All, I’m 3/4 way through a 2K mile road trip (my first) and ran into charging emergency with a faulty Lucid CCS/J1772 to NACS adapter. Below are the details for the charging challenges BUT one solution got us out of a serious pickle. We had 149 dynamic miles and 185 miles to nearest confirmed Tesla charging spot. Stuck in Bandon, OR we didn’t know what to do until I stumbled upon a RV park. I rented an RV space, plugged into the 40a service and was able to put a charge on the car to get us going again. KEEP that in mind, for $80-100 you can get a full charge overnight with your car, or even just sit there for a few hours at 9kWh to get you back on track.
Our issues with the chargers and Tesla superchargers taught us some important lesson:
1-use the Tesla app, go to “Charge your other EV” and look for Tesla charging. If it’s not on that map, the car didn’t work at all Supercharger. We tried a dozen stations that Google or GhatGPT found but none that weren’t on the app would work
2-check your adapter BEFORE your trip. We had not used the adapter before so didn’t know of any issues. We tried a dozen J1772 connections using the adapter and they all failed. We aren’t home yet so I dont know if it’s a bad adapter or just not supported. I received guidance from Lucid it should work, it didn’t. My plan when I get home is to get another adapter from J1772 to NACS and test it.
3-The first time I tried a CCS connection with the adapter it didn’t work (EVCS), but the next stop (EVCS in Brookings, OR) it did…so if at first you dont succeed, try another.
4-serious wind will impact range! We had been driving with a 3.3 efficiency for 1,300 miles but the leg from Bandon to Brookings in a big headwind reduced our efficiency by 20% and the buffer we had to get us to Arcata disappeared 40% into the drive, which prompted us to stop in Brookings and try a CCS adapter or rent another RV spot. Note the wind conditions before you attempt a drive that’s going to get your there with less than 25% buffer
Otherwise the experience was great, what a great driving car. hotels with Tesla hookups worked great, Superchargers (that were listed) worked great.
Our issues with the chargers and Tesla superchargers taught us some important lesson:
1-use the Tesla app, go to “Charge your other EV” and look for Tesla charging. If it’s not on that map, the car didn’t work at all Supercharger. We tried a dozen stations that Google or GhatGPT found but none that weren’t on the app would work
2-check your adapter BEFORE your trip. We had not used the adapter before so didn’t know of any issues. We tried a dozen J1772 connections using the adapter and they all failed. We aren’t home yet so I dont know if it’s a bad adapter or just not supported. I received guidance from Lucid it should work, it didn’t. My plan when I get home is to get another adapter from J1772 to NACS and test it.
3-The first time I tried a CCS connection with the adapter it didn’t work (EVCS), but the next stop (EVCS in Brookings, OR) it did…so if at first you dont succeed, try another.
4-serious wind will impact range! We had been driving with a 3.3 efficiency for 1,300 miles but the leg from Bandon to Brookings in a big headwind reduced our efficiency by 20% and the buffer we had to get us to Arcata disappeared 40% into the drive, which prompted us to stop in Brookings and try a CCS adapter or rent another RV spot. Note the wind conditions before you attempt a drive that’s going to get your there with less than 25% buffer
Otherwise the experience was great, what a great driving car. hotels with Tesla hookups worked great, Superchargers (that were listed) worked great.