State of Charge video on Lucid Motors

All true. And last year in the US Mercedes sold more than 40,000 EVs, Lucid just more than 6,000.

I wrote originally as a devil’s advocate in response to a puff piece on Rawlinson and the new factory.

Again let me write, “I am a new owner and love my car. It is clearly superior to any competitor now on the market. Everyone I have encountered in person or by phone at Lucid has been superior. “
Okay. Mercedes actually sold about 4,500 EQS Sedan EVs in the US, which is the car that actually competes in Lucid’s price range and model type. Not exactly blowing the doors off Lucid by comparison.

All true. And last year in the US Mercedes sold more than 40,000 EVs, Lucid just more than 6,000.

Mercedes built its first car in 1886. It introduced its first hybrid car in 1906. It introduced its first all-electric vehicle in 1969 (a delivery van). It introduced the B-Class all-electric drivetrain in its first production car in 2012. It currently has the EQC, EQV, EQA, EQS (sedan and SUV), EQE (sedan and SUV). and EQG (SUV) on the market.

Lucid sold its first car in October 2021 and is yet to reach market with its second model.

With eight Mercedes EV models on the market around the world compared to Lucid's one in the U.S., Mercedes sold less than 7 times as many EVs as Lucid, despite covering many more vehicle categories and price points.

So, what's your point?

I wrote originally as a devil’s advocate in response to a puff piece on Rawlinson and the new factory.

Tom Moloughney is one of the most serious reporters of EV and charging infrastructure developments in the business. How is his reporting on a quadrupling of Lucid production capacity and the reasoning behind it a "puff piece"?

After looking at my above post after a night's sleep, I realize it might seem a bit harsh, but it's too late to edit it.

However, I'm perplexed by the tenor of your initial posts after joining the forum and saying you own a Lucid. You have questioned whether Lucid can weather the advent of solid state batteries, as if it would not adopt them, too. You have questioned whether Lucid can survive without a dealer network, even though Tesla has had stunning success with that sales model -- one that is being followed successfully by Rivian, too. You seem to think that comparing Mercedes sales of eight EV models on a global basis is relevant to Lucid sales of one model in one country (and a country that has lower EV adoption rates than in some other countries where Mercedes sells EVs). And you think that an interview of Peter Rawlinson by a responsible auto journalist covering a major factory expansion is a puff piece.

This forum offers the opportunity to be certified as a verified Lucid owner. Would you consider contacting one of the forum administrators to obtain that certification?

I agree with the three replies that have been sent to now. However, none answered the question as to how Lucid should be expect to fare against the then prevailing competition. So, let me rephrase:
In the next few years when solid-state batteries are available to all manufacturers, won’t they all have the ability to produce vehicles that offer appropriate range for every day use around town and for long-distance driving? Additionally, and importantly, they have dealer networks around the country that make service visits immediately available and convenient. No need to wait for a truck. The dealers also offer the opportunity to trade in a car. Lucid will likely offer luxury models, SUV and entry level cars. Companies like GM, BMW and Mercedes will offer models in most, if not all, all market segments.

Last year against today’s competition with a clear technological head-start Lucid sold just more than 6,000 cars.

So . . . ?
Solid state batteries won’t start for another 5 years at least. They will be very expensive and only offered on most expensive models- $150k plus at least. There won’t be enough solid state batteries. By the time solid state batteries replace what’s here today on a massive scale, it will be 15-20 years. By then Lucid will develope their own tech to use solid state. They can easily enter into a partnership with a solid state battery manufacturers. Tech is decades away. Don’t believe the hype put out by Toyota. They needed that news cycle to cover up their miscalculation in not investing in EV’s.
imagine a Lucid with solid state- they will still be ahead of anyone else!

I agree with the three replies that have been sent to now. However, none answered the question as to how Lucid should be expect to fare against the then prevailing competition. So, let me rephrase:
In the next few years when solid-state batteries are available to all manufacturers, won’t they all have the ability to produce vehicles that offer appropriate range for every day use around town and for long-distance driving? Additionally, and importantly, they have dealer networks around the country that make service visits immediately available and convenient. No need to wait for a truck. The dealers also offer the opportunity to trade in a car. Lucid will likely offer luxury models, SUV and entry level cars. Companies like GM, BMW and Mercedes will offer models in most, if not all, all market segments.

Last year against today’s competition with a clear technological head-start Lucid sold just more than 6,000 cars.

So . . . ?
Regarding dealerships, I hate dealing with them. And majority of population would rather not buy from a dealership if given the option. I dreaded buying a EQS for my wife so decided on probably getting another Lucid.

Lucid almost sold as many cars as Porsche did with the Taycan- and that too with all those Porsche dealerships and brand name. I would say that is a great achievement.

Back