Test drove the Air

evdriver

Cars
Tesla Model X, Model 3
Morning. New member here!

Been driving Teslas for 8 years and have purchased 3. First was a P85D which I traded in 6 years ago for an X. I still own it today and along the way, we traded my wife’s Lexus for a Model 3 Performance. Had discarded Lucid as a future option first time I heard of it. Look didn’t catch my eye and I was frankly overall happy with Tesla driving dynamics.

A few weeks ago, I was in Vancouver on a business trip and a colleague mentioned he had stopped by the Lucid Studio and was quite impressed. Didn’t think we had a studio here in Montreal so wanted to drop by as well but ran out of time. Flew back home and the thought of needing to take a second look at Lucid lingered.

Checked out the web site and realized it’s 500+ miles of range? What? (I know, their claim to fame but to my defence I just skipped Lucid news as I had discarded it as an option for me.) Watched quite a bit of YouTube and the look grew on me. And of course, it confirmed my Tesla interiors were a let down. I then searched to see when Lucid would open a studio here and surprise, they just did!

So, I booked a test drive. Was quite impressed. Went in a second time to take another look at the car. At that point, they kindly offered me to do another, longer test drive. I thought I’d share my impressions and how they align with I had read and heard before getting behind the wheels of one.

-OUTSIDE: This car looks much better in person. Photos and videos don’t do it justice. I first discounted the nose/grill as odd online but it’s not at all. It’s probably the most successful front end since cars no longer require air flow there. Car’s got presence and a unique look IMO.

-INSIDE: Probably the part I love the most. It’s classy but not stuffy. Feels like a modern take on luxury cars. Tried the EQS right after the Air and while it‘s got a gorgeous, plush inside, it felt older.

-SCREENS: After all the negative comments, I was expecting bad UI ergonomics and sluggish response. I imagine the bulk of these comments came mostly from early firmware iterations because my feeling is different. Sure Tesla offers more options on its screens but their experience is more akin to using an iPad. Do anything you want. I feel like Lucid’s UI is simpler and more purpose built. Less stuff fights for your attention or gets in the way. And the screens feel more seamlessly integrated into their environment.

-COLORS: No good or bad answer here. It’s personal of course. Two tone was another turn off for me initially. Now that I’ve seen a few vehicles, I find the two tone looks really good on light bodied cars or on dark bodied cars with the stealth option. As for interior colors, I love them all. Been going back and forth non stop on what I’d pick.

-DRIVING: So I drove an Air GT Range twice. Less bouncy than my X, not as harsh as my 3 obviously but also the S (both my old P85D and the Raven model I recently test drove). So the ride seems like a good balance of sport and road comfort. The acceleration felt stronger than the non performance Teslas although the 0-60 is roughly the same. It had a more of an initial kick, which I like. Is it because the rear motors are more powerful? Either way, quite pleasant.

I was debating upgrading my X to an S or the EQS. The EQS is now out of the running for looks and range. It’s now been replaced by the Air, which is at the top of my list.

Will continue mulling it over the next few days but thanks to all on this forum. The information is quite helpful to make a decision.

You make some very keen observations, so credit to you, especially coming from someone with a wealth of EV experience. I might also add a few points here to consider...

• Interior Space - the space is incredible and simply non-comparable to Tesla. The back seat is so spacious and luxurious (without being stuffy as you mentioned) that my family joking fights over who gets to sit in the back. They call it "First Class" back there.
  • The Lucid marries performance, efficiency, and comfort in a way I've not seen in any other vehicle. 0-60 like a race car, Rated 425 - 516 Range depending on trim which is unmatched, and first class comfort for all passengers not just the driver.
  • Fast charging - the Lucid can charge at extremely high throughput and has a Home Charger that can deliver top notch Level 2 charging speeds (80amps delivered)
I put in my reservation in 2021 after test driving a Tesla, which I was dead set on buying - prior to the test drive. I wanted something beyond an iPad for UI, and more space and range. Back when I ordered, I couldn't even test drive as there were no vehicles to do so. To your point, when I did test drive, a year later and two weeks prior to delivery, I was blown away. In my mind I was buying the longest range and purpose build UI as you mentioned EV. I literally had no idea how advanced this vehicle was, and couldn't believe how awesome it felt to drive! I've had mine since 12/31/2022 and everyday I find something else about this Lucid that impresses me more.

Continue to take your own advice and test drive more, and get more familiar with the vehicle. You'll have a hard time stopping thinking about it.

Good luck.

Been driving Teslas for 8 years and have purchased 3. First was a P85D which I traded in 6 years ago for an X. I still own it today and along the way, we traded my wife’s Lexus for a Model 3 Performance. Had discarded Lucid as a future option first time I heard of it. Look didn’t catch my eye and I was frankly overall happy with Tesla driving dynamics.

A few weeks ago, I was in Vancouver on a business trip and a colleague mentioned he had stopped by the Lucid Studio and was quite impressed. Didn’t think we had a studio here in Montreal so wanted to drop by as well but ran out of time. Flew back home and the thought of needing to take a second look at Lucid lingered.

Checked out the web site and realized it’s 500+ miles of range? What? (I know, their claim to fame but to my defence I just skipped Lucid news as I had discarded it as an option for me.) Watched quite a bit of YouTube and the look grew on me. And of course, it confirmed my Tesla interiors were a let down. I then searched to see when Lucid would open a studio here and surprise, they just did!

So, I booked a test drive. Was quite impressed. Went in a second time to take another look at the car. At that point, they kindly offered me to do another, longer test drive. I thought I’d share my impressions and how they align with I had read and heard before getting behind the wheels of one.

-OUTSIDE: This car looks much better in person. Photos and videos don’t do it justice. I first discounted the nose/grill as odd online but it’s not at all. It’s probably the most successful front end since cars no longer require air flow there. Car’s got presence and a unique look IMO.

-INSIDE: Probably the part I love the most. It’s classy but not stuffy. Feels like a modern take on luxury cars. Tried the EQS right after the Air and while it‘s got a gorgeous, plush inside, it felt older.

-SCREENS: After all the negative comments, I was expecting bad UI ergonomics and sluggish response. I imagine the bulk of these comments came mostly from early firmware iterations because my feeling is different. Sure Tesla offers more options on its screens but their experience is more akin to using an iPad. Do anything you want. I feel like Lucid’s UI is simpler and more purpose built. Less stuff fights for your attention or gets in the way. And the screens feel more seamlessly integrated into their environment.

-COLORS: No good or bad answer here. It’s personal of course. Two tone was another turn off for me initially. Now that I’ve seen a few vehicles, I find the two tone looks really good on light bodied cars or on dark bodied cars with the stealth option. As for interior colors, I love them all. Been going back and forth non stop on what I’d pick.

-DRIVING: So I drove an Air GT Range twice. Less bouncy than my X, not as harsh as my 3 obviously but also the S (both my old P85D and the Raven model I recently test drove). So the ride seems like a good balance of sport and road comfort. The acceleration felt stronger than the non performance Teslas although the 0-60 is roughly the same. It had a more of an initial kick, which I like. Is it because the rear motors are more powerful? Either way, quite pleasant.

I was debating upgrading my X to an S or the EQS. The EQS is now out of the running for looks and range. It’s now been replaced by the Air, which is at the top of my list.

Will continue mulling it over the next few days but thanks to all on this forum. The information is quite helpful to make a decision.
I've been saying to anyone who will listen that the front of the Air is the best-design in an EV ever. Even most ICE cars look completely ugly from the front nowadays. But EVs have long struggled with how to handle this area of the car. And Lucid just nailed it. The new Tesla Roadster (hope it ships eventually) might be the only EV I've seen that can compete on the front end design.

• Fast charging - the Lucid can charge at extremely high throughput and has a Home Charger that can deliver top notch Level 2 charging speeds (80amps delivered.

That's a good point. I have a Tesla HPWC which I thought was tops. I looked at the Lucid model after my test drive and was quite surprised about the 80 miles per hour. And I actually have the set up to fully utilize it, i.e. a dedicated 100A panel just for EV charging.

I just test drove the Air “Pure” and “Grand Touring”; the “Touring” wasn’t available.

I liked overall, even successfully test fitted my road bike. The 2 things I was surprised is the lack of a proper sentry mode, as well as not having the rear and side cameras on while driving. These are software features they must add with ota.

The simplistic user interface is welcome, where you wouldn’t get lost or not find something on deep sub-menus and toggles.

The backup camera is very nice; trunk space, with exception of the short opening, and frunk space. I almost hit my head while entering the car, just a matter of getting used to. The navigation froze when searching for charging stations though; software glitch? I dunno.

The fit and finish is on par with the price range. Not much else to say really, nice car overall, but the 2 aforementioned items.

I owned a Model S and now an Air Touring model. Let me tell you, the ride and handling of tHE Air is phenomenal. Lucid made the BMW M5 of EV's! I found the EQS to be boat like. The Tesla quality and handling doesnt compare.

Still few software bugs but they are improving. The hardware is spot on!! Best car I ever bought period!!

I just test drove the Air “Pure” and “Grand Touring”; the “Touring” wasn’t available.

I liked overall, even successfully test fitted my road bike. The 2 things I was surprised is the lack of a proper sentry mode, as well as not having the rear and side cameras on while driving. These are software features they must add with ota.

The simplistic user interface is welcome, where you wouldn’t get lost or not find something on deep sub-menus and toggles.

The backup camera is very nice; trunk space, with exception of the short opening, and frunk space. I almost hit my head while entering the car, just a matter of getting used to. The navigation froze when searching for charging stations though; software glitch? I dunno.

The fit and finish is on par with the price range. Not much else to say really, nice car overall, but the 2 aforementioned items.
The sentry mode would be nice, but how many people actually want/need the rear and side cameras on while driving? Personally I’d find that almost dizzying. I think the front & Birds Eye camera views are already on too long while moving forward . The important time for side cameras to be on is when changing lanes and that ability already exists.

I had a 2017 MS and the Lucid is a superior car in almost every way.

Back