Tesla J1772 Wall Connector

My old Tesla Gen 2 HPWC was capable of being installed on a 100 amp circuit and cost about $500. Tesla has always priced their EVSEs extremely competitively. Interesting to note that for Gen 3 of the same unit, they dropped back to 60-amp max circuit capability.
Tesla priced EVSE low to grab market share and adoption. Once they got the market share, cut cost to maximize margin. This is the same as early adopter gets lifetime free supercharging.

How many years ago was that?
I bought my Gen 2 HPWC in 2018. I think it was in production at the same price through most of 2020 until Gen 3 became available.

I have the $749 ChargePoint Home Flex w/ a 23ft cable (w/ a connector which feels solid) - hardwired on a 60A breaker (=48A draw); which I've found to be plenty for home/overnight charging.

The app does allow scheduling and is fairly intuitive (not to mention useful if need to charge at a ChargePoint charger)

I have the $749 ChargePoint Home Flex w/ a 23ft cable (w/ a connector which feels solid) - hardwired on a 60A breaker (=48A draw); which I've found to be plenty for home/overnight charging.

The app does allow scheduling and is fairly intuitive (not to mention useful if need to charge at a ChargePoint charger)
That's what we have for our other EV and are very happy with it.

Where is your ChargePoint mounted in your garage relative to how you park? I was concerned that 23' cable would be tight if EVSE is mounted on the garage wall on the passenger side by the rear of the car if you drive straight into the garage.

Where is your ChargePoint mounted in your garage relative to how you park? I was concerned that 23' cable would be tight if EVSE is mounted on the garage wall on the passenger side by the rear of the car if you drive straight into the garage.
I pull into my garage, so I positioned it in the front (near center) .. Now, I can park the Lucid in either spot and the cable reaches w/o a problem.

IMG_4396.jpeg

If this had come out a couple of weeks sooner I would have jumped on it instead of the Jukebox. I'm happy with the jukebox, but I suspect I could have load-shared the Tesla charger with a Tesla Gen 3 charger and better taken advantage of the 100 amp circuit. When I got the jukebox I just converted it to 2 50 amp circuits (with 40 amp chargers).

I have this exact setup installed in my garage for my Touring. The Chargepoint Home Flex is a part of Xcel's Accelerate at Home EV Charging program (cheap charging between 12AM and 6AM.

I'm having a problem with the charger not charging reliably, which from my understanding may have something to do with the Lucid going to sleep and not waking up at midnight when the Chargepoint initiates the charge. Do you charge overnight and have you had issues with the lucid not waking up? Do you specifically schedule the car to charge overnight? My charger installer said to not mess with any scheduling from the car because it just messes up communication with the charger. This is the second night that the Lucid has failed to charge so I want to find what works best for our vehicles.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2023-04-15-10-01-45-09_ba78a3778c1e14452b69c97affd6d803.jpg
    Screenshot_2023-04-15-10-01-45-09_ba78a3778c1e14452b69c97affd6d803.jpg
    585.9 KB · Views: 57
I have this exact setup installed in my garage for my Touring. The Chargepoint Home Flex is a part of Xcel's Accelerate at Home EV Charging program (cheap charging between 12AM and 6AM.

I'm having a problem with the charger not charging reliably, which from my understanding may have something to do with the Lucid going to sleep and not waking up at midnight when the Chargepoint initiates the charge. Do you charge overnight and have you had issues with the lucid not waking up? Do you specifically schedule the car to charge overnight? My charger installer said to not mess with any scheduling from the car because it just messes up communication with the charger. This is the second night that the Lucid has failed to charge so I want to find what works best for our vehicles.
It is better to use the schedule feature on the car and remove the schedule from your Chargepoint Flex.

It is better to use the schedule feature on the car and remove the schedule from your Chargepoint Flex.
Are you using the same program through Xcel? The last thing I want is for the charger to accidentally charge during peak hours if I remove the scheduling in the Chargepoint app.

Are you using the same program through Xcel? The last thing I want is for the charger to accidentally charge during peak hours if I remove the scheduling in the Chargepoint app.
I am using a Chargepoint Flex but I get power from APS in Arizona. I am on a time of use plan but the off peak hour are 7PM to 4PM. In the winter we have a super off peak from 10:00 AM to 3:00 PM and I used the car's schedule feature to charge during this time.

So scheduling within the vehicle allows the car to ensure it wakes up for a charge? Makes sense even I was told only go through the charger.

Honestly, I've never scheduled a Charge (we don't have varying rates here). I'll have to try it. I usually plug it in and let it charge overnight. When I go to the garage, the car is charged and the charger is fine.

Yes, you cannot use the charger’s schedule. Must schedule in the car which is less than optimal since the scheduled charging on the car is not Flexible.

All the "scheduled charging" button on the Lucid does it just wake up the car at that time.

So when it does wake up, you have to ensure that your charger is continuously trying to give charge so when the vehicle wakes up to accept the charge, there's proper handshake and charging is initiated.

I have TOU so I have it set to charge between 8 pm and 8 AM.
And my Lucid is scheduled to wake up at 4 am.
It wakes up, the charger is within acceptable time frame. And it initiates the charge. No issues yet.

Back