Peter Rawlinson on rising costs (no hikes for existing reservations)

I remember when Tesla added the second motor to the S the range was not affected much as the driveline becomes more efficient ( both motors are only working some fraction of their total capacity). This may be true of the Lucid as well.
That wasn't the reason it was more efficient. The motors in the Model S are induction motors, this means when you're not using them, they spin freely (minus bearing friction). They made the front motor smaller and less powerful so therefore more efficient. After getting up to speed, they could then use the smaller more efficient motor exclusively. This offset the added weight.

That is a big question for me as well as I plan to add AWD to the Pure config. I hope that the range of the Pure remains above 400 by adding AWD. Otherwise I may rethink the Pure. Generally with two motors as they both consume energy the range goes down but in that case you would think the Touring would have LESS range than the Pure if they both have the same battery. Or perhaps Lucid is doing something different? A larger battery with AWD but one that still leaves the footwell space? I've only seen Lucid talk about two different battery packs though.

You would also think that the HP would increase in AWD as it is being driven by two motors and bring the Pure HP in line with the Touring?

All speculation. I think this is a question that will be answered later this year once they start to get closer to production of the pure. I did ask sales but I got the following non answer:

"the Lucid air Pure does come with a Single Motor, Rear-Wheel Drive with an option to upgrade to Dual Motor, All Wheel Drive. Both the Touring and Pure have a projected range of 406 miles. While the Pure has 480 horsepower, the Touring has 620 horsepower."
I read on Wikipedia that the Pure has an 88kw battery while the Touring has a 92kw battery. If that is true, the AWD version of the Pure probably will have less range than the Touring unless the motors are smaller with significantly less HP.

I think after using permanent magnet motors in the M3, Tesla switched to permanent magnet motors in the Raven iteration of MS.
I believe they switched over the front motor but don’t quote me

I read on Wikipedia that the Pure has an 88kw battery while the Touring has a 92kw battery. If that is true, the AWD version of the Pure probably will have less range than the Touring unless the motors are smaller with significantly less HP.
To get 400 mile range out of approx 90kW battery you need to get close to 4.5 MIles/kWh or 225 watts/mile. Not sure the reduction in weight will do the trick. Given the life expectancy of a battery pack, the Pure should not only be the most efficient car, but it will also last 500k MIles.

Back