Trim and Paint Issues

zkhan2

Verified Owner
Cars
Lucid Air GT
For those that have followed my Turtle of Doom post, I got the car back a couple of weeks ago after the service center had an accident with my car that damaged the window, A-pillar trims, and front windshield.

Today, I went to open the frunk and noticed the passenger side trim (sliver trim right below the trim with Lucid logo) popped out. I noticed some very soft and gummy glue around it. I tried to pop it back in but it would not stay. Then I noticed the tab on the trim that fits into a slot on the car seemed to be broken. It was a very sunny day (been very cloudy in Virginia for many days) and I went to get my phone from the car to take pictures and noticed a large spot where the paint looked a different shade and scuffed.

I did reach out to the SM and sent him the pictures as well and I am waiting to hear back from him. Here are the pictures below.

IMG_0431.jpg

IMG_0433.jpg

IMG_0434.jpg

IMG_0430.jpg

IMG_0429.jpg

I spoke to the service manager and they will be sending someone over on Monday to temporary fix the trim piece until they can order a new one and replace it. The trim, which I though was separate from the light bar is not, they are one unit so they have to replace the entire silver trim with the Lucid light bar.

As far as the repaint issues on my frunk, he is giving me the choice to find a shop that would paint it or have it sent back to the original shop (I really don't want to). I have called a shop that has done excellent work on my Audi S8 and Tesla in the past and see if they would take look at it.

Latest update. Lucid service tech came (not a contractor) and completed a temporary fix to my front trim and to the two (one on each side) C pillar name plates. They all have to be replaced. He also inspected the paint, finish and alignment of the frunk and confirmed what I saw, splotches in the paint. They have ordered parts and once they come in he will have the car picked up and do the work on it. I love the car, but these ongoing issues are very frustrating. If anyone is counting this my third frunk (original plus replaced twice) at least this time they either have to perform paint correction or do a repaint and the frunk is misaligned. The front lighted trim will require a full disassembly of the front bumper to have the two lighted trims replaced.

Latest update. Lucid service tech came (not a contractor) and completed a temporary fix to my front trim and to the two (one on each side) C pillar name plates. They all have to be replaced. He also inspected the paint, finish and alignment of the frunk and confirmed what I saw, splotches in the paint. They have ordered parts and once they come in he will have the car picked up and do the work on it. I love the car, but these ongoing issues are very frustrating. If anyone is counting this my third frunk (original plus replaced twice) at least this time they either have to perform paint correction or do a repaint and the frunk is misaligned. The front lighted trim will require a full disassembly of the front bumper to have the two lighted trims replaced.
If the name plates are anything like mine, that will require cantrail and bow tie replacement. They may have changed how they do it, but they have to remove the cantrails (one time use piece) to replace the logo flag, and I was told that recently something with the paint changed so they cannot just replace the cantrails as they wouldn’t match the bow tie any longer, so that much be done as well. I will be on my third set here shortly for the cantrails.

If the name plates are anything like mine, that will require cantrail and bow tie replacement. They may have changed how they do it, but they have to remove the cantrails (one time use piece) to replace the logo flag, and I was told that recently something with the paint changed so they cannot just replace the cantrails as they wouldn’t match the bow tie any longer, so that much be done as well. I will be on my third set here shortly for the cantrails.
When Lucid broke my windshield and frunk during service, the cantrails/trim at the bottom of the A pillars were also damaged. Those were replaced. But, now that you mention it the alignment of the vertical rear silver trim is no longer aligned. I will take a picture and post is shortly to see what everyone else thinks. I did take a look at an older phot of the car and it seems to be more aligned than what it is now.

What do you all think, is the vertical trim off? Actually, since the cantrails were replaced they were probably not aligned correctly with the vertical trim.

IMG_1928.jpg

Passenger side

IMG_1929.jpg

Driver side

Yeah, that seems off. That sucks man. I hope they get it fixed for you quickly.
Against my better judgement, I am going to allow Lucid to use the same bodyshop, although Lucid did give me the choice to use my own. More I thought about it, by letting Lucid use their contractor, who messed this up to begin with, at least Lucid will continue to support any fit and finish quality issues. My biggest red flag with them, other than they broke my frunk & windshield, is that the lighted trim, the tab was broken to begin with and they tried to use glue (bad glue at that) to keep it in place rather than have Lucid order a new trim.

What do you all think, is the vertical trim off? Actually, since the cantrails were replaced they were probably not aligned correctly with the vertical trim.

View attachment 6289
Passenger side

View attachment 6290
Driver side
Here’s a photo of mine, yea yours are off. Mine on the driver side is ever so slightly but you have to look at it closely. Well, we will see how it looks after the next repair.

Attachments

• 817496D4-01E8-4BDD-B864-3F0982751AEA.jpeg
    817496D4-01E8-4BDD-B864-3F0982751AEA.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 90
  • D7F3C613-ACEC-424F-AB00-24E61F3DF89D.jpeg
    D7F3C613-ACEC-424F-AB00-24E61F3DF89D.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 92
Here’s a photo of mine, yea yours are off. Mine on the driver side is ever so slightly but you have to look at it closely. Well, we will see how it looks after the next repair.
Definitely looks better.

Back