Sapphire, Taycan or E-Tron GT

PaulS

Reaction score
I'm starting to plan by next car after my 2022 RS E-Tron GT lease is up in early 2025.

I really love everything about my RS E-Tron GT, especially after I lowered it 10mm, got Michelin Pilot Sport 4Ss and upgraded to 800hp.
It has a lot of details that are important to me, including custom paint, interior bits like deviated stitching, matching seatbelts, etc.

Before the E-Tron GT, I was getting an Air Grand Touring, but there wasn't a lease option at the time so I went with the E-Tron GT.
Now that the lease terms are attractive and 1000hp seems to be the new standard, the Sapphire is on the top of my list.
I would only test drive it in the 800hp mode to test the handling and suspension. The full power will ruin all other cars for me. Driving dynamics are crucial, not just HP.

The most attractive lease would be on the new Performance E-Tron GT model which has 925hp, but I believe I can unlock full time 1100hp, with my guy that does the upgrade.
Audi has a lot of options like a CF roof, custom leather colors, large selection of custom exterior colors. I specced one to $212k.

The Taycan Turbo to Turbo GT would be another option.
Getting deep into the weeds of the J1 platform, the current GTS, Turbo, Turbo S, Audi RS E-Tron GT are all the same car, just software tuned.
I believe the Taycan Turbo can have the same HP as a Turbo GT with less top speed which isn't as important to me.
The issue is Porsche is difficult to work with and the dealers are even more of a pain.
PTS allocations create a lot of friction and they are widely over priced. The saving grace would be the crazy deals we are seeing now.
The Turbo GT really doesn't have any options so $240k would be the window on it. You can spec a Turbo S into high $200ks and have it worth 1/3rd in a year.
Taycan steering and driving dynamics are unmatched. Thats where Porsche wins, hands down.

As far as the Sapphire, I comes perfect as it is and there are no other options to tempt be anyway.
I hope they have more attractive leasing programs by 2025.
I estimate Lucid only sold around half of the 150 allocation so far? Maybe that will nudge Lucid a little.

Looking forward to hearing your perspectives on these options

My current car
ACH2_4-12-24.JPG

I have not heard of a max number of Sapphires from Lucid, though floated on the forum. Is there a source for the limited production claim?

That would suck for those of working our way towards a Sapphire or even current owners. Wreck the car or miss out from an undisclosed limit both situations leave the buyer without an option to get a replacement.

I have not heard of a max number of Sapphires from Lucid, though floated on the forum. Is there a source for the limited production claim?

That would suck for those of working our way towards a Sapphire or even current owners. Wreck the car or miss out from an undisclosed limit both situations leave the buyer without an option to get a replacement.
hmm i didn't either, so i started googling. According to this thread it might be 250?
Sapphire apparently limited to 250 | Lucid Owners - Lucid Motors Forum

I'm starting to plan by next car after my 2022 RS E-Tron GT lease is up in early 2025.

I really love everything about my RS E-Tron GT, especially after I lowered it 10mm, got Michelin Pilot Sport 4Ss and upgraded to 800hp.
It has a lot of details that are important to me, including custom paint, interior bits like deviated stitching, matching seatbelts, etc.

Before the E-Tron GT, I was getting an Air Grand Touring, but there wasn't a lease option at the time so I went with the E-Tron GT.
Now that the lease terms are attractive and 1000hp seems to be the new standard, the Sapphire is on the top of my list.
I would only test drive it in the 800hp mode to test the handling and suspension. The full power will ruin all other cars for me. Driving dynamics are crucial, not just HP.

The most attractive lease would be on the new Performance E-Tron GT model which has 925hp, but I believe I can unlock full time 1100hp, with my guy that does the upgrade.
Audi has a lot of options like a CF roof, custom leather colors, large selection of custom exterior colors. I specced one to $212k.

The Taycan Turbo to Turbo GT would be another option.
Getting deep into the weeds of the J1 platform, the current GTS, Turbo, Turbo S, Audi RS E-Tron GT are all the same car, just software tuned.
I believe the Taycan Turbo can have the same HP as a Turbo GT with less top speed which isn't as important to me.
The issue is Porsche is difficult to work with and the dealers are even more of a pain.
PTS allocations create a lot of friction and they are widely over priced. The saving grace would be the crazy deals we are seeing now.
The Turbo GT really doesn't have any options so $240k would be the window on it. You can spec a Turbo S into high $200ks and have it worth 1/3rd in a year.
Taycan steering and driving dynamics are unmatched. Thats where Porsche wins, hands down.

As far as the Sapphire, I comes perfect as it is and there are no other options to tempt be anyway.
I hope they have more attractive leasing programs by 2025.
I estimate Lucid only sold around half of the 150 allocation so far? Maybe that will nudge Lucid a little.

Looking forward to hearing your perspectives on these options

My current car
View attachment 21455
This might help you decide

This might help you decide

Lol. I watch it every couple of weeks and it did deal the deal for me.
I've listened to every possible interview with the engineers, how the benchmarked , the thought they put into the Sapphire.
Which is why I want it, not for the astronomical lease.

If you want an attractive lease, your only options are Lucid (non-Sapphire) or E-tron GT. The Taycan doesn't lease well and neither does the Sapphire.
You're correct on the Taycan leases. I see lease terms for the Turbo S, but I don't think they will lease the Turbo GT due to the residuals.
I'm hoping Porsche is going to be realistic with the 2025s.

When I was getting a Turbo (pre pandemic) I was getting 18% off, $7500 lease credit, $4500 California State credit.
Problem was the 46% RV!
I ended up getting the Audi for 62% RV, $30k cheaper for the same spec. Best of all, not dealing with Porsche and their dealers.

You're correct on the Taycan leases. I see lease terms for the Turbo S, but I don't think they will lease the Turbo GT due to the residuals.
I'm hoping Porsche is going to be realistic with the 2025s.

When I was getting a Turbo (pre pandemic) I was getting 18% off, $7500 lease credit, $4500 California State credit.
Problem was the 46% RV!
I ended up getting the Audi for 62% RV, $30k cheaper for the same spec. Best of all, not dealing with Porsche and their dealers.
Porsche will never throw up good leases, even on the 2025s. They'd rather not sell than devalue their brand. They've turned into the Rolex of automakers. Make everything appear expensive and hard to attain, even if it's not (like the Taycans).

Porsche will never throw up good leases, even on the 2025s. They'd rather not sell than devalue their brand. They've turned into the Rolex of automakers. Make everything appear expensive and hard to attain, even if it's not (like the Taycans).
I know this is a factor for us. Walked into Porsche post-crash of our GT in a Kia Soul rental with the family. They made it abundantly clear that we were not wanted through complete disinterest of engagement.

I gave them a pass and came back several months later in our GT-P. They allowed me to sit in the Taycan 24'. That was about it. No offer of a test drive, and I didn't bother asking after almost 10-15 minutes in the car.

Maybe I misread both situations, but the reception did not feel welcoming. Made it clear I was really interested in the 25' model year due to the charging rates, and the downsides vs the Lucid could be overlooked given we are likely to be in Portugal for several months.

I am not sure how many others have received a similar response. This certainly factored into crossing Porsche off my list of future cars.

Wait, you don't want to buy 5 Macans and 3 Cayennes to get a GT allocation? :p
We joke, but a friend did that and still didn't get an allocation. Dealer screwed him.
Even worse another friend did that with Ferrari to get an SP3 allocation, bought every pig car they had, dealer screwed him at the end too.

I know this is a factor for us. Walked into Porsche post-crash of our GT in a Kia Soul rental with the family. They made it abundantly clear that we were not wanted through complete disinterest of engagement.

I gave them a pass and came back several months later in our GT-P. They allowed me to sit in the Taycan 24'. That was about it. No offer of a test drive, and I didn't bother asking after almost 10-15 minutes in the car.

Maybe I misread both situations, but the reception did not feel welcoming. Made it clear I was really interested in the 25' model year due to the charging rates, and the downsides vs the Lucid could be overlooked given we are likely to be in Portugal for several months.

I am not sure how many others have received a similar response. This certainly factored into crossing Porsche off my list of future cars.
Porsche dealers didn't get the memo that they sell rebaged Q8s and Q5s. Just because the salesmen wear a Porsche MotorSport vest, doesn't make them important.
As great as the Taycan is, they values get smoked on them.
This was always known by Porsche Financial because the Turbo S lease always has a RV of 42%.

Very true. With Porsche, it's best to buy a 911 or 718. Other than that, it makes no financial sense

Very true. With Porsche, it's best to buy a 911 or 718. Other than that, it makes no financial sense
Cars rarely make financial sense. If you want a deal on a 1000+ HP car, buy a used Air DE.
You want the best sports sedan available, buy a Sapphire.
It will be interesting to see what a "used" Sapphire goes for.
I had concerns with the Air software, but it kept getting better and better. I bought the Sapphire as a leap of faith. I have no regrets.
My Sapphire will not be going up for sale any time soon.

Where was this? What Porsche dealership?
I walked into a Porsche dealership a while ago and spent 10 minutes in the parking lot looking at cars. Nobody thought to offer me any help until I went to grab something from my GT. I said “no thanks”, while remembering why I don’t drive a Porsche anymore.

Porsche dealers didn't get the memo that they sell rebaged Q8s and Q5s. Just because the salesmen wear a Porsche MotorSport vest, doesn't make them important.
As great as the Taycan is, they values get smoked on them.
This was always known by Porsche Financial because the Turbo S lease always has a RV of 42%.
Probably fairer to say the E-Tron GT is a rebadged Taycan. But either way...the Audi is usually the less expensive way to go. Interestingly, I see a number of Taycans on the road but very few E-Tron GTs. Since they are essentially the same car, I would think that the difference is badge engineering.

If you will only test drive the Sapphire on 800HP mode because you're worried that it will ruin the other cars, that means you have already made up your mind and consider the Sapphire to be the better car. All of these cars are a bad financial investment, so why not buy the one you want most?

Probably fairer to say the E-Tron GT is a rebadged Taycan. But either way...the Audi is usually the less expensive way to go. Interestingly, I see a number of Taycans on the road but very few E-Tron GTs. Since they are essentially the same car, I would think that the difference is badge engineering.
Interesting... Will the 2025 E-Tron GT have increased range and charging curve that the new Taycan will?

Back