Tesla Model S/X sales crashing

michel

Cars
Reserved a Pure

Electrek had to reverse engineer the numbers by looking at the Cybertruck recall numbers (thank goodness for that 😉) as Tesla intentionally combined all the sales into "3/Y" and "others" buckets.

Looks down 30% while Lucid deliveries are up, which I like to think are related 😎

I looked at a model s before leasing my GTA. Wasn’t really impressed with the fit and finish of Tesla, but that was to be expected. Still very happy I went with the lucid!

I have several friends with Teslas. Most are happy. However, the ones that are less than glowing seem to have one commonality - they needed service. One was so exasperated, he sold his nearly new car and vowed never to buy a Tesla again!

There are now many more good EV choices now, so the market is very competetive. Combine that with the anti-EV sentiment that is being whipped up, it is not surprising that the sales for the established EV maker might dip. I think this is a temporary situation in the US, but world sales for Tesla will be eroded by Chinese EVs and "premium" brand EVs.

Looks down 30% while Lucid deliveries are up, which I like to think are related.

I think these two trends suggest that the main drag on Lucid's sales have been its price points, not things related to the Air's performance or design. I think this is corroborated by the fact that the Air outsells two similarly-priced EV sedans -- the MB EQS and the Porsche Taycan -- in the U.S. despite their vastly more established reputations and service network.

In the vast ocean of commentary on internet articles and videos, once you winnow out the obvious Tesla fanboys, price is far and away the factor that most commenters give for not considering the brand.

GT owner….. and price does play huge part and the incredible driving dynamics of the air at its current pricing points.
However
Tesla stock is up over $120 share in the last three months. Just sayin’ as a bag holder of both.

Last edited:
Reactions: DBV
Yeah, I own some TSLA too. Happy but maybe you can explain what has happened in the last 3 months to justify except that Elon will stay on as CEO at the cost of 56B? I really don't understand this stock...

Tesla stock is up over $120 share in the last three months. Just sayin’ as a bag holder of both.

Lucid went public three years ago this month. It took Tesla almost three years (34 months) after going public for its stock price to reach Lucid's current price -- at a time when there was almost no serious EV competition.

Comparing Tesla's stock price sixteen years after it put its first car on the market to Lucid's stock price less than three years after its first sales is really rather pointless and says absolutely nothing about the comparative merits of the cars themselves . . . or even about the long-term prospects of either company.

Lucid went public three years ago this month. It took Tesla almost three years (34 months) after going public for its stock price to reach Lucid's current price -- at a time when there was almost no serious EV competition.

Comparing Tesla's stock price sixteen years after it put its first car on the market to Lucid's stock price less than three years after its first sales is really rather pointless and says absolutely nothing about the comparative merits of the cars themselves . . . or even about the long-term prospects of either company.
I’m actually quite happy with my lucid stock position purchases bought it as a SPAC and turned the profit during the run up.I bought it again in qty around $3.50. Haven’t bought or sold any TSLA since 2014. Hence a bag holder of both. I like both companies LONG

Last edited:

I'm not sure the point was to compare the respective stock prices, at least that's not what I got from it. It was the fact that sales had dipped on the S/X (not to mention the debacle that was the cybertruck), and yet the stock went up 50% in the last 3 months. 🤷‍♂️

I'm not sure the point was to compare the respective stock prices, at least that's not what I got from it. It was the fact that sales had dipped on the S/X (not to mention the debacle that was the cybertruck), and yet the stock went up 50% in the last 3 months. 🤷‍♂️
Yeah... I get that S and X are not Tesla's bread and butter, but as someone who likes performance sedans (though Model S is too big for me) it makes me less impressed that Tesla doesn't seem to be able to keep several product lines developed concurrently (or develop brand new ones properly)

I think it was in a recent interview where Elon said the S/X are really just around for nostalgia because they’re not their moneymakers. The models are looking dated and they probably should have changed the exterior when they did the interior refresh but opted not to. Maybe they figured it wasn’t worth it when the 3/Y are the big moneymakers for them these days.

As others mentioned here. Tesla will face a price war on the Model 3, Y from many newcomers from China. Model S, X have plenty of competition already and Musk did not help himself by opening up his chargers to all and lost his only real advantage. So, I expect Tesla PE to be no more than Apple or Microsoft

I think it was in a recent interview where Elon said the S/X are really just around for nostalgia because they’re not their moneymakers. The models are looking dated and they probably should have changed the exterior when they did the interior refresh but opted not to. Maybe they figured it wasn’t worth it when the 3/Y are the big moneymakers for them these days.
They even stopped making a RHD model S so if you buy it in countries like the UK you end up sitting on the wrong side

Had a refreshed '22 Model S. Terrible suspension...bumpy and jittery. Felt like a $40k car marked up due to lack of competition.

As others mentioned here. Tesla will face a price war on the Model 3, Y from many newcomers from China. Model S, X have plenty of competition already and Musk did not help himself by opening up his chargers to all and lost his only real advantage. So, I expect Tesla PE to be no more than Apple or Microsoft
What is more profitable? Building cars or providing charging stops for all the EVs on the road? Musk knows what he is doing.

What is more profitable? Building cars or providing charging stops for all the EVs on the road? Musk knows what he is doing.
Agreed. Tesla is not much of a “true” car company right now, and that is just fine by me.

I thought they were extremely profitable when they had list prices in 120K?

There are now many more good EV choices now, so the market is very competetive. Combine that with the anti-EV sentiment that is being whipped up, it is not surprising that the sales for the established EV maker might dip. I think this is a temporary situation in the US, but world sales for Tesla will be eroded by Chinese EVs and "premium" brand EVs.
That’s why Musk started pushing the “ Tesla is an AI company “ nonsense….his master plan said 20 million sales by 2030, load of hogwash. In a few years this people will realize this AI nonsense is more hogwash and then he will pivot to something else- maybe he travelled from the future to run Tesla to save mankind or something on those lines

Yeah, the smart guy just opened up his whole charging network and fired his whole supercharger team, yeah , very smart CEO , this is all going according to his plan

Back