Road trip to Canada

eLUCID8

Verified Owner
Cars
Air GT
Hi all,
I plan to drive my Air GT (19 inch wheels) from Boston to Mont Tremblant, Quebec, Canada which is about 400 miles and wanted to get some input
  • I’m tempted to see if I can do it without charging on the way. Has anyone successfully pulled off that kind of mileage in the wild on a full charge? (2 adults, 2 medium suitcases, using seat heaters instead of climate control)
  • Fortunately there are charging stations on the way if my efficiency is not good enough. However, I am a bit worried about EV charging in Canada. My concern is partly due to lack of experience in Canada but also partly because I don’t see many DC fast charge options on the map, even in Montreal. What are peoples’ experiences with DC fast charging in Quebec? Is it safer to re-charge in the US before entering Canada?
Thanks for any advice!

I have a GT with 19" wheels as well. In the cold weather I'm doubtful you'll get 400+ miles. Best case scenario, if you do, it's going to be nerve-wracking towards the end. I took mine on a trip in December and maybe had a range of 350+ miles. (Cold weather, 80 MPH, lots of accelerating, using the heat and massagers.)

I can't speak to charging in CA but I have learned that planning on charging early and often makes for a less stressful--and much more enjoyable--driving experience.

you could probably get 400mi if you drive at 50-55mph but is it practical though? i would suggest charging when it's 60-70% depleted. that should give you enough in case if you want to skip the first EA charging station (because, you know, it's not reliable all the time).

Between cold weather driving and the poor reliability of EA chargers, I absolutely would not attempt it. I guarantee you won't make it under your stipulated conditions. You could turn what might be an otherwise pleasant trip into a miserable one. I would take helloluucid's recommendation and begin looking for your first charger when you're SOC is about 30-40% remaining.

Last summer I went from Boston to Trois-Rivieres which is half way between Montreal & Quebec. I was very new to EVs and had my GT 19" for less than a month so I was super conservative and cautious.

I don't remember the exact numbers but I charged pretty high (at least 90%) at the Lebanon EA.

I was in Canada for about 4 days with some, but not a ton of driving. I used an Electrify Canada charging station when I arrived up there and again before I left just to be cautious. It was seamless to use. The big difference is that you, obviously, have to pay for it and with EC you place money on account and then use the credits. I still have some left but I go there each summer so no big deal.

Especially with the cold weather, I would not begin to tempt trying it. I didn't fully charge in Canada before I left for my return trip and with AC going and 80 mph speeds, I got super nervous about reaching Lebanon again to the point I turned off AC.

EC worked well for me. I never looked into alternate charging systems.

Made that drive at Thanksgiving from Philly in my Kona EV (waiting still to get the Lucid). Mt Tremblant has plenty of charging stations, and if your at the Fairmont they have a station in the parking garage. Get the Electric Circuit app before you go, and you'll be all set. there is a high speed charger just past the border entry. Very convenient.

Hi all,
I plan to drive my Air GT (19 inch wheels) from Boston to Mont Tremblant, Quebec, Canada which is about 400 miles and wanted to get some input
  • I’m tempted to see if I can do it without charging on the way. Has anyone successfully pulled off that kind of mileage in the wild on a full charge? (2 adults, 2 medium suitcases, using seat heaters instead of climate control)
  • Fortunately there are charging stations on the way if my efficiency is not good enough. However, I am a bit worried about EV charging in Canada. My concern is partly due to lack of experience in Canada but also partly because I don’t see many DC fast charge options on the map, even in Montreal. What are peoples’ experiences with DC fast charging in Quebec? Is it safer to re-charge in the US before entering Canada?
Thanks for any advice!
Your best bet for charging station is Circuit Electrique. You should definitely get the app. They have a lot of charging locations. The only downside is the charging speed. Most are 50kw with some of them now 100kw.

Electrify Canada is still a joke at this point. I have no idea why they are sooooo behind compared to EA.

Petro-Canada has a few high power stations as well. There's one in Boisbriand which could be convenient for your trip. It's roughly one hour away from Mont-Tremblant.

Last summer I went from Boston to Trois-Rivieres which is half way between Montreal & Quebec. I was very new to EVs and had my GT 19" for less than a month so I was super conservative and cautious.

I don't remember the exact numbers but I charged pretty high (at least 90%) at the Lebanon EA.

I was in Canada for about 4 days with some, but not a ton of driving. I used an Electrify Canada charging station when I arrived up there and again before I left just to be cautious. It was seamless to use. The big difference is that you, obviously, have to pay for it and with EC you place money on account and then use the credits. I still have some left but I go there each summer so no big deal.

Especially with the cold weather, I would not begin to tempt trying it. I didn't fully charge in Canada before I left for my return trip and with AC going and 80 mph speeds, I got super nervous about reaching Lebanon again to the point I turned off AC.

EC worked well for me. I never looked into alternate charging systems.
Can we not pay electrify Canada with a credit card? How about others?

I have only had very limited experience in Canada, 2 trips. I haven't done a ton of research into options.

With Electric Canada I used the no monthly fee option so the rates were slightly higher. Rather than just paying for a session at the end of the charge they add money to your account. Everytime it drops to $5 they add your preselected flat amount which I set at $10 which was the lowest option. This resulted in me carrying a small balance when I was done.

I also charged at another place called Electric Circuit. With them I had to add money. I added $20 and used $18.82 of it. I still have the small difference in account.

All of these were in Canadian dollars so multiply them by about 75% for the US equivalent. It was nice adding $10 but only being charged $7.50-$8 or $20 for $15-$16.

I do not know if others do true pay as you go.

I have only had very limited experience in Canada, 2 trips. I haven't done a ton of research into options.

With Electric Canada I used the no monthly fee option so the rates were slightly higher. Rather than just paying for a session at the end of the charge they add money to your account. Everytime it drops to $5 they add your preselected flat amount which I set at $10 which was the lowest option. This resulted in me carrying a small balance when I was done.

I also charged at another place called Electric Circuit. With them I had to add money. I added $20 and used $18.82 of it. I still have the small difference in account.

All of these were in Canadian dollars so multiply them by about 75% for the US equivalent. It was nice adding $10 but only being charged $7.50-$8 or $20 for $15-$16.

I do not know if others do true pay as you go.
Bummer. In Iceland, I had to use credit card to buy a gas card for use with the rental but at the end of the trip, they allowed to use the gas card and then go inside the gas stations and pay the difference in credit card. In Canada, there is no such option I guess.

Bummer. In Iceland, I had to use credit card to buy a gas card for use with the rental but at the end of the trip, they allowed to use the gas card and then go inside the gas stations and pay the difference in credit card. In Canada, there is no such option I guess.
What? I just paid with my credit card at every gas station in Iceland.

What? I just paid with my credit card at every gas station in Iceland.
Mine did not work at the pump but worked at the cashier. Lots of others had the same issue.

Yes, you can use a credit card at Electrify Canada. With Petro-Canada there's an app, as is the case for Shell Recharge. BC Hydro and others who are tied to the Flo network work with the ChargePoint app.

Yes, you can use a credit card at Electrify Canada. With Petro-Canada there's an app, as is the case for Shell Recharge. BC Hydro and others who are tied to the Flo network work with the ChargePoint app.
Got it. Thanks.

Back