the Spark is limited to 3.3kW L2. However, it can DC fast charge at 40kW which is good for it's 19kWh battery:)
 
@Solomente , I'm totally on board with your thoughts and @jedwin conclusion. Experienced similar in the Gravity. Another issue is the kWh consumption the Gravity reports is a lot lower than my very accurate EVSE reporting. I need more time to give an accurate number for this. Not sure how that plays into range.

Also would like to point out that as you mentioned not much is happening when using 120V charging. Haven't documented this on the Gravity, but on my Chevy Bolt using the 120V found that the vehicle charging support systems used more energy than was delivered to the battery. 220V dramatically increased the charging efficiency and cut charging time by nearly 4x instead of the expected 2x. Can only imagine the Air would be similar.
Thanks for the feedback. I was away for the weekend and it's been cold here all week so I haven't driven my car in over a week (summer tires, I just use a backup ICE car when it's in the 30s). But today I finally drove it and reset the trip computer as soon as I unplugged it. I want to test this a few times before I report back.
In regard to your comment about 120V charging, it seems when I plug my car in it charges to my set limit and then goes to sleep. I've been charging to 75% which shows 280 miles of range. But if it stopped charging at say 3am, by 7am when I leave the house I might "only" have 279 miles. So it seems even while plugged in, when it goes to sleep it ignores the charger and just lets the battery drain. This surprised me as I thought Lucid recommended keeping it plugged in for thermal management or something. It's not managing anything - it just goes to sleep.
Perhaps some day I will install a level 2 charger but my home provides complications... My garage is detached and my breaker panel is in my house as far away from my garage as it could be (and on the second floor!). So the quotes I've gotten, all of which are north of $4k not including the charger itself, have turned me off since I've made it just fine for 7 months on my 110 outlet.
 
Back
Top