• NOTICE (May 14 - 11:00 PM - 1:00 AM ET)

LucidOwners.com server will be down for maintenance during this scheduled time.
    Please note there will be a period of time when the forum is unaccessible. Thank you for your patience and understanding.

Road-tripping the Air is different than other EVs

DeaneG

Verified Owner
Cars
Air GT, XC40 P8 EV
Referral Code
3OKY7YGA
After road-tripping EVs since 2011, I was surprised to find that I use our #Lucid Air differently, and actually closer to how I'd do it in an ICE vehicle. Rather than DC fast charging just enough to make it to the next charging stop, I often charge the Air to about 90% and then proceed onward, for ICE-like flexibility on the road. The Air's huge range means that's likely the only charging stop of the day with no worries about finding another station. And there may not be a need for a stop the next day if if you stay at a hotel with overnight EV charging available. It's so much easier than with other cars.

Lucid face at Carrizo.jpg

Postcard level photo. How long does it usually take to get to 90?
It depends on the charging station, the car's initial battery state of charge, etc. In yesterday's case it was less than 30 minutes from about 50% SOC to about 90%. This is the slower half of the charging curve, but doing so meant no more worries about charging for the rest of the day.

We used the time to walk a few blocks and pick up sandwiches for later.

My favorite thing about taking this car on road trips is there's been more than one occasion where my wife would say "don't you need to stop and charge the car?" and my answer is "nope we're fine" and I'd still either make it home or to our destination with 20% left. 90% SOC to 20% SOC gives plenty distance and we'd likely need to stop before then anyway, whereas if I had a 300 mile range EV, which is typical best case for most other EVs, I'd be annoyed because 0% to 20% SOC in perfect conditions is only 200 miles. You'd have to stop at least 1 hour sooner than you would in the Lucid to travel the same distance.

After road-tripping EVs since 2011, I was surprised to find that I use our #Lucid Air differently, and actually closer to how I'd do it in an ICE vehicle. Rather than DC fast charging just enough to make it to the next charging stop, I often charge the Air to about 90% and then proceed onward, for ICE-like flexibility on the road. The Air's huge range means that's likely the only charging stop of the day with no worries about finding another station. And there may not be a need for a stop the next day if if you stay at a hotel with overnight EV charging available. It's so much easier than with other cars.

View attachment 11618
Great post and a superb photo! I've seen the western wildflower bloom on the news a few times over the last week or so, may I ask where this pic was taken at?

Great post and a superb photo! I've seen the western wildflower bloom on the news a few times over the last week or so, may I ask where this pic was taken at?
That was shell creek road, just north of highway 58. Flowers are great for the first two miles or so from highest 58 going north. Avoid the other(northern) end of shell creek rd. It's a rough agricultural road up there.

Back