Road Test Report- 600 miles, cold weather, HA

Gandalf

Verified Owner
Cars
'22 AGT/ '21 Macan
Just got back from a round trip from Colorado to Santa Fe. Total ~650 miles. Entire trip was on divided highway, speeds = limit +/- 10 mph average. Temps on the way down were in the 50s, on the return, it was snowy, very foggy, and about 25 degrees.
-Average Kwh = 2.7 (both ways, oddly enough, considering the drop in temps)
-Didn't need to, but charged at 2 EA stations. One on the way down, and one on the way back. Trip down charge was a pain- 4x disconnected from charger, and no response from EA customer service. Finally (on the 5th try at a 350 charger) managed to connect via the app, and got decent charging. SOC was about 35%, and we started at 160 Kwh, but dropped quickly to 70-80. Still, managed to get up to 60% SOC fairly quickly. On the way home, stopped at another EA charger in Trinidad, and charged up quickly with no problem. Picked up 35% charge in 16 minutes.
-HA was generally fine, and it didn't take long to get accustomed to the tiny twerk on the wheel to keep the car happy. Only issue was on some curvier stretches- steering wheel icon would grey out halfway through the turn and tell me that "manual steering is required". Not a big deal, but you really do need to be paying attention.
-Snowy roads were no problem at all, even with the all-season tires. Didn't notice any slippage at all. Only weird issue was that twice I got the loud red alerts to "keep my hands on the wheel" when I wasn't using HA, and was most definitely steering.
-Nav worked fine, but was not fully up-to-date at one exit for the second charger. Lots of construction around the intersection/off ramp, and Lucid app didn't have it (but clearly, it was several months old). EA nav did have the correct/updated route.
-Heaadlights, while normally fantastic, weren't that great in the fog. Don't know if they plan to add a 'shine lower' effect to counteract the fog, but it would have been welcome.
-Heated seats and wheel were also very welcome and worked well- but I have to say that even on high fan speeds, I felt chilled on the upper half of my body. Seemed like the cold was radiating hard through the glass roof.
-As others have mentioned, the 'estimated range at destination" is laughably wrong (started at 190, ended up at 35). Don't know why they bother.
All in all, it was a fantastic road trip. The car seems made for long cruises on highways. Had hoped for better range, but even at low temps, it was perfectly fine. Nav did tell us that we'd probably want a charge on the trip home, and we needed a break anyway. I'm getting too familiar with the nation's Walmarts.
Finally- just loaded up the tow truck with the car- it's going to the temporary service center to take care of some trim issues that were present at delivery. Getting through to CS for instructions was impossible, and the printed manual was apparetnly out of date (there's no tow truck mode in the settings anymore- online manual says to put it in neutral). Still haven't heard back from them, and gotta say, not super pleased with the response.
Anyway, another data point for everyone out there- Bundle up if it gets cold.

Just got back from a round trip from Colorado to Santa Fe. Total ~650 miles. Entire trip was on divided highway, speeds = limit +/- 10 mph average. Temps on the way down were in the 50s, on the return, it was snowy, very foggy, and about 25 degrees.
-Didn't need to, but charged at 2 EA stations. One on the way down, and one on the way back. Trip down charge was a pain- 4x disconnected from charger, and no response from EA customer service. Finally (on the 5th try at a 350 charger) managed to connect via the app, and got decent charging. SOC was about 35%, and we started at 160 Kwh, but dropped quickly to 70-80. Still, managed to get up to 60% SOC fairly quickly. On the way home, stopped at another EA charger in Trinidad, and charged up quickly with no problem. Picked up 35% charge in 16 minutes.
-HA was generally fine, and it didn't take long to get accustomed to the tiny twerk on the wheel to keep the car happy. Only issue was on some curvier stretches- steering wheel icon would grey out halfway through the turn and tell me that "manual steering is required". Not a big deal, but you really do need to be paying attention.
-Snowy roads were no problem at all, even with the all-season tires. Didn't notice any slippage at all. Only weird issue was that twice I got the loud red alerts to "keep my hands on the wheel" when I wasn't using HA, and was most definitely steering.
-Nav worked fine, but was not fully up-to-date at one exit for the second charger. Lots of construction around the intersection/off ramp, and Lucid app didn't have it (but clearly, it was several months old). EA nav did have the correct/updated route.
-Heaadlights, while normally fantastic, weren't that great in the fog. Don't know if they plan to add a 'shine lower' effect to counteract the fog, but it would have been welcome.
-Heated seats and wheel were also very welcome and worked well- but I have to say that even on high fan speeds, I felt chilled on the upper half of my body. Seemed like the cold was radiating hard through the glass roof.
-As others have mentioned, the 'estimated range at destination" is laughably wrong (started at 190, ended up at 35). Don't know why they bother.
All in all, it was a fantastic road trip. The car seems made for long cruises on highways. Had hoped for better range, but even at low temps, it was perfectly fine. Nav did tell us that we'd probably want a charge on the trip home, and we needed a break anyway. I'm getting too familiar with the nation's Walmarts.
Finally- just loaded up the tow truck with the car- it's going to the temporary service center to take care of some trim issues that were present at delivery. Getting through to CS for instructions was impossible, and the printed manual was apparetnly out of date (there's no tow truck mode in the settings anymore- online manual says to put it in neutral). Still haven't heard back from them, and gotta say, not super pleased with the response.

Did you ever get a response from CS, and have you gotten your car back?

Thanks for the report.
Hope you get your car back soon.
My experience has been almost identical to yours with efficiency in cold weather and fantastic performance in snow.
Still get 300 miles or so of range in cold weather , on highway trips, which I am happy with.

Did you ever get a response from CS, and have you gotten your car back?
Eventually I did, but too late to do any good. They were super apologetic (obviously a case of left hand not speaking to right hand..). But to answer your question, we still don't have the car- probably late this week. Apparently, the piece of trim (missing when the car was delivered) was only delivered yesterday! Not sure why they took the car on 11/15... At any rate, they will have had the car in shop for longer than we had it after delivery. Missing it terribly... 😰

Eventually I did, but too late to do any good. They were super apologetic (obviously a case of left hand not speaking to right hand..). But to answer your question, we still don't have the car- probably late this week. Apparently, the piece of trim (missing when the car was delivered) was only delivered yesterday! Not sure why they took the car on 11/15... At any rate, they will have had the car in shop for longer than we had it after delivery. Missing it terribly... 😰

I bet. I had to leave my car for a whole week when I had it PPFed and tinted. Like parting involuntarily with a small child.

...with a small child who can accelerate you to escape velocity.
chomping at the bit to get it this week- hope they come through.

Great report with lots of useful information. Get posting them!

Back