NY and EV Rant of the day

This is absolutely not true. They have a showroom in the meat packing district in NYC. I've been to it.
...this is where the controversy stems from. They dont "sell" cars at the "showroom,"(which is actually a studio), they sell them online. All the studios do is hand over the cars and demonstrate it. So technically, it is not a sales showroom.

...this is where the controversy stems from. They dont "sell" cars at the "showroom,"(which is actually a studio), they sell them online. All the studios do is hand over the cars and demonstrate it. So technically, it is not a sales showroom.
That is correct. NY does not allow direct sales by manufacturers. except for 5 Tesla locations that were allowed as part of a settlement. The cars in the Lucid showrooms don’t even have prices on them. You have to go online and configure the car.

I, too, have been to the Meatpacking studio. (I live a couple of blocks from there). I think the point is that they have no sales staff, so technically, it's not a "sales showroom", just a place to show the car. Customers interested in making a purchase must do so on-line.

This is just absurd. These NY pols that claim they're 'green' are full of crap. Lucid should not have to jump through hoops when they have a car that so obviously qualifies better for a 'clean pass' than almost any other car out there. I've never had this issue with any of my 5 prior & present EVs.

With that said, I do wonder if Lucid is doing anything to try to rectify this in NY.

Really?? You have to go in yourself? I didn’t have to. The DA and office team handled my paperwork but DMV was being a real pain in the neck and required my insurance and documentation all had our full name (including middle) spelled out.

If you are a AAA member you can try to leverage their DMV service offerings. May be less painful.

Good luck
Good to know … I have a test drive on Saturday, 9/2 at the Manhasset showroom, aka studio, for Lucid’s lingo ;-) and I will ask the Studio Advisor? ha! to explain this whole process. I don’t want to deal with DMV, didn’t have to when buying cars and motorcycles from legacy dealers, and didn’t have to when buying the Teslas online. I just hate going to the DMV like everyone else.

Good to know … I have a test drive on Saturday, 9/2 at the Manhasset showroom, aka studio, for Lucid’s lingo ;-) and I will ask the Studio Advisor? ha! to explain this whole process. I don’t want to deal with DMV, didn’t have to when buying cars and motorcycles from legacy dealers, and didn’t have to when buying the Teslas online. I just hate going to the DMV like everyone else.
You will not have to. Lucid has you complete the paperwork, collects the registration fee and sales tax and sends to NY. Your car comes with AZ temp plates and your NY plates arrive a few weeks later.

Agreed.

The Lucid team handled everything for me and it was relatively painless. It took a little more time for mine bc the DMV was being a pain with the names matching exactly on everything (middle name and legal married last name) when in years past they were only concerned with first and last name.

Also great to hear that they are starting to do test drives out of Manhassett. I also noticed they were doing them out of White Plains too - had to go to NJ for mine but that was fine.

Back