Took the plunge on LUCID AIR, but only for 2 years(!)

BerkeleyLeaser

Verified Owner
Cars
AT/Cosmos Silver/Tahoe
Referral Code
XUNS9E4P
Hello Lucid Dreamers!

I'm a 58 year old male in Berkeley CA - just added a Lucid Air Touring to my stable. Previously driving a Jaguar XJL. Hedged my bets till the end because of concerns about reliability, and the 2 year lease (12k miles/$1567 pcm with $10K down/adj cap cost=$86,045/residual=$64,898) is kind of an extended test drive! But... So far so good! (after, like, 60 miles - so you may say it's a little too early to judge). The acceleration is mind blowing! The look of the car is stunning! And the rear seats have more space than the Jag (which has an extended wheelbase, hence the 'L')...

I backed out the monthly rate of interest on the lease as 8.3%* for the 24 month and 7.5%* for the 36/48 month. So, an expensive test drive(!). I did the calc by plugging in different down payments on the lease and calculating (using Excel goal seek) what interest rate gives the same present value. (*Note: Not an APR, but an annual rate by compounding the monthly rate of interest). Also, the buy in for extra miles is 12.9c a mile ("36 months" spreadsheet) vs the penalty of 25c a mile for going over mileage - not a huge delta. (Would love to share my Excel for comments but it is not an allowed file type for attachments).

Kind regards,
John / BerkeleyLeaser
Air Touring, glass roof/Cosmos Silver/Tahoe interior
Picked up: 4/21/2023

Welcome, John. I have about 500 miles on my Touring now and the more I drive it, the more I love it. Is it perfect, no. But then, I have yet to have a car that I would say is perfect. I think you'll love your Touring based on how great it drives and looks and that will help you to see past the flaws. Enjoy it!

I’m very happy with my 2.5% APR rate on purchase. I dont think I could take the mental anguish of 7.5%.

Congratulations on the lease though and welcome to the group!
2.5 is nuts! I was quoted 7.x when I took delivery in January '23 😠 Ended up just paying cash.. felt way too bad to pay that much on interest over time

Thanks for the warm welcome, mraschko!

Everyone else - please stop comparing the size of your interest rates! Yes we're all jealous 🤣

😅, you’ll have to give a follow up post when you hit a few milestones and tell us what you think.

I’ve had a few personal road bumps, but a bit of separation anxiety when I don't have my car.

Winner winner, bows in shame and defeat.

Also… hooooooowwww?
It was December 2021. Rates were still low then. BoA offered 2.09%, but because of relationship discounts I was offered 1.54%.

Oops! My first glitch today (t+2 days). Open frunk alert, when trying to move off. But it wasn't open. However, it only took a couple of minutes to fix. The android app could not fix it (gave me the option to close frunk, then spun "the wheel", did nothing) but from within the car I could click to open the frunk, and then the car worked after I closed it again.

(It's a milestone of sorts!)

I love my Lucid Air Grand Touring but after 1100 miles I have to give it up due to health @ 82YO. Sad to not be able to use such a magnificent creation of mechanical and technical genius.
Sorry to hear that, Joseph. Our thoughts are with you in your health journey and I hope those 1100 miles were good ones. Kind regards, John.

I love my Lucid Air Grand Touring but after 1100 miles I have to give it up due to health @ 82YO. Sad to not be able to use such a magnificent creation of mechanical and technical genius.
I wish you the best with your future health.. hopefully the car served you well as the "last dance."

I got so lucky with my 1.54%

I took the money I was saving for an EV and bought LCID in 2020.
sold most of it (Nov. '21)
cleared enough to pay taxes, pay cash for the GT, and keep a few "free shares" of LCID.

luck is my financial strategy

borski ... who's managed to borrow "free money", did a smart thing.

I'm not that smart, but I am incredibly lucky.

I took the money I was saving for an EV and bought LCID in 2020.
sold most of it (Nov. '21)
cleared enough to pay taxes, pay cash for the GT, and keep a few "free shares" of LCID.

luck is my financial strategy

borski ... who's managed to borrow "free money", did a smart thing.

I'm not that smart, but I am incredibly lucky.
I'm not that smart either; just happened to be in the right place at the right time.

My LCID shares are... in the shitter. 😭

but the car is fantastic!

I'm not that smart either; just happened to be in the right place at the right time.

My LCID shares are... in the shitter. 😭

but the car is fantastic!
I've been just buying more, not even looking at the numbers anymore, just averaging about $1k worth of shares per month lol

3 months, 3000 miles, no tears! It's a great car!
PXL_20230711_143319063.jpg

Back