Summer tires in the winter

SBD1500

Active Member

Verified Owner
Joined
May 29, 2023
Messages
175
Reaction score
63
Cars
2023 Lucid Air Pure
Air DE Number
0
Referral Code
91B5SVKZ
Has anyone used the 20 inch Summer tires all winter? I'm wondering if I can get away with them in Seattle area. I know they are not recommended during colder weather. Just wondering if anyone didn't change them for the winter. If I absolutely must, I will swapped them out and purchase all season tires.
 
Has anyone used the 20 inch Summer tires all winter? I'm wondering if I can get away with them in Seattle area. I know they are not recommended during colder weather. Just wondering if anyone didn't change them for the winter. If I absolutely must, I will swapped them out and purchase all season tires.
Summer tires are not recommended for t < 45F.
Micro cracks can develop and blow out may ensue.
 
Has anyone used the 20 inch Summer tires all winter? I'm wondering if I can get away with them in Seattle area. I know they are not recommended during colder weather. Just wondering if anyone didn't change them for the winter. If I absolutely must, I will swapped them out and purchase all season tires.
The Hankooks on the 20/21" wheels on Gravity are A/S (as are the Michelins on the 21/22's) but the 22/23's are Pzero Summer tires
Summer tires on cold wet roads are a dangerous combination IMO
 
As @EVCar mentioned, the rubber compound used in summer tires becomes glassy below 45F. They may be permanently damaged by driving below this temperature.
You'll also notice a potentially dangerous loss of traction.
 
Has anyone used the 20 inch Summer tires all winter? I'm wondering if I can get away with them in Seattle area. I know they are not recommended during colder weather. Just wondering if anyone didn't change them for the winter. If I absolutely must, I will swapped them out and purchase all season tires.
Awful idea. Probably want to outfit with some winter tires or invest in a hooptie to drive in the winter. I've been doing this for years.
 
A quick check reveals that Seattle winters definitely do get cold enough to be a problem with summer tires.
 
Back
Top