Switching Wheel Size?

jlc

New Member

Joined
Sep 5, 2025
Messages
5
Reaction score
0
Location
Ewing, NJ
I'm considering a used Air and often find that the cars that interest me the most have the 20" or 21" wheels. My preference would be for the 19" wheels for the greater range, lower tire price, and lower chance of rim damage. Can I swap out the larger wheels for smaller easily? (I'm assuming as with my current Tesla MS, the car would need to be reprogrammed - is this something I could do or does it require a SC visit?)

Any chance I might find someone on this forum who would be interested in a wheel swap?

Jeff
 
I'm considering a used Air and often find that the cars that interest me the most have the 20" or 21" wheels. My preference would be for the 19" wheels for the greater range, lower tire price, and lower chance of rim damage. Can I swap out the larger wheels for smaller easily? (I'm assuming as with my current Tesla MS, the car would need to be reprogrammed - is this something I could do or does it require a SC visit?)

Any chance I might find someone on this forum who would be interested in a wheel swap?

Jeff
Are we the same person?

No… I never had a Tesla. WHEW! But I’m doing the same thing you are.
 
  • Like
Reactions: jlc
Your Tesla doesn’t need any reprogramming - you can change it right in the service menu with no service center visit needed. It reboots the car when you swap wheel sizes - that’s it.
 
I'm considering a used Air and often find that the cars that interest me the most have the 20" or 21" wheels. My preference would be for the 19" wheels for the greater range, lower tire price, and lower chance of rim damage. Can I swap out the larger wheels for smaller easily? (I'm assuming as with my current Tesla MS, the car would need to be reprogrammed - is this something I could do or does it require a SC visit?)

Any chance I might find someone on this forum who would be interested in a wheel swap?

Jeff
You can swap them trivially, by just taking off and replacing the wheels/tires. There is a setting in the UI inside the car to specify which size wheels are on the car.

Keep in mind that if you have a DE, for example, it will only have the options for 19" and 21", as 20" weren't available for the DE. I'm sure you can put them on, but you may need service to adjust or whatever if you have 20s on a DE, as I don't think they're allowed to let you self-service for a wheel size that it was never tested for / delivered with?

I made that last part up, but my DE definitely only gives me the 19 and 21 options.

Other vehicles offer all 3.
 
  • Like
Reactions: jlc
Back
Top