Seriously looking at pre owned 23 or 24 pre owned - has anyone successfully wire V2H as a backup?

Rhinoww

Member

Joined
Jun 9, 2026
Messages
36
Reaction score
28
Giving some serious consideration to a pre owned 23 or 24 touring with an aluminum roof. I am also looking to 1 get set up with a smaller solar array that might give me 60 or so miles of range and 2 given the battery size I’d love to get set up as a dedicated V2H backup for things like my NG furnace blower, refrigerators and some other home basics. I have read that Lucids complete V2H setup has been in process for years. Has anyone used other off the shelf setups for a cut off from the power line and importantly to get the battery to power a dedicated smaller panel? Am I dreaming - or does a software issue prevent the use of other non lucid parts?

Also curious if there are concerns generally with a pre owned in the 20k mile range. I typically buy pre owned and drive my cars until the wheels fall off 😂

Thanks so much - love the community in this forum from what I have read already.

I’m located in south western Ohio if that makes a difference.
 
I have an Enphase home energy system which should be capable of V2H later this year (PV + 25kWh battery + IQ 2 charging station + system controller / transfer switch). Enphase's software will treat the vehicle as just a large home battery added to the existing system, with some additional charge/discharge settings and constraints because it must also be usable as a vehicle.

SigEnergy makes a system of products with similar capability, likely at a lower cost. And dcBel has a V2H capable charging station as well.

dcBel and Sigenergy, to my knowledge, have informally demonstrated V2H with a Lucid vehicle, but I don't know if they are shipping this product yet. Along with Enphase, they should be shipping standards-compliant hardware and software sometime this year, likely late this year at best IMO.

My plan is hold our for standards-compliant V2H hardware which should work with a broad range of vehicles.

Notably, Rivian's new R2 has AC-bidirectional charging capability, like the Air and Gravity, and like newer Volvo and Polestar EVs. This means a relatively compact and inexpensive AC-bidirectional charging station (EVSE) like Lucid's LCHCS, Enphase's IQ2, or Rivian's new EVSE.

Most other EVs are only capable of DC-bidirectional charging, and automakers don't seem to be ready for that yet, or at least are not publicly pushing it. DC-bidirectional charging requires a larger, more expensive EVSE with a built-in inverter. The tradeoff is that it can provide V2H compatibility with a wider range of vehicles.

I'm hedging my bets and planning on having one AC-bidi EVSE and one DC-bidi unit, so I'll likely be able to use nearly any EV brand for V2H.
 
FWIW my two cents would be to include a hard-mounted battery of at least 10kWh. You'll want to have it to power your home while the car is away.
Solar panels produce very little power in stormy weather. But with V2H, you'll be able to drive your car somewhere to charge if needed, and continue powering your home.
 
I have an Enphase home energy system which should be capable of V2H later this year (PV + 25kWh battery + IQ 2 charging station + system controller / transfer switch). Enphase's software will treat the vehicle as just a large home battery added to the existing system, with some additional charge/discharge settings and constraints because it must also be usable as a vehicle.

SigEnergy makes a system of products with similar capability, likely at a lower cost. And dcBel has a V2H capable charging station as well.

dcBel and Sigenergy, to my knowledge, have informally demonstrated V2H with a Lucid vehicle, but I don't know if they are shipping this product yet. Along with Enphase, they should be shipping standards-compliant hardware and software sometime this year, likely late this year at best IMO.

My plan is hold our for standards-compliant V2H hardware which should work with a broad range of vehicles.

Notably, Rivian's new R2 has AC-bidirectional charging capability, like the Air and Gravity, and like newer Volvo and Polestar EVs. This means a relatively compact and inexpensive AC-bidirectional charging station (EVSE) like Lucid's LCHCS, Enphase's IQ2, or Rivian's new EVSE.

Most other EVs are only capable of DC-bidirectional charging, and automakers don't seem to be ready for that yet, or at least are not publicly pushing it. DC-bidirectional charging requires a larger, more expensive EVSE with a built-in inverter. The tradeoff is that it can provide V2H compatibility with a wider range of vehicles.

I'm hedging my bets and planning on having one AC-bidi EVSE and one DC-bidi unit, so I'll likely be able to use nearly any EV brand for V2H.
This is super helpful. It gives me hope that by the end of the year a solution will be feasible. To date I have been leaning towards a natural gas piped generator for backup power but the maintenance seems to be a barrier in addition to the noise and pollution.
I have a few delta battery packs for stopgap for my freezers, but would love to get a system in place that is renewable and has a big battery that can also power my furnace blower- which can also help me rationalize getting much larger and faster ev than I really need (but really want😂).
 
Consistent with @DeaneG response, Claude gave a similar answer o the prompt “Is it possible to build a v2h power backup system that uses a lucid air as the battery and also uses a smaller solar array for top up power” and with a request to dive deeper it made recommendations re size of the solar array and gave estimated costs of $16 to $23k after tax credits.
Claude estimated the cost to install an NG whole house generator of comparable size at about $10-18k plus fuel costs and annual maintenance of about $600.
Some overlap in costs, but not quite a no brainer. No calculation for any excess power sold back to the utility.
Of course it assumed the lucid charger would support v2h later this year 😂 the Claude workaround is pretty much as DeaneG sets out.
This forum is very helpful in getting me to rationalize a car purchase for another purpose…
 
...This forum is very helpful in getting me to rationalize a car purchase for another purpose…
Careful though, I bought my Lucid Air in 2022 partially for the promise of V2H, but it never materialized in the 3.5 years I owned the car. It'll come someday.
You can get firm quotes for your particular situation in a week or two by contacting a few solar/battery installers and/or generator installers.
They'll have specific recommendations for your home, tailored to your area and based on electricity use, sun exposure, other site details, any unusual needs, etc.
 
Careful though, I bought my Lucid Air in 2022 partially for the promise of V2H, but it never materialized in the 3.5 years I owned the car. It'll come someday.
You can get firm quotes for your particular situation in a week or two by contacting a few solar/battery installers and/or generator installers.
They'll have specific recommendations for your home, tailored to your area and based on electricity use, sun exposure, other site details, any unusual needs, etc.
I am totally on board with that caution. Similar to my caution about living in a city several hours way from a physical repair site and 2 hours from a mobile tech base. Caution also as to the size of the company, length of running in the red and amount (must love the Saudi’s ongoing investments) and the overall slow responses from the company. I left a voicemail with sales yesterday and am already resigned to waiting a few days for a return call. The 12% staff reduction a few months ago must have been brutal.
With that said a buddy of mine here has one and loves it
 
Back
Top