Our Third Gravity DE . . . Are They Getting Better?

Weird. I assume it's there to cut down on reflections or something.
I assume so too...though I don't think that would do much to mitigate the reflections that I do get.
 
I don't know enough about software to know if it's usual for bugs to affect one vehicle but not another identical model running the same software.

For instance, Homelink geofencing works in our new Gravity but not in our older Gravity. They're both Dream Editiions with all the same options and the same version of the software. We also have the same user settings in both cars. Our older Gravity would accept Homellink programming only from the passenger side of the front bumper, contrary to the on-screen instructions to use the driver side. But the newer Gravity would accept programming only from the driver side. (I found this out when I tried to program the new Gravity from the passenger side first, as our mobile tech did with the older car.)

So is this a problem with the software or with the hardware in the older car? Same thing with Halo Secure, which is working in the new car but quit working in the older car some time ago. And there may be other differences I won't uncover until I have the newer one on the road more.

It's frustrating enough to try to figure out why something is not working in one Gravity. It's worse when two identical cars are behaving differently. It's got me wondering if this is why almost every software update we receive introduces new problems that some see and some don't.
It's a mistake to assume your vehicles are identical. We already know from people's interactions with the service team that a number of the hardware modules have gone through multiple iterations. It's highly likely that your two Gravities have a variety of hardware modules at different revision levels due to the ~6 months difference in when they were manufactured.
 
It's a mistake to assume your vehicles are identical. We already know from people's interactions with the service team that a number of the hardware modules have gone through multiple iterations. It's highly likely that your two Gravities have a variety of hardware modules at different revision levels due to the ~6 months difference in when they were manufactured.

You're right, of course. By identical I meant the same year and trim version. But you point out a good reason why getting these bugs rooted out may be so seemingly impossible. Is Lucid not encompassing the range of hardware iterations when they issue software updates?
 
The only thing I've noticed that I feel is a little off is they seem to have added a strip of flocking to the front edge of the HUD that I don't remember seeing on the demo model or in other people's pictures and it looks a little bit like a makeshift addition. I assume it's there because of reflections and it was peeling off on one corner but I was able to push it back in place and it's seemed fine since. (you can see it in the top part of the HUD in the attached picture.

Mine definitely does NOT have that on it....which is odd because we took delivery of ours around the same time and my DE number is 82.

We've had 4 HUD units across our 3 Gravity DEs (the HUD in the first Gravity had to be replaced due to severe lens distortion). None of them had this strip of flocking.

Our Gravities are Nos. 067, 238, and 427, produced at almost exactly 3-month intervals.

I'm wondering if the flocking was a protective cover on the frame that should have been removed during assembly or inspection?
 
I don't know enough about software to know if it's usual for bugs to affect one vehicle but not another identical model running the same software.

For instance, Homelink geofencing works in our new Gravity but not in our older Gravity. They're both Dream Editiions with all the same options and the same version of the software. We also have the same user settings in both cars. Our older Gravity would accept Homellink programming only from the passenger side of the front bumper, contrary to the on-screen instructions to use the driver side. But the newer Gravity would accept programming only from the driver side. (I found this out when I tried to program the new Gravity from the passenger side first, as our mobile tech did with the older car.)

So is this a problem with the software or with the hardware in the older car? Same thing with Halo Secure, which is working in the new car but quit working in the older car some time ago. And there may be other differences I won't uncover until I have the newer one on the road more.

It's frustrating enough to try to figure out why something is not working in one Gravity. It's worse when two identical cars are behaving differently. It's got me wondering if this is why almost every software update we receive introduces new problems that some see and some don't.
These vehicles are controlled by multiple processors connected via ethernet. The processors are probably running multithreaded programs meaning multiple programs time sharing the same physical central processor. In other words very complex systems. The short answer is that software has to compensate for variations in the way all the hardware operates. The difference you are seeing between your cars is due to differences in the way different hardware components are operating. It is possible Lucid engineers think they can compensate for those differences with software or it is also possible that some hardware components in one car are just out of spec and need to be replaced. Layer on top of this the possiblity of a flaky connector, intermittent grounding or bad component and its actually remarkable that any two vehicles operate the same.
 
These vehicles are controlled by multiple processors connected via ethernet. The processors are probably running multithreaded programs meaning multiple programs time sharing the same physical central processor. In other words very complex systems. The short answer is that software has to compensate for variations in the way all the hardware operates. The difference you are seeing between your cars is due to differences in the way different hardware components are operating. It is possible Lucid engineers think they can compensate for those differences with software or it is also possible that some hardware components in one car are just out of spec and need to be replaced. Layer on top of this the possiblity of a flaky connector, intermittent grounding or bad component and its actually remarkable that any two vehicles operate the same.

One of my frustrations is that the software updates that come down the pike seem to correct so little in our first Gravity which was and still is plagued by problems we have not seen in the other two. I have asked Lucid several times what can be done to get to the bottom of that by also checking hardware in that first car. So far I have heard nothing back.

There were hints of this from the get-go. When the Miami Service Center tried to reload the software for the non-functioning navigation system, the car would not accept it. It had to stay in the Service Center an extra week while they had repeated conference calls with an HQ engineering team to resolve it. Then when the car was at the Roswell Service Center outside Atlanta a couple of weeks later for a rear drive unit replacement, a major software update came through. Roswell ran into the same problem as Miami in getting the car to accept the update and also had to get HQ involved.

I am getting increasingly worried that if Lucid won't really do a deep dive into the hardware of this early Gravity we may never see this car behave as designed.
 
We just did 82 miles of local running around in the newest Gravity this morning. We also stopped briefly at a Supercharger to check out plug-and-charge. No issues thus far except overly-aggressive lane departure warnings.

So, so far so good.

The main purpose of the outing was to get the car to a Tire Discount store to inspect it for a tire road hazard warranty. Got a piece of good news there. The price of the rear 23” Pirelli has dropped from the $974 I paid a couple oh months ago to $726.
 
I thought they explicitly turned off the Homelink geofencing feature in one of the software updates because it was not reliable and promised to bring it back later? What SW version is your latest DE running?
 
I can see the same thing in your pic. They were referring to the part at the top
No, his definitely doesn't have the same flocking that mine does. Comparison with mine on top where you can clearly see the flocking strip and his without:

Untitled.webp
 
I thought they explicitly turned off the Homelink geofencing feature in one of the software updates because it was not reliable and promised to bring it back later? What SW version is your latest DE running?

3.3.22

Homelink and its geofencing works perfectly so far. Our earlier Gravity, in which geofencing doesn't work, is still on 3.3.20 as it hasn't received the push notification yet.
 
I thought they explicitly turned off the Homelink geofencing feature in one of the software updates because it was not reliable and promised to bring it back later? What SW version is your latest DE running?
I'm running 3.3.22 and geofencing works. December delivery.
 
It’s always worked just not properly.
I am on 3.3.20 and Homelink geofence works 95% of time. By geofence, I mean that as I get close to house, the Homelink button will automatically pop up on dash for me to hit and open door. Not sure if some are expecting geofence automatic open/close where door will open without hitting Homelink button as you pull in driveway. Homelink button also automatically pops up on dash as I pull out of garage (but also have to hit that button for door to close.). Homelink worked this way even with previous software version.
 
I am on 3.3.20 and Homelink geofence works 95% of time. By geofence, I mean that as I get close to house, the Homelink button will automatically pop up on dash for me to hit and open door. Not sure if some are expecting geofence automatic open/close where door will open without hitting Homelink button as you pull in driveway. Homelink button also automatically pops up on dash as I pull out of garage (but also have to hit that button for door to close.). Homelink worked this way even with previous software version.

The Gravity is supposed to have auto open/close on geofencing but it was buggy (go figure) and they disabled it back in August. The email they sent out at the time said they anticipated a fix in September but it's still disabled. (mine also works popping up the button when I leave and return)

 
Our three week old Gravity had an mis-aligned frunk and charge port door when delivered as well as being dirty when delivered so I would not say the initial construction and PDI is better (at least compared to my 4 year old Air). It also constantly goes ”offline” when not at the house so something appears to be bad with the cellular connection. My wife was stranded for about 3 hours with screens that would not activate. Customer service was no help (of course the car was “offline” in the Costco parking lot. The hard reboots were not working. I arrived to transfer the groceries to another car. I also tried hard reboots while on the phone for a Lucid tow. During the 30’ wait for a tow, the reboot finally worked. Not really pleased with the software after this episode. So if you are asking if everything is better, my answer is no.
 
Our three week old Gravity had an mis-aligned frunk and charge port door when delivered as well as being dirty when delivered so I would not say the initial construction and PDI is better (at least compared to my 4 year old Air). It also constantly goes ”offline” when not at the house so something appears to be bad with the cellular connection. My wife was stranded for about 3 hours with screens that would not activate. Customer service was no help (of course the car was “offline” in the Costco parking lot. The hard reboots were not working. I arrived to transfer the groceries to another car. I also tried hard reboots while on the phone for a Lucid tow. During the 30’ wait for a tow, the reboot finally worked. Not really pleased with the software after this episode. So if you are asking if everything is better, my answer is no.
Remove any saved wifi in the car and/or turn off wifi and give that a try. I've never connected mine to wifi (on purpose based on issues other people had) and I have only had the Gravity be offline in the app twice. Both times were in the parking lot of the San Diego Zoo Safari Park where I knew the connection was bad (even our phones only had 1 bar) and only connected to see if it worked there or not, everywhere else I've been able to connect and view the cameras even.

My car was mostly clean when I picked it up in San Diego, the inside of the windshield obviously had never been cleaned as you could still see circles from the suction cups used on the assembly line to place the window. They also left residue from the window sticker on the back driver side window (which we didn't notice because they put the rear window shades up). San Diego seems to be pretty disorganized and overwhelmed though so I can see them not cleaning it.
 
It's a mistake to assume your vehicles are identical. We already know from people's interactions with the service team that a number of the hardware modules have gone through multiple iterations. It's highly likely that your two Gravities have a variety of hardware modules at different revision levels due to the ~6 months difference in when they were manufactured.
Also introducing new modules forks the code base so that you have to special case the updates too… bad scenario… should have been addressed prior to shipping.
 
Back
Top