Phone as a key - distance from car

Truthlesshunter

Active Member

Joined
Oct 27, 2025
Messages
204
Reaction score
156
Cars
AirGT-718S-Lightning
So i'm thinking of doing something crazy and finally converting to phone as a key and abandoning the fob. I have a new vehicle where phone as a key works flawlessly (knock on wood) and I would love to do the same with the lucid as not carrying keys is way more convenient than i thought.

The latest updates seem to have help PaaK a fair amount. For those of you that have it, how far from the car do you need to be before it unlocks?

The reason I ask is because I have an attached two car garage. The lucid sits in the garage area further from the house...so about 15 feet from the door. if I walk around the house, will it unlock the car? Currently, I have the fob on a keyhook next to the door to the garage and as long as the fob doesn't move, car stays locked..but as soon as i get a few feet closer, the car will unlock.

thoughts? opinions?

And I would keep the card in my wallet as a backup.
 
So i'm thinking of doing something crazy and finally converting to phone as a key and abandoning the fob. I have a new vehicle where phone as a key works flawlessly (knock on wood) and I would love to do the same with the lucid as not carrying keys is way more convenient than i thought....The reason I ask is because I have an attached two car garage. The lucid sits in the garage area further from the house...so about 15 feet from the door. if I walk around the house, will it unlock the car? ...
I think you'll be OK. You can always turn off passive unlock to avoid repetitive unlocking if it seems to be a problem.
 
I think you'll be OK. You can always turn off passive unlock to avoid repetitive unlocking if it seems to be a problem.
that makes sense. Then you have to hit the door handle to unlock (with the phone nearby) correct?
 
that makes sense. Then you have to hit the door handle to unlock (with the phone nearby) correct?
With your phone in your pocket or purse, you press the driver's door handle all the way in against its spring. Then the car will wake and unlock.

Sometimes, with some phones, you may need to wake your phone first.
For me, it nearly always works without waking the phone while I'm in my garage , but not that often when I'm away somewhere.
 
that makes sense. Then you have to hit the door handle to unlock (with the phone nearby) correct?
Yeah that only kinda works tho. I gave up on it you end up sitting around waiting for the car to wake up half the time. It still auto locks even when set not to, it just doesn't really work as reliable as walk away and walk up does.
 
The Air's fob is more reliable, phone as a key is more convenient, when it works.
 
hehe, so i'm taking that i should just stick to the fob and resign to a car that still uses a key
 
hehe, so i'm taking that i should just stick to the fob and resign to a car that still uses a key
There's no harm in trying the phone as a key. I've gone back and forth on phone vs fob a couple times.
 
I'm waiting to read all the responses ranging from 100' to 6". That's about as specific as my range has been. And 3 times today, I had to push the door handle in while I was standing next to the car with my phone in hand. From what I understand, some of that is related to android not letting the app communicate all the time even though I've given it full permission to do that
 
My experience has been all over the place too sometimes it unlocks from way farther than expected, other times I’m standing right next to the car pressing the handle. Seems very phone/OS dependent. Keeping the fob or card as backup definitely feels wise.
 
Always, always carry the card as a backup, with either fob or phone as primary.
 
My fob is in a faraday bag in the house and i've not as yet taken it out to use it.My phone seems to work most of the time but it does occasionally let me wait by the car for 10-15 seconds whilst it figures out what it wants to do. I always press the handle in to lock as I want to do that as soon as I leave the car rather than keep looking back over my shoulder as I walk away. I also sometimes whilst at home get the message that the passive lock has been disabled, it seems to do that when it locks/unlocks several times without the doors being opened. Always carry your card as backup and I think you can set up a pin for a valet to use with your card if needs be?
 
Back
Top