Tips for family road trip ?

blueice89

Cars
Lucid 22”AGT quantum
Do you have a tips for a family road trip in the Lucid? I felt a little anxiety driving such an expensive car up the mountains and very long road trip. I have 3 daughters are young , 3, 6, and 8 I think most my issues were with 3 year old. First she got this stick thing and then started poking my newly tinted glass roof which created some light scratches that luckily a little water and towel wiped off, then she got her water bottle and dumped it all over the seat which is just water so it wipes off. I was a little sad when we got to charger and family seemed bored. Before we used to watch a show on Disney plus while waited for charge. Overall I still haven’t hit full speed of the charger and the charger locations weren’t at like a full food any bathrooms place.
I just wondering what type of tips you could give to a dad of 3 and what’s to road trip with the Lucid?

We have one more one trip planned to San Diego July 4 but right now heavily considering Model Y to take the wear and tear of my family.

I love the Lucid but wanting some advice for long road trips with family.

IMG_8150.jpeg

Maybe bring an iPad and use your phone as a hotspot for Disney+?

I've been across the country and always chose charging times to go for a little walk and explore the area, or check out the local shops, etc...
The 20-30 minutes it takes to charge is plenty bathroom break time for me and by the time I'm done with what I need to do, it's charged and ready to go.

But for entertainment, you could download movies or shows to iPads and what not or use a Hotspot as @DeaneG said to distract the kiddos.

And as you mentioned, I don't exactly know if the Lucid is the best car for kids alone in the back. I'd be paranoid.
Maybe the Model Y is a better car for road trips until your kids grow up some more and you don't have to be anxious?

I don't have kids yet, we're expecting in November. So no experience there.

Ipads are a quick solution, there must be some kind of aftermarket holder..
Also, I think that this opinion will be hated but your Y is probably a better road tripping car if you can deal with the range.
If I were to reccomend you a car to replace the Y with, I would show you the BMW IX. Tablet holders in rear, good legroom/cargo capacity, real world range at about 375(70 mph) and you can watch youtube on the front screen. That is assuming, you can get over the design.(I personally love it)
I would show the lucid gravity, but it is unlikely that will fit your entertainment concerns.

I'm not sure I would have been happy doing road trips in the Air with a few kids in back. The cars we took long trips in weren't this nice, and I didn't care as much if things spilled or had crayon marks. It was back in the age before screens, so iPads weren't an option. I normally do not eat or have open food in my cars, but relaxed that rule when my son was little. So there was always stray cheerios and all kinds of things on the back seat and floor. I'd clean it when I could, but mostly didn't stress out about it for a few years.

I have two kids aged 1 1/2 and 3.

Rules of the road: No snacks (except squeeze things with immediate handoff when done). No drinks (except sippy cups with water). The only toys allowed are wooden, hard plastic, or soft with zero tolerance for banging or kicking of any kind.

When the time comes to charge, everyone gets out of the car. We use the trips to eat, bathroom breaks, and to wander about. Otherwise, you will lose your sanity alongside your kids.

If all the above fails, a quick stop followed by a quick spanking does the trick. Spankings are a last, last resort. Usually I can take off shoes or take a stuffed animal. This usually equates to a war crime with the desired psychological blow on their delicate, savage egos to comply with whatever request. Dolby Atmos works wonders to drown out the screams of anger and rage emitting from the back when things get desperate.

Best of luck. Zero tolerance for damage of any kind goes a long way, especially with a spanking or equivalent psychological tactic.

I have two kids aged 1 1/2 and 3.

Rules of the road: No snacks (except squeeze things with immediate handoff when done). No drinks (except sippy cups with water). The only toys allowed are wooden, hard plastic, or soft with zero tolerance for banging or kicking of any kind.

When the time comes to charge, everyone gets out of the car. We use the trips to eat, bathroom breaks, and to wander about. Otherwise, you will lose your sanity alongside your kids.

If all the above fails, a quick stop followed by a quick spanking does the trick. Spankings are a last, last resort. Usually I can take off shoes or take a stuffed animal. This usually equates to a war crime with the desired psychological blow on their delicate, savage egos to comply with whatever request. Dolby Atmos works wonders to drown out the screams of anger and rage emitting from the back when things get desperate.

Best of luck. Zero tolerance for damage of any kind goes a long way, especially with a spanking or equivalent psychological tactic.
Solid advice and taking notes for the future haha

Maybe a dumb question but can you say more about Dolby Atmos to drown them out. Do you need Tidal to invoke Atmos? I don’t Think I know how to get Atmos to works and drown

Maybe a dumb question but can you say more about Dolby Atmos to drown them out. Do you need Tidal to invoke Atmos? I don’t Think I know how to get Atmos to works and drown
Master quality works as well. The car has phenomenal acoustics. Dolby Atmos is a sound quality and music formatting specification.

A quick search on the forum should give you tracks and methods to find Atmos tracks on Tidal. I find it easier on the phone to make a playlist to then use on trips via selection of said playlist in the car from Tidal app.

These solutions are best deployed when done consistently and early. An established habit is harder to break than forming a new habit. The old adage "Give an inch, they will take a mile" holds particularly true with children. By default, they have no concept of the value of things whether it be cars, houses, toys, etc. and must be taught said value.

A Case Study:
My second youngest sister at the age of 14/15 completely ruined the middle fold down of a new Toyota Avalon (my father's car) of whatever top trim they do in a matter of weeks. This was a fairly nice car by many standards. She thoroughly destroyed an Elantra with cloth seats with no reprimanding because it was the equivalent of the OP's Model Y. Habits carried over with no concept of the value of nice things.

A Second Case Study:
My only younger brother had an older truck given to drive to school and work. Totalled in a matter of months from being drowsy after working and crashed. A good life lesson to never drive when tired, except another truck was provided without consequence a few weeks later. First thing he does when sitting in the Lucid after repeated discussion of the soft close doors is slam the door hard enough to reverberate inside the car. Second time gets in the car does the same thing less hard. He wasn't allowed to ride in the car when I was in town moving forward because he had no concept of the value of earning something. He would sooner damage the door and window then to close it softly.

Of my four siblings, only my youngest oldest sister will ever be given the opportunity to drive the car. Best of luck in your battles to teach your children the value of earned things in whatever form it may: experiential, physical, or otherwise. The road is arduous and long.

It’s just a car. Assuming the kid(s) have a modicum of home training, have fun with them and simply get the car detailed after your road trip.

Speaking as a father of an 18 year old who definitely left some stains and dents in my cars growing up, the memories of how the spot on the carpet that looks like Pangea or how the quarter sized dent in the passenger door happened on an epic road trip far outweigh the annoyance.

It’s just a car. Assuming the kid(s) have a modicum of home training, have fun with them and simply get the car detailed after your road trip.

Speaking as a father of an 18 year old who definitely left some stains and dents in my cars growing up, the memories of how the spot on the carpet that looks like Pangea or how the quarter sized dent in the passenger door happened on an epic road trip far outweigh the annoyance.
True. There is a balance. On the longer road trips, I usually give in to my wife and kids to eat something in the car.

I probably still have some goldfish crumbs in the little holes of the leather. My son spent one trip grabbing and putting them in between his toes before eating them.

On a more fun note, kids get a real kick out of grabbing a stuffed animal and pretending to let it drive with Highway Assist on. Especially the more erratic displays of arms and legs wailing on the stuffed animal at it "holds the steering wheel".

I've had more than a few funny looks going down the road.

We have a long (2800+ miles) road trip to Seattle via Hwy 1 planned for the two weeks after 7/4. The kids are 16 and 11 respectively, so I mostly trust them with snacks and water. There are lots of car-appropriate games available if you want to be interactive with them and have someone adult enough to lead that on the drive. When I need to occupy them with something less involved, we have a selection of audiobooks picked ahead of time to play. Those really make the miles fly by, it’s like story time in the car. If I’m feeling brave, I’ll connect an iPad to the Bluetooth or CarPlay and let them DJ their music for a while. And then there’s the old standby of Slug Bug if you want lots of quiet followed by loud punctuations of yelling, laughing, and maybe crying. 😬

I’ve taken 6 road trips in the Lucid with my wife and 2 year old. There’s one small scratch in the door leather but otherwise no damage. We just download entertainment on an iPad which is better than most fixed rear seat car screens anyway. We just get out while the car charges and get restroom or snacks or whatever, the car is usually already charged enough before we’re ready to get back in. I have zero complaints. You very much need to get this seat cover: Lusso Gear Car Seat Protector for Child Car Seat, Non-Slip Waterproof Car Seat Protector for Leather Seats with Thick Padding and 2 Mesh Storage Pockets, Baby Seat Protectors Under Carseat (Tan) https://a.co/d/0Oc7IJY

You need that seat protector because the car seat will dent the leather and it takes a long time for it to recover its shape. If the kid spills food, that’s what rechargeable battery handheld vacuums are for (I have the Ryobi one). I don’t give the kid any liquids that can stain the car. I also have the 3D Maxpider mats which are super easy to clean and indestructible and look good. And always keep some microfiber cleaning towels and chemical guys leather cleaner (not the liquid leather spray) and paper towels in the lower sub trunk in case of mishaps. I’m just as capable of spilling my coffee as my kid is of spilling her bottle! As for charging location amenities, use PlugShare to find chargers. It lists what’s near each charger so you can plan ahead.

Last edited:
I’ve taken 6 road trips in the Lucid with my wife and 2 year old. There’s one small scratch in the door leather but otherwise no damage. We just download entertainment on an iPad which is better than most fixed rear seat car screens anyway. We just get out while the car charges and get restroom or snacks or whatever, the car is usually already charged enough before we’re ready to get back in. I have zero complaints. You very much need to get this seat cover: Lusso Gear Car Seat Protector for Child Car Seat, Non-Slip Waterproof Car Seat Protector for Leather Seats with Thick Padding and 2 Mesh Storage Pockets, Baby Seat Protectors Under Carseat (Tan) https://a.co/d/0Oc7IJY

You need that seat protector because the car seat will dent the leather and it takes a long time for it to recover its shape. If the kid spills food, that’s what rechargeable battery handheld vacuums are for (I have the Ryobi one). I don’t give the kid any liquids that can stain the car. I also have the 3D Maxpider mats which are super easy to clean and indestructible and look good. And always keep some microfiber cleaning towels and chemical guys leather cleaner (not the liquid leather spray) and paper towels in the lower sub trunk in case of mishaps. I’m just as capable of spilling my coffee as my kid is of spilling her bottle! As for charging location amenities, use PlugShare to find chargers. It lists what’s near each charger so you can plan ahead.
You can use interior detailer on the leather seats right? There's one that's basically all material, seems soft chemical wise and not very strong, like a mild detergent.

You can use interior detailer on the leather seats right? There's one that's basically all material, seems soft chemical wise and not very strong, like a mild detergent.
Lucid recommends only using a water dampened cloth, but I’ve had zero issues with the chemical guys leather cleaner, I think it’s pretty mild. A water dampened cloth doesn’t do a good job of getting smudge marks from shoes that bump the door interior, whereas it comes off quick with the chemical guys one.

Back