Spotify versus Apple Music Sound Quality

Open the Tidal App on your phone, go to the Home screen, scroll down to find the Dolby Atmos option. It offers a ton of playlists, including new arrivals. That's the fastest way that I know of to get access to the most content. Alternatively, from the car itself, you can search for 'dolby atmos' simply because it features in the title of a number of the playlists. The in-car search can be hit and miss, though, if you know there's an album in both formats out there, it can be challenging to specifically target the atmos version when it's not included in the title.

I concur, Atmos offers a substantial step up in many instances. It comes down to the decisions of the mixing engineer as to what you ultimately hear, though. I notice that one of the most immersive effects are when echoes or atmospheric sounds are placed towards the back while the vocals are mostly from the front. Basic stuff, but it really gets your attention and just "sounds better" to my simple ear. That said, not every Atmos recording is going to have you sitting in awe. There have been a few where I haven't heard a peep from the back and the isolation of channels doesn't sound any different. In those cases, I genuinely don't know what they've done over and above the normal stereo mix.

Totally agree, Atmos can sound incredible when it’s done right, but it’s definitely hit or miss depending on the mix. Some engineers really take advantage of that 3D space, while others seem to just label it “Atmos” without much difference from stereo. I’ve noticed that ambient tracks or live performances usually showcase the effect best. And yeah, the Tidal app’s Atmos section is the easiest way to explore it, though it’d be nice if the in-car search got a bit smarter.
 
Wireless CarPlay uses WiFi, not Bluetooth. But you are right; wired CarPlay is better for sound. Just not better enough for most “normie” people to bother.

Straight up Bluetooth streaming is the worst.

Then CarPlay / Android Auto wireless. (This is where most people decide it’s good enough.)

Then wired. Or a native high-quality streaming.

Then high-quality on a USB stick.

Then native Atmos, via Tidal.

I want more options for surround sound myself. Spatial Audio over CarPlay is now possible. But Lucid would need to enable it.

A native Apple Music app would also be a great option for Spatial Audio.

If someone came up with a service where I could purchase mainstream music that was native Atmos, download it to a stick, and play natively in the car, that would be the dream.

No one will, though, because they’d have me and five other people as customers.
Thanks, really interesting breakdown.
 
Back
Top