Some new things I’ve noticed with charging

LucidPez

Verified Owner
Cars
'23 Lucid Air GT
Referral Code
QRLDUSC5
Looks like Lucid will now tell you if you’re not fully preconditioned when you charge by noting this message. It vanished when I finally got to around this speed in my curve

Likewise this is different than any other message such as the charging station throttling me. Is this new? Even has handy info links which is good for new EV users. Had an EQS owner who literally asked me about charging during this exact charging session. He could have used a guide like this!
IMG_8421.jpeg

Separately I’ve also notice my Air Grand Touring no longer charges to 516 miles on 19” wheels at 100%. It instead charges to about 500. So sounds like they have the updated EPA figures in our cars now or something. My car only has 750 miles on it. Charged before to 100% prior and it was at 516 miles and when I got it new it was 516 miles

Attachments

• IMG_8420.jpeg
    IMG_8420.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 59
I saw that message too, but haven't clicked on it yet.
There will be some battery degradation with time, not only with miles. It's typical for all EVs - a property of lithium-ion battery chemistry rather than that of a specific car brand.

I saw that message too, but haven't clicked on it yet.
There will be some battery degradation with time, not only with miles. It's typical for all EVs - a property of lithium-ion battery chemistry rather than that of a specific car brand.
16 miles in 1-2 charges? Also thought it didn’t matter and Lucid always displayed the EPA mileage at 100% and why many on the forums have reverted to using % on their meters instead of miles. I think Bobby mentioned this as well.

Looks like Lucid will now tell you if you’re not fully preconditioned when you charge by noting this message. It vanished when I finally got to around this speed in my curve

Likewise this is different than any other message such as the charging station throttling me. Is this new? Even has handy info links which is good for new EV users. Had an EQS owner who literally asked me about charging during this exact charging session. He could have used a guide like this!
View attachment 19528

Separately I’ve also notice my Air Grand Touring no longer charges to 516 miles on 19” wheels at 100%. It instead charges to about 500. So sounds like they have the updated EPA figures in our cars now or something. My car only has 750 miles on it. Charged before to 100% prior and it was at 516 miles and when I got it new it was 516 miles
Thank you for sharing. I just sent you a DM.

16 miles in 1-2 charges? Also thought it didn’t matter and Lucid always displayed the EPA mileage at 100% and why many on the forums have reverted to using % on their meters instead of miles. I think Bobby mentioned this as well.
It appears to use the EPA rated efficiency (mi/kWh) times your measured/estimated battery capacity. It's not just the EPA range number. The reason people use percent instead is because EPA rated efficiency does not correspond with actual everyday driving efficiency.

It appears to use the EPA rated efficiency (mi/kWh) times your measured/estimated battery capacity. It's not just the EPA range number. The reason people use percent instead is because EPA rated efficiency does not correspond with actual everyday driving efficiency.
Hmm crazy. I was in a 16k mile loaner with 516 showing at 100% 😭

View attachment 19528

View attachment 19528

I seldom charge to 100% as it tends to degrade the batteries a bit quicker. However, I did so recently after owning my AGT for 1.5 years and a bit over 20,000 miles. It charged up to 515 miles. Pretty remarkable. I have been doing extensive research into EV batteries for a speech I will be giving next month on the subject. I have learned a lot with the most significant aspect being to charge at home, more or less each night, generally keeping the SOC range between 75% to 45%. By doing so, the batteries will have minimum degradation over their lifespan. Also, in practice, DC Fast Charging does not damage the batteries very much thanks to the battery management system. However, preconditioning the batteries is a great thing to do when the temperatures are below +/- 50 degrees or above +/- 90 degrees.

EV battery chemistry is very complex, varied, and dynamic with a lot of research and development ongoing. Plus, there is a lot of misinformation being put out on the Internet so one much carefully vet each article before believing the basic messages it contains. Do not believe everything you read.
1711730268868.png

Yeah, I’m thinking my car may have an odd issue but we shall see. Shoutout to Lucid for reaching out after this thread!

I thought it was an update or feature but it actually may be an issue! haha

The car has 805 miles on it and already has a 3%+ degradation so that seems kinda off.

• Wow
Reactions: DJL
...The car has 805 miles on it and already has a 3%+ degradation so that seems kinda off.
When was your car manufactured though? This is printed on a label on the driver's door jamb.

5% battery capacity loss in the first calendar year since the car was built is perfectly normal for any EV. "Calendar Loss" happens even if you don't drive your car at all. It's a function of the state of charge you leave your car at, ambient temperature, and battery chemistry.

The rate of battery capacity loss with time declines as the car gets older, so you'll lose less per year after the first year due to calendar aging.

Sure totally understand battery age. Isn’t my first rodeo with an EV. I’ve owned 4. But when I’m in a loaner that is 16k miles or another user has 20k miles in 1.5 years and still is hitting 515 miles on 100% capacity and mine with 805 miles is 500, that seems a bit off

Car date was 10/22 by the way.

Back