One-Year Review

Bcovill

Cars
Lucid Air Grand Touring
We took delivery on our Lucid GT exactly one year ago, and I thought I’d share our first anniversary thoughts. We’ve done 5,500 miles, including round trips of 800 and several of 300 miles. Only one problem so far: the original rear license plate holder failed, but a nice young guy in a Lucid mobile van came to the house and quickly replaced it. Both OTA updates and my driving and setting adjustments have substantially improved the charging range and roof/interior AC comfort. Apple Car Play update was great. All in all, a truly great car (our Maserati grantourisimo cabrio, Ferrari 365 GTC/4, 50th anniversary Corvette, BMW X3, and Mini Cooper S convertible are getting a lot less use). We love the styling, power, interior, luxury, trunk space, one-pedal driving, and range — but the handling (21-inch wheels) is my favorite feature. One highlight was sharing the car with friends at a Cars and Coffee event. As a hot rod roared away, one friend asked, “how does it make you feel knowing you could blow the doors off that guy and not make a sound?” If only the Lucid stock I bought would perform as well as the car!

I've done almost 4000 miles in my Touring, agree completely. Lots of people don't realize, Lucid Air is not just " another EV "....the handling and ride is something that puts the Germans to shame. Add to that the cool looks, range, no dealerships, packaging....this car is a game changer. Lucid put a lot of thought and engineering into this product. Hats off to them! Its worth every cent!

I've come across quite a few at my work place who want the car....but balk at the price. Desirability is there which is the first step.

We took delivery on our Lucid GT exactly one year ago, and I thought I’d share our first anniversary thoughts. We’ve done 5,500 miles, including round trips of 800 and several of 300 miles. Only one problem so far: the original rear license plate holder failed, but a nice young guy in a Lucid mobile van came to the house and quickly replaced it. Both OTA updates and my driving and setting adjustments have substantially improved the charging range and roof/interior AC comfort. Apple Car Play update was great. All in all, a truly great car (our Maserati grantourisimo cabrio, Ferrari 365 GTC/4, 50th anniversary Corvette, BMW X3, and Mini Cooper S convertible are getting a lot less use). We love the styling, power, interior, luxury, trunk space, one-pedal driving, and range — but the handling (21-inch wheels) is my favorite feature. One highlight was sharing the car with friends at a Cars and Coffee event. As a hot rod roared away, one friend asked, “how does it make you feel knowing you could blow the doors off that guy and not make a sound?” If only the Lucid stock I bought would perform as well as the car!
Wonderful testament, especially considering your first hand knowledge of the formidable comparisons

...All in all, a truly great car (our Maserati grantourisimo cabrio, Ferrari 365 GTC/4, 50th anniversary Corvette, BMW X3, and Mini Cooper S convertible are getting a lot less use...
Since you've driven both, how would you compare the 365 GTC/4's exhaust note to the Lucid's? ;)
I've owned a couple collector Ferraris, and thought a lot about getting a GTC/4 just for its sound. The one that got away.
Once I became accustomed to driving a high-performance EV, for some reason I lost my taste for collector cars other than in a nostalgic sense. Maybe it's that no gas car makes the cut any more.

I loved your post up until you had to remind me about my Lucid stock investment.😭

I loved your post up until you had to remind me about my Lucid stock investment.😭
It'll come back - you just may have to wait a while.

Since you've driven both, how would you compare the 365 GTC/4's exhaust note to the Lucid's? ;)
I've owned a couple collector Ferraris, and thought a lot about getting a GTC/4 just for its sound. The one that got away.
Once I became accustomed to driving a high-performance EV, for some reason I lost my taste for collector cars other than in a nostalgic sense. Maybe it's that no gas car makes the cut any more.

We’ve owned our C/4 for more than 10 years and put on 15,000 miles — made easy because we do at least one 1,000-mile vintage auto rally every year. The C/4 is a great rally car. It will cruise all day at 100 mph and then crawl along in heavy traffic in 100-degree weather without overheating. As you know, many people think the C/4 is the best sounding of the Enzo Ferraris. I agree, and am very fortunate to be able switch back and forth among great sounding cars and one that hardly makes a sound but can out perform all of them! You should grab a C/4 if you have the chance!
AveSince you've driven both, how would you compare the 365 GTC/4's exhaust note to the Lucid's? ;)

Great review
Congrats

Yes, great review. With 11,000 miles in almost 8 months, my AGT has always been brilliant dynamically and just gets better. Guess I used up my need for the awesome overrun and acceleration sports exhaust note of my Panamera NA GTS and now just like the jet engine sound at low-speed and smooth power delivery and turn-in of the AGT.

It's been year since we picked up our car in Millbrae. I wanted to share our experiences over the past 12 months in case they might be helpful to someone thinking about purchasing a Lucid. The car now has 11,800 miles. We've driven the car between Utah and California three times, from Utah to Colorado and back once, and made shorter trips within CA and UT. I drive the car daily.

Physical issues
No serious problems.
Initially, the gaps between the doors and panels varied quite a bit. I believe this caused a piece of plastic trim at the base of the driver’s side door to snap.
Also, the front passenger door window was not as flush with the B pillar as it should have been. A tech in Utah spent a few hours adjusting the doors.
The Lucid charging cable failed after a few months of use. Lucid quickly replaced it.
Last winter, a sway bar became loose and caused clunking noises, especially when I turned. Lucid paid for a rental car until a tech was able to diagnose and fix the problem.
This past spring, a bubble appeared on the 19” right front passenger side tire. Lucid replaced the tire. As recommended on the forum, I purchased an extended warranty for the tires.

Software issues
Like all owners, we’ve had a variety of software issues. None have been serious.

Charging
We spend most of our time in Utah where we have solar panels on our roof that produce an average of more than 14,000 kWh per year. I charge almost every night to 80% using the Lucid provided cable that is plugged into a 14-50 receptacle in our garage. And, other than the one cable failing, this process has been flawless.
I had considered using Lucid’s higher amperage charger, but since bidirectional flow isn’t available yet, there is no reason to change. When I start a charge in the evening, the car is always ready by the next morning.
When we travel, we do encounter EA chargers that are not functioning, but there always seems to be at least one working. And, although we’ve had to wait at times, such as in Pacific Grove or Lakeshore Plaza in SF, we’ve always been able to charge.
My average for 11k miles is 3.6 mi/kWh; however, this includes the trips between CA and UT during which I frequently drove at 90+ mph, plus the trip to Colorado where I drove at 80+ mph, and numerous drives on Utah freeways where I drive 80+.
I can achieve 4.6 mi/kWh when the outside temperature is between 60-80° and I keep my top speed around 60-65 mph.

Snow
Our AGT has 19” wheels and the factory provided all-season tires. We had a lot of snow in Utah this past winter and the car performed well in it. Our driveway has an 8° incline. Often a few inches of snow will cause difficulties even for AWD cars. Despite times when the drive was unplowed, the Lucid made it up every time.
Once, during a snowstorm I tested the car out on a nearby street that has a slightly greater incline than our driveway. Starting from a dead stop with 4 inches of fresh snow on the street, the car slipped around a little, but it gradually moved uphill and gained speed.

Safety
Recently I was in a situation where the cars in front of me picked up speed as a traffic light changed and then stopped abruptly just as I was looking away from the road. The Lucid display flashed red and the car immediately applied the brakes. The car has never applied the brakes when not needed.

Comfort
We love how quiet the car is. After wrapping up a week-long trip in the Lucid, my wife commented that she never realized how noisy her Subaru Outback was. And, it’s great to be able to turn on the massage feature as you start to feel stiff and sore while on a long drive.

Performance
With the Lucid you never have to wonder whether you’ll have enough power to slip into a space on the freeway or pass a vehicle on a two-lane road. The car is solid. It holds the road well and sway is minimal.

Service
We’ve had the car serviced a few times at the Lucid center in Millbrae and probably six times with the mobile service in Utah. Each time the service was outstanding.

Thank you for your review. After 12,700 miles my experience is similar, although my efficiency is a bit less probably due to driving in freezing weather for 5 months and then 90 degrees plus for a few months.
Aside from the attributes that JJ_5 recounts, the pure joy of driving the AGT with its brilliant suspension, optimal seat support and driving position, and of course instant power make it a unique vehicle for any price. It is beyond compare and in another dimension relative to any sedan extant.

Back