Out of Spec Review of the Model X

allenmhc

Active Member

Joined
Jul 31, 2025
Messages
229
Reaction score
445
Location
Bay Area, CA
Cars
Gravity DE, Model 3
Gravity DE Number
266
As a former Model X (2022) owner, I was curious about how the slightly-refreshed one did:


I guess I shouldn't have been surprised, given the tepid reception of this refresh elsewhere, that it wasn't received well. It did, though, give me some perspective on how some of the nagging issues on the early Gravity builds aren't unique to Lucid engineering. Kyle even calls out the comparison to the Gravity near the end. These are the problems they ran into with their Model X (some sound familiar to Gravity owners):
  • Suspension problems and air leakage, leading to replacing the unit
  • HVAC and heat pump failure
  • Frunk (which is manual, still) that takes 2+ times to open, with the latch not disengaging the first time
  • Camera wouldn't boot up
  • Autopilot/FSD wouldn't turn on, needs to be reset via service mode
My own experience w/ my Model X required multiple shop trips for the Falcon Wing doors and the HW3 hardware, but what had always irked me about this class of reliability problems is that it's mostly hardware that's the issue, not software; i.e., they can't really be fixed OTA, and will almost certainly require taking the car into the shop for a few weeks to get straightened out.

Maybe the lesson here is that low-production vehicles will inherently be less reliable, just because there are fewer units manufactured so less opportunities to work out issues, plus the manufacturer starts prioritizing the mass-market vehicles more just due to scale and overall customer satisfaction. If the Tesla trajectory holds, that worries me a bit with the imminent arrival of the midsize SUV in 26/27; how much attention will Lucid have left for improving the Gravity then?
 
I just posted about that video in the Gravity:Bugs/Issues thread.
Specifically about the comment near the end about the Gravity.

 
Whenever I watch an OoS video now, I search the transcript for references to the Gravity.
 
As a two-time former Model X owner, I can relate to everything Kyle says, and also in this other video:

Except for FSD and software stability/features, no reason to choose the Model X over the Gravity. And those weren't enough for us.
 
Back
Top