Rapidly varying level 2 charge rates

Adnillien

Referral Code K9WIJHB0
Verified Owner
Cars
Lucid GT
Referral Code
K9WIJHB0
I am wondering if anyone else has seen rapidly varying level 2 charge rates. Yesterday was the first time that I have seen this. As background, I routinely charge at work and the charger provides between 5 and 6 kW according to the Lucid app. I have been using the same group of chargers for over 1 year including last summer. Typically, the app shows 5 or 6kW in and a charge rate of 17 to 22 miles per hour. I have 21" wheels so 17 mph is 4.0kW into the battery, 22 mph is 5.2 kW into the battery. If the car is not cooling the battery, I would expect about 15% conversion loss so the high numbers match. Last summer when when the temperatures were over 95 degrees, I would see a constant 17-19 mph charge rate. Again, this is expected because some of the input power is used to cool the battery.

Yesterday was the first day since last October that I have charged with outside temperature above 90 degrees. The input power always displayed 5 or 6 kW as usual, but the charge rate would vary from 22 mph down to 10 mph. It would stay at 21-22 mph for ten to fifeteen minutes and then drop down to 10-11 mph for four or five minutes. It would then go back up. It continued this oscillation throughout the charge. I noticed it because the time remaining would vary between one and three hours. I have attached a few pictures below.

I have also emailed this to customer care.

1681235879107.png

1681235904480.png

1681235934446.png
1681235965863.png

The only thing I can think of is that the batteries were getting too hot which might suggest that the cooling system for the batteries is not working properly. You better figure this one out soon as the temps (I predict) will be in the >100 soon.

Back